Early Contenders: Top 10 high school football games of the 2018 season

Eddyr2

Top 10 high school football games of the 2018 season  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What game are you looking forward to the most next year?

• Narbonne (Harbor City, Calif.) @ St. Louis (Honolulu)
    • Chandler (Ariz.) @ Centennial (Corona, Calif.)
    • Grayson (Loganville, Ga.) @ Marietta (Ga.)
    • Folsom (Calif.) @ De La Salle (Concord, Calif.)
    • Central (Miami) @ St. John's (Washington, D.C.)
    • Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.) @ Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas)
    • Central (Miami) @ St. Thomas Aquinas (Fort Lauderdale, Fla.)
    • IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) @ St. John's (Washington, D.C.)
    • St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.) @ Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)
    • IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.) @ Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)

4 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

Then, apparently, they are intimidated by Cousin Rush! 

Hey, rumor has it, that about a month ago, Colquitt held a 5:00am practice at the new IPF! And there were SEVENTY FIVE college coaches in attendance!😉

I heard 85 college coaches, but, the guy that said it also said, "But, who's counting?" 

xD

18 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Geez colquitt County community college has more coaches then university of Georgia 

Who would have thought that 😂 

I think these were all coaches from outside of Colquitt County that were there to appreciate the wonderful new facilities and to get a bird's eye look at the talented young men that were there to practice. 

While you joke, the actual Colquitt County varsity assistants and training staff  do in fact call it "University of  Colquitt" because of the way Coach Propst runs it. 

Just now, HawgGoneIt said:

I think these were all coaches from outside of Colquitt County that were there to appreciate the wonderful new facilities and to get a bird's eye look at the talented young men that were there to practice. 

While you joke, the actual Colquitt County varsity assistants and training staff  do in fact call it "University of  Colquitt" because of the way Coach Propst runs it. 

What college scout is gonna to show up for a 5 am practice? 

7 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

What college scout is gonna to show up for a 5 am practice? 

Not scout. Actual coaches. 

Of course, I can't confirm the "5 a.m. rumor". I do know that as many as 85 coaches from colleges around the country walked through and visited practices on the weekend of our christening of the new facility. Guys like Nick Saban had some sneak peeks at the facility before it was officially in use yet as well. Some of the excitement was about the new facilities, but, a lot was about the talent present as well. 

14 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Obviously not that many folks. I think everyone is concentrating on Folsom's list this year. 

xD

I don't buy it

Rufus is trying to use reverse psychology to downplay colquitt so that whenever they win it looks like they had to win with divine intervention or something 

Colquitt county runs themselves similar to how a lot of north Florida programs did when they were successful 

Build them up from pop Warner and then middle school all the time running the high school system so by time they reach high school it's second nature to them

Reason it's successful is because so many schools have went away from that approach 

12 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

I don't buy it

Rufus is trying to use reverse psychology to downplay colquitt so that whenever they win it looks like they had to win with divine intervention or something 

Colquitt county runs themselves similar to how a lot of north Florida programs did when they were successful 

Build them up from pop Warner and then middle school all the time running the high school system so by time they reach high school it's second nature to them

Reason it's successful is because so many schools have went away from that approach 

It takes a huge and coordinated effort to do what Colquitt does. It's A LOT of work to coordinate a program, so, teams these days go the sucker route and transfer players rather than develop. 

This is why not man still do it. It's a case of the lack of support/lazy ass syndrome. 

It can't as easily work in some places where there are so many schools as well. 

I will always think the "program" model is better than the private school transfer and fill gap model, simply because the players have been working with the same offense/defense schemes for longer. 

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It takes a huge and coordinated effort to do what Colquitt does. It's A LOT of work to coordinate a program, so, teams these days go the sucker route and transfer players rather than develop. 

This is why not man still do it. It's a case of the lack of support/lazy ass syndrome. 

I will always think the "program" model is better than the private school transfer and fill gap model, simply because the players have been working with the same offense/defense schemes for longer. 

Lake City may have just made smartest decision they have in a while to combine the 2 middle schools

Now players get 2 more years of playing together under the same system they will play under at high school level and i think I'm already seeing the positive effects as this will be first freshman group under the combined middle schools so we are starting to take the growth from within approach 

Even though they get some transfers (mostly from Suwannee and Hamilton County) the core is home grown talent 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You make it sound like that what metro programs do. 

Horseshit blanket statement, Hawgie. 

We don’t do it that way, these kids load up on their own and if it’s bona fide, Schools can’t stop them especially county metro Schools, their afraid of lawsuits anyways. 

You're sorta kinda isolated, so I can see how you would think that. Hell you’re cousin Rab accuses Rome of doing it, it’s ludicrous dude. 

Its going “not go away”, kids want to be a part of a meaningful high school experience, we moved for that reason also. 

Take off your Rab/CC Blackhatter blinders bro. 

Regards,

BGW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

You make it sound like that what metro programs do. 

Horseshit blanket statement, Hawgie. 

We don’t do it that way, these kids load up on their own and if it’s bona fide, Schools can’t stop them especially county metro Schools, their afraid of lawsuits anyways. 

