What up Texas?

DevilDog

3 hours ago, DevilDog said:

We more than any other State seem to have more of these actions.  Last week I went into the Quiktrip here and a Guy bumped into me by accident and on his side was an opened holstered firearm.  He did say excuse me and was cordial.  But damn.    There was a McKinney Police officer inside and didn't ask him a word about the sidearm.  I came out told my Girl. She said I could have been in Dress Blues with a MAGA hat and he would have stopped and questioned me.  🤣

Leos can't hassle you just for open carry in Texas unless they think a crime has been committed. The exceptions are if you are operating a motor vehicle or in a business that has the proper signage that states you can't open carry. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cracker said:

Leos can't hassle you just for open carry in Texas unless they think a crime has been committed. The exception is if you are operating a motor vehicle. 

Still unsettling to be in a Gas Station and have a dude walking around with a weapon on his side.  And I'm pro gun ownership.   

12 minutes ago, WulfTangClan said:

That game could have been fairly lopsided in favor of Longview.

Great weekend of football for me, watching LV-Luf yesterday. Then watching Cy-Fair pull it out vs The Woodlands just now.

Craziest Week 1 in some time. Hopefully people remember it too when they try to argue teams over other teams based on the ABC theory. 

And a 4A DII power Lubbock Estacado beat a 5A DI power.  Lubbock Coronado 3 classes larger and ranked 15th in their class. Same class as Lufkin.  Carthage will smoke Marshall in 2 weeks.  WOS beat 5A power Nederland.  4A beat up 5A pretty good.  La Vega, Liberty Hill did as well.  And 5A powers gave 6A powers hell.  Lufkin, SOC, Aledo, Reedy, HP etc.  

2 hours ago, Wosinc said:

Dying to find out who’s to blame in this one: parents, fans, refs, or those guys fucking with their equipment?

Our Coach blew this game. He was trying to impress the fans with sideline antics. I put this on the fans for not shutting their fucking faces when we were trying to make calls. I was yelling telling them to run the left counter but the fans wouldn’t shut the fuck up. I also blame the traffic in the area for this, our kids were on the buses too long and were already tired before the game. The whole event was a total fucking shit show, I don’t think the coach gives a damn. 

• Haha 3

https://www.dallasnews.com/high-school-sports/football/2019/08/31/with-41-28-win-vs-cedar-hill-allen-passes-its-first-test-in-quest-to-prove-everybody-wrong/

With 41-28 win vs. Cedar Hill, Allen passes its first test in quest to ‘prove everybody wrong’

Out to silence its doubters, Allen sends a message in a Week 1 battle of highly-ranked 6A foes.

Allen running back Justin Hall (32) celebrates a touchdown with team mates during the fourth quarter of a high school football game between Allen and Cedar Hill on Friday, August 30, 2019 at Eagle Stadium in Allen. (Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)
Allen running back Justin Hall (32) celebrates a touchdown with team mates during the fourth quarter of a high school football game between Allen and Cedar Hill on Friday, August 30, 2019 at Eagle Stadium in Allen. (Ashley Landis/The Dallas Morning News)(Ashley Landis / Staff Photographer)

By Callie Caplan

11:28 PM on Aug 30, 2019

ALLEN -- Players said they heard the debate:

The questions about whether Allen in 2019 could continue to be the near-state-champion guarantee that most Eagles teams this decade have been.

The argument that with just six returning starters and with a tough state semifinal loss to Duncanville as its last outing, Allen would take a step back this season.

But the Eagles didn’t pay any mind.

Instead, they beat Cedar Hill, 41-28, on Friday night in the season opener and exited Eagle Stadium the same as every Allen team to play in the monstrous building: as winners, confident they proved their standing as one of Texas’ best teams.

“Let all the people keep doubting you,” coach Terry Gambill said, his voice bellowing throughout the program’s indoor facility during a postgame team huddle. “You just keep focused.”

The final score didn’t represent a blowout like the Eagles are often accustomed to securing in the regular season.

