Random Georgia News

ECHS05

Today I realized there needs to be a running thread dedicated to posting random Georgia HSFB news. 

We can all use this here thread... 

So... A few things I wanted to get out there...

After looking for the results of a few spring games, I found a few that might be interesting...

2 time defending 5A State Champ Rome played 7A North Paulding and apparently was up 33-6 at halftime, and up 47-6 after 3 quarters. 

Rome appears to be picking up where they left off last year. The worry about Rome is the DL, which is the opposite of last year when they had one of the best DLs in the country... it consisted of 5* OLB Adam Anderson (UGA), 3* DT Jamarcus Chatman (FSU), and 3* SDE Jaquon Griffin (Georgia Tech). But with all of them gone, the entire DL is new... but apparently they played very well. North Paulding was a 8-3 7A playoff team last year... they lost by 2 to Hillgrove, 7 to McEachern, and 14 to Woodstock in the playoffs. Their best win was a crushing of Marietta in the regular season 49-14... this was by far Mariettas worst loss of the year, however they didnt have Harrison Bailey for that game.

Speaking of Marietta... they spanked Sequoyah 41-0 in their spring game, and apparently they looked very good. Sequoyahs not a great team... but Marietta looks like a top team.

---- One of the best games in Georgia will be the 1st week of the year... when Marietta travels to Rome for the opening day of the Corky Kell, thursday August 16th at 8:30pm. Dont see many games topping that one.

This may have been announced before... but I Just noticed Saturday, August 25th, Tucker @ Grayson will be televised live on ESPNU. Does anyone know if Grayson vs Bergen Catholic will be televised? Youd think so...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

In another Spring game this past Friday... Lowndes beat Valdosta 30-21 in 3 quarters. 

As we all know, Lowndes had their "OIAD" (Once In A Decade) team last year, but was upset by McEachern in the 2nd rd of the playoffs 36-31 after being up 31-14 entering the 4th quarter. Lowndes fell asleep in the 4th and gave up 22 points to McEachern to fall victim to complacency...McEachern would go on to the Semifinals before losing to eventual State Champ North Gwinnett 38-17.

Prior to this game, Lowndes was the clear #1 in GA, and obvious favorite to win the 7A State Title. 

This season they were expected to drop off a bit, but remain a Top 10 team in GA 7A... possibly statewide in all classes. Losing Michael Barrett (Michigan Signee) at QB was big, but apparently their new QB, Joe Almond, who is a better passer than Barrett, looks pretty good. 

On the other side, Valdosta is looking to rebound after going 4-7 in 2017, just 1 season after winning the GA 6A State Title game. Valdostas D was solid last season but was constantly on the field due to a piss poor offense.

Valdosta hired Joshua Crawford as their offensive coordinator. Crawford has been a part of 3 state titles in 4 years as an assistant. In 2017, Crawford was the receivers coach & passing game coordinator for 6A State Champ Lee Co. In 2014 & 2015, Crawford was the receivers coach for Colquitt Co when they won 2 state titles. Not sure what position he coached in 2016, but it was at Colquitt... he also coached 1 season at Jefferson Co. FL a few years back.

Valdostas O did look improved from the 3 quarters in the spring game... but the D lost a lot, and itll need to gel... but Rodemaker is a good Defensive coach... 

Either way both look to be solid teams this season. But Lowndes pulled it out 30-21.

Not sure about who will televise the Corky Kell Classic this year. 

Fox Sports South televised it for a few years and then last year they didn't have it. I think a local channel like 11Alive picked it up and streamed it for people around and outside of the state. 

I wouldn't count on FSS having it. I would hope they do, because it's more available to a national audience that way. Honestly haven't heard a thing about television yet this year.

25 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Actually....11Alive did a great job last year.  I wrote them to say as much.  I got a "thank you" text from their sports director.

Rufus>>

I just think Fox Sports South would be better for most people. Easier than streaming anyway. 

You are right though, they did a pretty jam up job announcing etc. Better than GPB does imo. 

A few random points....

