Annual steady as she goes list w Calpreps 4 yr dynasty data

golfaddict1

Dynasty period 2014 thru 2017 (4 years), to be included, MUST 

-  Be rated top 500 nationally by Calpreps (CP)

-  Played minimum one OOS opponent the last 4 years 

-  Winning record vs. top 1000 rated opponents

-  No losses to opponents rated 1001 or higher

-  Schedule strength rating minimum 40  (I used 30 initially and got 74 schools, so I felt that was too many and a nice even 50 schools made the 40.0 min. schedule strength, so I rolled with that).  

24 schools who met the other 4 criteria  but was in the 30-39.9 schedule strength range (in order of national rating by CP)

Trinity (KY), Christian Bros (MO), Aledo, Archbishop Wood, Armwood, Mallard Creek, Central Catholic, Oakland (TN), Eden Prarie, South Pointe, Mainland, Muskegon, Highland Park (TX), Cocoa, Venice, Lincoln-Way East, Columbus, South Panola, Oaks Christian, Longview, Plant, Mountain View (ID), West Monroe and Sky View (UT).  

The 50 schools who made the list (in order of national rating by CP for this 4 year dynasty period)

Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, IMG, Bishop Gorman, DLS, Corona Centennial, Allen, Bingham, St. Edward, Chandler, Mission Viejo, STA, Wayne, Colerain, Colquitt County, St. Xavier (OH), DeMatha, AHP, St. Louis (HI), Bergen Catholic, Miami Central, Loyola Academy, Grayson, St. Joe's Prep, St. Joe's Regional, Union, Brentwood Academy, Hoover, Fayetteville, DeSoto, Helix, SLC, St. Ignatius,, St. Peter's Prep, Jenks, Bentonville, Warren Central, Starkville, Westlake (TX). East, Paramus Catholic, Punahou, Junipero Serra, Carmel (IN), Pickerington Central, Chaminade (CA), Good Counsel, McDonogh, Gonzaga and Olentangy Liberty (OH) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

-  Schedule strength rating minimum 40  (I used 30 initially and got 74 schools, so I felt that was too many and a nice even 50 schools made the 40.0 min. schedule strength, so I rolled with that).  

24 schools who met the other 4 criteria  but was in the 30-39.9 schedule strength range (in order of national rating by CP)

Trinity (KY), Christian Bros (MO), Aledo, Archbishop Wood, Armwood, Mallard Creek, Central Catholic, Oakland (TN), Eden Prarie, South Pointe, Mainland, Muskegon, Highland Park (TX), Cocoa, Venice, Lincoln-Way East, Columbus, South Panola, Oaks Christian, Longview, Plant, Mountain View (ID), West Monroe and Sky View (UT).  

The 50 schools who made the list (in order of national rating by CP for this 4 year dynasty period)

Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, IMG, Bishop Gorman, DLS, Corona Centennial, Allen, Bingham, St. Edward, Chandler, Mission Viejo, STA, Wayne, Colerain, Colquitt County, St. Xavier (OH), DeMatha, AHP, St. Louis (HI), Bergen Catholic, Miami Central, Loyola Academy, Grayson, St. Joe's Prep, St. Joe's Regional, Union, Brentwood Academy, Hoover, Fayetteville, DeSoto, Helix, SLC, St. Ignatius,, St. Peter's Prep, Jenks, Bentonville, Warren Central, Starkville, Westlake (TX). East, Paramus Catholic, Punahou, Junipero Serra, Carmel (IN), Pickerington Central, Chaminade (CA), Good Counsel, McDonogh, Gonzaga and Olentangy Liberty (OH) 

Fake News

Rufus>>

45 minutes ago, Fred said:

No wait, there has to be a mistake in this.  I don't see Folsom listed anywhere.

Folsom would be (I think — they’ve had 2 top 10 finishes at Cp) were it not for an unfortunate loss to #1963 Sacramento HS in 2016

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Why the OOS qualifier?

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

This is a bad qualifier for the reason you just stated.  I thought the qualifier was no losses to teams ranked over 1000.

That was one of them.  Must have over .500 record vs top 1000 was another.  I’ve been doing this for 3-4 years now.   Only change is the schedule strength boost to 40.0 min.   

Of course there are weak points.  If we did winning record vs top 500 for example my guess is there would less schools for sure qualifying.   

Getting to 50 or certainly less than 74 was my goal without changing the rules from previous years.   It’s a 4 year cover sheet showing imo steadiness overall.   Obviously more than 50-74 schools play steady national quality ball and many schools who don’t play OOS opponents who have met all other criteria would look good on a state list.  

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Should be minimum of one OOS game annually!! 

Says the guy from NJ

all your PA, OH, Md/ DC etc games would still be in-state in TX or CA

im ok if TX and CA can call it OOS if they cross imaginary lines the size of normal states 

“OOS” is irrelevant when Ga gets credit for ISB and CA doesn’t get “credit for intersectional games among elite national teams when sections are multiples of NJ on average

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

That was one of them.  Must have over .500 record vs top 1000 was another.  I’ve been doing this for 3-4 years now.   Only change is the schedule strength boost to 40.0 min.   

Of course there are weak points.  If we did winning record vs top 500 for example my guess is there would less schools for sure qualifying.   

Getting to 50 or certainly less than 74 was my goal without changing the rules from previous years.   It’s a 4 year cover sheet showing imo steadiness overall.   Obviously more than 50-74 schools play steady national quality ball and many schools who don’t play OOS opponents who have met all other criteria would look good on a state list.  

This qualifier unfairly penalizes teams that play mostly Top 250 teams vs Top 500-1000 teams.  There has to be a better way to make this more equitable.   Perhaps using a point value of Schedule strength x Winning % vs Top 1000 %.  Losses vs Top 10 national should be thrown out and not counted because very few teams play Top 10 national teams.

2 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

This qualifier unfairly penalizes teams that play mostly Top 250 teams vs Top 500-1000 teams.  There has to be a better way to make this more equitable.   Perhaps using a point value of Schedule strength x Winning % vs Top 1000 %.  Losses vs Top 10 national should be thrown out and not counted because very few teams play Top 10 national teams.

Given time sure... If CP showed a W-L record for top 100 or 250, even better.   I was using their info to make the list a quicker exercise with flaws.   Absolutely, given time we can peel the onion a bit more from even the 74 list or just the 50.  I can go back and give a list of the qualifiers who didn't have an OOS game and would have made the list if interested...  to add also and then fine tune the qualifiers further.      From this smaller list will be easier to manually look at results for 4 years on CP with ratings and then creating a W-L record as well (for defined top 100/250/500) on excel sheet could be done for example.    It would take time and I gladly hand the baton someone else lol.  

2 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Given time sure... If CP showed a W-L record for top 100 or 250, even better.   I was using their info to make the list a quicker exercise with flaws.   Absolutely, given time we can peel the onion a bit more from even the 74 list or just the 50.  I can go back and give a list of the qualifiers who didn't have an OOS game and would have made the list if interested...  to add also and then fine tune the qualifiers further.      From this smaller list will be easier to manually look at results for 4 years on CP with ratings and then creating a W-L record as well (for defined top 100/250/500) on excel sheet could be done for example.    It would take time and I gladly hand the baton someone else lol.  

like the current formula, great stuff but can we add "does your school have 3 stripes on your helmet?" as a criteria? thanks!