A little Georgia love or what?

FootballGuy

Interesting take from the John's Creek head coach:

You coached for years in Florida and saw some of the best teams there. You've played and coached in other states. How does Georgia football compare to that in Florida and other states? "The overall football in Georgia is better than any place I've ever been or coached. And it's not even close. There's so many good coaches and staffs in Georgia. Plus, the time, effort and resources that Georgia schools, administrations and communities put into their football programs is extraordinary. The QB play in Georgia sets itself apart from many states. There's so many good QBs around the state. Growing up in Indiana, basketball was king. But football talent and coaching up there has improved drastically the last 20 or so years. I'd put some of those Indy teams like Warren Central and Ben Davis up against anyone in the country. As far as Florida goes, the speed is just ridiculous. You could have a kid do everything possibly wrong and still make a play because they're so fast. With their transfer rules now in effect down there, the schools are creating super teams all over the place. Kids can go anywhere they want. So you lose what little sense of community and school pride they had before. Makes it tough to build anything long term." 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Matt Helmerich, Johns Creek head coach 

1. Johns Creek was 3-7 in your first season and is now a region champion. What's different this year? "When I first got here, we knew replacing 34 seniors and eight transfers would be difficult. We had so many young players that were forced into action. So we went from having just three starters back for the '17 season to only losing three starters for the '18 season. The reps and playing time those young guys got last season are paying dividends. Also, having the kids a full year in our weight program and putting in the offseason time with our staff has made a world of difference. We had the entire winter and spring to install new schemes on both sides of the ball. I've got to compliment my staff as well as we were able to piece together some units in areas we struggled in 2017. Having gotten the idea from Coach [Adam] Clack over at Milton, we split our spring practices into two sessions. Everyone practiced two different positions. So we were able to find some guys that were better at different spots. We have a starting sophomore safety that was a JV wide receiver last year. We have a starting sophomore tackle that was a backup JV DE last year. We've got a backup NG that is now starting at OG. So finding those guys was huge for us. It also helps that we return Zach Gibson, a four-year starting QB who can make any throw, as well as both offensive and defensive lines." 

2. You scheduled Washington, D.C., national power St. John's this year that you probably realized was too strong for you at this point. Does it have to do with a long-term outlook on the program? "We knew we probably bit off more than we can chew with that game. I've been a part of some good STA teams [Aquinas in Florida] and coached against a good Camden County team, a loaded Prattville [Ala.] team, as well as De La Salle out in California. Never have I seen a bigger, faster and stronger team than St. John's. It was a great experience for our guys to go against the best of the best. I know the score doesn't show it, but our guys went out there and held their own in the trenches as well as had some guys that matched some of their speed on the outside. That gave us confidence heading into region play. Plus the trip was great for our program. Going to places like the Holocaust Museum and our kids participating in the wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are things that these kids won't ever forget. We plan on scheduling a top-notch program every year, as long as we come out healthy!" [St. John's, which beat Johns Creek 49-0, is 8-0 and ranked No. 3 nationally in the MaxPreps' Xcellent 25.] 

3. You coached for years in Florida and saw some of the best teams there. You've played and coached in other states. How does Georgia football compare to that in Florida and other states? "The overall football in Georgia is better than any place I've ever been or coached. And it's not even close. There's so many good coaches and staffs in Georgia. Plus, the time, effort and resources that Georgia schools, administrations and communities put into their football programs is extraordinary. The QB play in Georgia sets itself apart from many states. There's so many good QBs around the state. Growing up in Indiana, basketball was king. But football talent and coaching up there has improved drastically the last 20 or so years. I'd put some of those Indy teams like Warren Central and Ben Davis up against anyone in the country. As far as Florida goes, the speed is just ridiculous. You could have a kid do everything possibly wrong and still make a play because they're so fast. With their transfer rules now in effect down there, the schools are creating super teams all over the place. Kids can go anywhere they want. So you lose what little sense of community and school pride they had before. Makes it tough to build anything long term." 

4. Class AAAAAA has been volatile this season. Teams with four and five losses are in the top 10 on region reputation, and some region champions have not been ranked until this week. How do you see it playing out? "Other than the fact that Lee County has been dominating this year, 6A seems wide open. But after that, it seems there are 12-15 teams that could make a run to at least a final four spot. I haven't seen enough of South Georgia football to comment. But it seems Region 1 is stacked and had two teams in the finals last year, although I'd be lying if I said my kids weren't disappointed to see four- and five-loss teams ahead of them in the rankings. We tell them there's only one poll that really matters that occurs in December. I do see our region as underrated. There are some excellent coaches and talent in our region. Alpharetta gave Coffee a run for their money in the third round last year, and Centennial was one play away from beating a very good Mays team in round two. There's some good football in North Fulton, and I'm hoping we can prove that in this year's playoffs." 