You're sorta kinda isolated, so I can see how you would think that. Hell you’re cousin Rab accuses Rome of doing it, it’s ludicrous dude. 

Its going “not go away”, kids want to be a part of a meaningful high school experience, we moved for that reason also. 

Take off your Rab/CC Blackhatter blinders bro. 

Regards,

BGW

I'm just saying, our way is better. 

The private model is by design transfer/stop gap. 

I wasn't really picking at the metro schools, although they come closer to the private school model than the program model. That is what it is. 

You say tomato, I say tomahto. 

My team that was playing together in 6th grade will beat the team that stop-gapped, most years.  

I'm not hating. Just calling it like I see it. :P

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 11:57 AM, FolsomPrisonBlues said:

We say "wow look at that PRACTICE facility over there!" 

"Wow it's hot here!"

you have no idea what you talking about..... its the humidity coupled with the heat compadre. Not to mention the frequent lightning that occurs in N Florida and South Georgia in the summer months. I think even @Columbiafan will attest to this 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

you have no idea what you talking about..... its the humidity coupled with the heat compadre. Not to mention the frequent lightning that occurs in N Florida and South Georgia in the summer months. I think even @Columbiafan will attest to this 

Yup

I remember with Columbia that there were lightning or excessive rain we would get sent off the field and the coaches either keep them doing film for the remainder of practice time or they will move them into the activity room in the auditorium building and do a indoor walk-through 

I'm sure if they had the money they would get a indoor practice facility 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Not scout. Actual coaches. 

Of course, I can't confirm the "5 a.m. rumor". I do know that as many as 85 coaches from colleges around the country walked through and visited practices on the weekend of our christening of the new facility. Guys like Nick Saban had some sneak peeks at the facility before it was officially in use yet as well. Some of the excitement was about the new facilities, but, a lot was about the talent present as well. 

I can attest to it because i was dropping of my 15yr old at 4:45 AM lol

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm just saying, our way is better. 

The private model is by design transfer/stop gap. 

I wasn't really picking at the metro schools, although they come closer to the private school model than the program model. That is what it is. 

You say tomato, I say tomahto. 

My team that was playing together in 6th grade will beat the team that stop-gapped, most years.  

I'm not hating. Just calling it like I see it. :P

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about grassroots programs but unfortunately if you’re successful and got a nice consistent program with consistent staff coupling with great academics, it’s easy to pick up and move. 

I love the Rome/Calhoun/Colquitt situations but it wasn’t meant to be for us. 

But the “old transfer” talk is old and redundant, the argument applies to programs that are “isolated” in a sense to “competing schools”. 

If Georgia stops funding public’s as well as they have, privates will burgeon and we’ll end up like Jersey and Cali, it’s a fact. 

Parents want the best for their kids. Period. 

Regards, 

BGW

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

Yup

I remember with Columbia that there were lightning or excessive rain we would get sent off the field and the coaches either keep them doing film for the remainder of practice time or they will move them into the activity room in the auditorium building and do a indoor walk-through 

I'm sure if they had the money they would get a indoor practice facility 

I didn’t know this until I saw the twitter feed but the big arena that opened 2 seasons ago is big enough to hold football practice... take out bleachers behind goals, remove goals and push back floor seats. 

And viola, but no end goals.... maybe that’s why it’s been quiet on the indoor practice facility. 

Regards,

BGW

25 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

Wow!

Now that sounds like an optimal place for me. Sign me up!!!!!

15 minutes ago, 94Packer said:

I can attest to it because i was dropping of my 15yr old at 4:45 AM lol

I figured that at least one of the parents would be able to verify. 

Coach says, if the kids get up, show up at that early time in the morning, then it culls the one's that don't really want to play. Those that show up and practice at that time of the a.m. as a teen prove they want to. 

2 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I figured that at least one of the parents would be able to verify. 

Coach says, if the kids get up, show up at that early time in the morning, then it culls the one's that don't really want to play. Those that show up and practice at that time of the a.m. as a teen prove they want to. 

That’s hard, for a teenager to get up that early. My kid did it, but the ones that want to play... do it. 

Regards

BGW

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about grassroots programs but unfortunately if you’re successful and got a nice consistent program with consistent staff coupling with great academics, it’s easy to pick up and move. 

I love the Rome/Calhoun/Colquitt situations but it wasn’t meant to be for us. 

But the “old transfer” talk is old and redundant, the argument applies to programs that are “isolated” in a sense to “competing schools”. 

If Georgia stops funding public’s as well as they have, privates will burgeon and we’ll end up like Jersey and Cali, it’s a fact. 

Parents want the best for their kids. Period. 

Regards, 

BGW

No doubt. Like I said, I'm not a hater like Rab. 

I understand why it's the way it is. I know that it takes a lot more work and man power to create and sustain the level of play that Colquitt has been at for a decade. 

Not every school in isolated areas are willing to organize the posse and kick out the funds it takes to do what we do here. 

Some areas, like the metro, are so transient that they really couldn't do what we do if they wanted to. They get the easier path to filling their roster with talent. It's not their fault that they are located in a metro area. 

I'm down with good football period. It's that much sweeter to me when we are able to win versus the metro schools though, because of understanding how much more went into Colquitt's success.

• Like 1