After all, Cedar Hill, No. 6 in the SportsDayHS area preseason Class 6A rankings and the 2018 District 7-6A champion, represented a tougher foe than most.

But the manner No. 5 Allen built its non-district victory was methodical and disciplined -- just as the program’s tradition under Gambill dictates.

On the Eagles’ first offense play, quarterback Raylen Sharpe sprinted 80 yards to the end zone, juking several defenders and sparking memories of Kyler Murray’s swift athleticism.

The senior SMU commit, who earned the nickname “Little Kyler” after he entered Allen’s pipeline in middle school, said he was nervous before the game. When Sharpe walked onto the field, saw the crowd almost filled the 18,000-seat stadium and remembered he’d receive the team’s opening offensive snap for the first time in his career, he had one thought:

“Woah.”

But Allen trains its players to thrive under pressure, so Sharpe took a deep breath and rushed for touchdowns on each of Allen’s first two possessions. Sharpe completed 23 of 30 passes for 319 yards and two touchdowns to two interceptions, while rushing 11 times for 103 yards.

“He’s the truth,” Cedar Hill coach Carlos Lynn said. “Under his leadership, they’re going to be just fine.”

The same proved true for Allen’s defense, which returned just one 2018 starter but pressured Cedar Hill’s offensive line throughout the night and forced an interception via Zayteak McGhee. The production helped seal a second season-opening win over the Longhorns in three years.

The unit denied Cedar Hill three times on fourth down, including once on 4th-and-goal from the 8-yard line, when a Cedar Hill touchdown plus a two-point conversion would’ve tied the game at 21 late in the second quarter. Rarely did Cedar Hill find opportunities to spin out of tackles and gain yards after contact.

The preparedness and control meant Allen added to a list of prestigious statistics -- ones other preseason state-championship contenders can’t attest.

Allen has won 102 of its last 105 games, hasn’t lost in the regular season since September 2012 -- a 65-game stretch -- and is now 44-0 in Eagle Stadium.

“Prove everybody wrong,” McGhee said. “Prove all the doubters wrong.” 

7 hours ago, DevilDog said:

We more than any other State seem to have more of these actions.  Last week I went into the Quiktrip here and a Guy bumped into me by accident and on his side was an opened holstered firearm.  He did say excuse me and was cordial.  But damn.    There was a McKinney Police officer inside and didn't ask him a word about the sidearm.  I came out told my Girl. She said I could have been in Dress Blues with a MAGA hat and he would have stopped and questioned me.  🤣

A black guy in a MAGA hat? Yeah, you're definitely getting questioned. 😆😆

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Big hairy bald Jones said:

Our Coach blew this game. He was trying to impress the fans with sideline antics. I put this on the fans for not shutting their fucking faces when we were trying to make calls. I was yelling telling them to run the left counter but the fans wouldn’t shut the fuck up. I also blame the traffic in the area for this, our kids were on the buses too long and were already tired before the game. The whole event was a total fucking shit show, I don’t think the coach gives a damn. 

Now the Texas HS Season is officially underway.  🤣 I never heard of a fan putting blame on the fans for the loss.  Classic Sir.  Glad you are back.  We need more commentary on this game. 

• Haha 1

Respective State's rankings prior to the game. 

6AI #3 Jenks (Okla.) at 5ADI #37 Mansfield Legacy

6AI #4 Tulsa (Okla.) Union at 6A #99 Mansfield Lake Ridge, 

6AII #1 Bixby (Okla.) at  5ADI #10 Mansfield Timberview, 

6A-I #2 Broken Arrow (Okla.) at 6A #42 Mansfield, 

6A-II # 12 Sand Springs (Okla.) at 6A #94 Mansfield Summit,

THIS YEAR'S RESULTS  2 - 3 
Broken Arrow (Okla.) 42, Mansfield 13
Mansfield Lake Ridge 47, Tulsa (Okla.) Union 44 
Jenks (Okla.) 38, Mansfield Legacy 0
Bixby (Okla.) 77, Mansfield Timberview 47
Mansfield Summit 41, Sand Springs (Okla.) 7