1.  Don't put a lot of emphasis on the outcome of Spring games.  It's fun to talk about but they don't mean a lot.

2.  Lowndes did not drop off as much of us would have liked.  Their O-Line is massive and powerful.  They do not run a 4.4 "40" as has been suggested in the past (Smile)...but they'll be a hand full.  Tisdale is one of the best RBs in Georgia.  He'll make some noise this year....and if Almond can sling it...even a little...beating the Vikings will be a tough chore.  Their current PTS  (problem to solve) is pass defense.  They just ain't there yet.  I figure Randy Mac will concentrate on his defense this summer.  Rumor is...he's installing a "4th Qtr" drill...(Smile).  Like Rush has always said....once you lose focus...it's hard as Tift to get it back.

3.  Colquitt ain't nothing but a bunch of poor, tiny, little undersized Hawgs.

Rufus>>

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Nice matchups! Really interested in how Marietta does at Rome. Also, Colquitt Co./McEachern. 

The Corky Kell usually has pretty good match-ups. A lot of people fuss about it seemingly always being mostly the same teams, but, the reality is, those are usually many of the top teams in the state and great match-ups. 

I too am interested in Marietta. I really am a big question mark on them. They have a lot of talent, and are getting the hype, but are largely unproven imo. They could be the best team in the state or a huge bust. 

I would prefer to see Rome versus McEachern or Colquitt and Marietta versus McEachern or Colquitt. We've seen Colquitt versus McEachern before. 

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

The Corky Kell usually has pretty good match-ups. A lot of people fuss about it seemingly always being mostly the same teams, but, the reality is, those are usually many of the top teams in the state and great match-ups. 

I too am interested in Marietta. I really am a big question mark on them. They have a lot of talent, and are getting the hype, but are largely unproven imo. They could be the best team in the state or a huge bust. 

I would prefer to see Rome versus McEachern or Colquitt and Marietta versus McEachern or Colquitt. We've seen Colquitt versus McEachern before. 

So you were there in 1996?

It was a LATE game.

Rufus>>

7 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

So you were there in 1996?

It was a LATE game.

Rufus>>

No I didn't make it to that one. I kind of meant in general. Colquitt has played McEachern recently. 

I'd personally love to see Colquitt versus Rome. I trust Rush to shut up that lil 5A squad more than I do a 7A flash in the pan flavor of the day metro school. 

That all may be just my inner Rab coming out though. xD

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

No I didn't make it to that one. I kind of meant in general. Colquitt has played McEachern recently. 

I'd personally love to see Colquitt versus Rome. I trust Rush to shut up that lil 5A squad more than I do a 7A flash in the pan flavor of the day metro school. 

Little Johnny Reid don't want none of Rush and his tiny, undersized and inexperienced hogs.

If they named that matchup, Johnny Boy would complain until he was matched up against some recruited up, unproven, flash in the pan metro school.

Little Johnny Reid has NEVER beat the little pigs from Moultrie.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Colquitt would be the only team last year to beat Rome imo. This year? The shut up you’re looking for won’t be as satisfying. Entire D-line is gone and a 5* dB also off last years team. 

North Gwinnett 4th best team behind  Colquitt, Rome,  Lowdnes.... I think Buford would give North a competitive battle, toss up would win imo. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Little Johnny Reid don't want none of Rush and his tiny, undersized and inexperienced hogs.

If they named that matchup, Johnny Boy would complain until he was matched up against some recruited up, unproven, flash in the pan metro school.

Little Johnny Reid has NEVER beat the little pigs from Moultrie.

Rab jr right there folks....

Bahaha

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Colquitt would be the only team last year to beat Rome imo. This year? The shut up you’re looking for won’t be as satisfying. Entire D-line is gone and a 5* dB also off last years team. 

North Gwinnett 4th best team behind  Colquitt, Rome,  Lowdnes.... I think Buford would give North a competitive battle, toss up would win imo. 

Not trying to stray too far off topic, and I know it's early on, but, who do you got in the Marietta/Rome match-up then? Just for curiosity's sake. 

6 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Im sure Mceachern is tired of Colquitt... 

That 1-5 all time record vs Colquitt aint exactly getting any better... 

Colquitt is STILL pissed off about that "1".  They wore our derrieres out in the Semis in 1998.  It was the first time we'd seen the Wing T....and them Injuns....RAN IT TO HELL AND BACK.

Rufus>>