LAST YEAR'S RESULTS  1 - 4 
Broken Arrow (Okla.) 28, Mansfield 6
Tulsa (Okla.) Union 36, Mansfield Lake Ridge 30
Jenks (Okla.) 35, Mansfield Legacy 14
Bixby (Okla.) 36, Mansfield Timberview 33
Mansfield Summit 41, Sand Springs (Okla.) 28

Highland Park, Rockwall combine for 1,488 yards, 125 points in instant Texas Classic

Highland Park quarterback Chandler Morris amasses 654 yards, nine touchdowns on his own to lead Scots to remarkable 66-59 opening-week win.

Highland Park (Dallas) opened its defense of three straight 5A-D1 state championships and a No. 9 preseason MaxPreps Texas rankings by piling up 66 points and 761 yards on Friday night. 

Impressive, right? Dominating to be sure. 

Remarkably, the Scots only won by a touchdown

In a truly stunning opener at 12th-ranked Rockwall, senior quarterback Chandler Morris accounted for 654 yards and nine touchdowns and Highland Park needed every one of them in a crazy 66-59 victory at Wilkerson-Sanders Memorial Stadium. 

According to the Dallas Morning News, Morris completed 27-of-43 passes for 474 yards and five scores, and rushed for 180 yards and four touchdowns as the Scots fought back from a 31-14 deficit to win a wild back-and-forth game. 

Rockwall sophomore quarterback Braedyn Locke, making his varsity debut, completed 30-of-48 passes for 528 yards and five scores, and Zach Henry rushed for 151 yards and three scores as the Yellowjackets amassed 727 yards of their own. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, one of the nation's top-rated receivers, showed why with 12 catches for 269 yards and three touchdowns. 

Morris spread the ball around a little more as Case Savage (six catches, 143 yards, two touchdowns), Ben Smith(9 grabs, 135 yards, one score) and Hunter Heath (two TD catches) led the receiving core for Highland Park. 

The game features a staggering 1,488 yards of total offense. 

A 24-0 flurry by Highland Park seemed to deliver the knockout punch  as the Scots took a 38-31 lead early in the third. But from there, the teams traded one touchdown after another — six in fact — the last a Morris 16-yard run to go up 59-51 with 5:15 to go to take a 59-52 lead. 

After a quick turnover — Texas bound defensive end Prince Dorbah picked off a pass — Morris gave the Scots a two-touchdown cushion 66-52 with a 5-yard TD run with 4:46 remaining. 

That would have seemed to be the dagger, but Smith-Njigba responded immediately with a 75-yard touchdown catch from Locke to cut it to 66-59 with 4:02 left. 

Remarkably, the defenses took over from there, and the teams went scoreless the rest of the way. 

"Rockwall's got a great football team and they're better than I thought they'd be," Scots' coach Randy Allen told the DMN. "(But) it's heart. Our players have won so much that they just believe they're always going to get back in the game."

The Highland Park-Rockwall instant classic wasn't the only barn burner on opening night in Texas on Friday. 

Guyer (Denton) ranked 14th in the state, went on the road to beat No. 6 Aledo, 60-57, No. 8 Longview won at Lufkin, 24-21 and third-ranked Allen had a tough tussle with No. 25 Cedar Hill, 41-28. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Big hairy bald Jones said:

You know, I was so focused on the fans and the refs that I totally forgot about the coach.  Is he new?

Whose fans were making all the noise, Midway’s or Trinity’s?  If it was Trinity there’s not much you can do about it, but Midway fans should know better. 

It was a pretty close game in spite of everything.  I think Midway will be ok from here on out.

Just a thought, but next time you have coffee with the coach perhaps you could suggest that the team leave earlier for away games.  It’s not fair for the kids to have to spend too much time on the busses.