• Thanks 2

The nail was hit on the head in acknowledging the culture, including the coaching and community support. It has been a semi generational thing relative to the various regions around the country how the game... relative to its importance over other aspects of the communities has changed. Every region, beginning with the East / North East area has had their moment in the sun relative to how hs football ranked relative to other forms of entertainment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gospeeder said:

The nail was hit on the head in acknowledging the culture, including the coaching and community support. It has been a semi generational thing relative to the various regions around the country how the game... relative to its importance over other aspects of the communities has changed. Every region, beginning with the East / North East area has had their moment in the sun relative to how hs football ranked relative to other forms of entertainment.

Interesting take. 

Outside of football, what other sports or activities create an atmosphere that brings many different demographics together as one in a community? What arose that created the apparent fall off in other areas as far as entertainment/community support goes? In your opinion of course.

1 hour ago, FootballGuy said:

Matt Helmerich, Johns Creek head coach 

1. Johns Creek was 3-7 in your first season and is now a region champion. What's different this year? "When I first got here, we knew replacing 34 seniors and eight transfers would be difficult. We had so many young players that were forced into action. So we went from having just three starters back for the '17 season to only losing three starters for the '18 season. The reps and playing time those young guys got last season are paying dividends. Also, having the kids a full year in our weight program and putting in the offseason time with our staff has made a world of difference. We had the entire winter and spring to install new schemes on both sides of the ball. I've got to compliment my staff as well as we were able to piece together some units in areas we struggled in 2017. Having gotten the idea from Coach [Adam] Clack over at Milton, we split our spring practices into two sessions. Everyone practiced two different positions. So we were able to find some guys that were better at different spots. We have a starting sophomore safety that was a JV wide receiver last year. We have a starting sophomore tackle that was a backup JV DE last year. We've got a backup NG that is now starting at OG. So finding those guys was huge for us. It also helps that we return Zach Gibson, a four-year starting QB who can make any throw, as well as both offensive and defensive lines." 

2. You scheduled Washington, D.C., national power St. John's this year that you probably realized was too strong for you at this point. Does it have to do with a long-term outlook on the program? "We knew we probably bit off more than we can chew with that game. I've been a part of some good STA teams [Aquinas in Florida] and coached against a good Camden County team, a loaded Prattville [Ala.] team, as well as De La Salle out in California. Never have I seen a bigger, faster and stronger team than St. John's. It was a great experience for our guys to go against the best of the best. I know the score doesn't show it, but our guys went out there and held their own in the trenches as well as had some guys that matched some of their speed on the outside. That gave us confidence heading into region play. Plus the trip was great for our program. Going to places like the Holocaust Museum and our kids participating in the wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier are things that these kids won't ever forget. We plan on scheduling a top-notch program every year, as long as we come out healthy!" [St. John's, which beat Johns Creek 49-0, is 8-0 and ranked No. 3 nationally in the MaxPreps' Xcellent 25.] 

3. You coached for years in Florida and saw some of the best teams there. You've played and coached in other states. How does Georgia football compare to that in Florida and other states? "The overall football in Georgia is better than any place I've ever been or coached. And it's not even close. There's so many good coaches and staffs in Georgia. Plus, the time, effort and resources that Georgia schools, administrations and communities put into their football programs is extraordinary. The QB play in Georgia sets itself apart from many states. There's so many good QBs around the state. Growing up in Indiana, basketball was king. But football talent and coaching up there has improved drastically the last 20 or so years. I'd put some of those Indy teams like Warren Central and Ben Davis up against anyone in the country. As far as Florida goes, the speed is just ridiculous. You could have a kid do everything possibly wrong and still make a play because they're so fast. With their transfer rules now in effect down there, the schools are creating super teams all over the place. Kids can go anywhere they want. So you lose what little sense of community and school pride they had before. Makes it tough to build anything long term." 

4. Class AAAAAA has been volatile this season. Teams with four and five losses are in the top 10 on region reputation, and some region champions have not been ranked until this week. How do you see it playing out? "Other than the fact that Lee County has been dominating this year, 6A seems wide open. But after that, it seems there are 12-15 teams that could make a run to at least a final four spot. I haven't seen enough of South Georgia football to comment. But it seems Region 1 is stacked and had two teams in the finals last year, although I'd be lying if I said my kids weren't disappointed to see four- and five-loss teams ahead of them in the rankings. We tell them there's only one poll that really matters that occurs in December. I do see our region as underrated. There are some excellent coaches and talent in our region. Alpharetta gave Coffee a run for their money in the third round last year, and Centennial was one play away from beating a very good Mays team in round two. There's some good football in North Fulton, and I'm hoping we can prove that in this year's playoffs." 

Yup, you were drinking....

Basically all this was covered in Q&A....

Good stuff... really like this Coach. 

Buford should step it up, and start recruiting him then Ford can go full time with his Twitter ministry. 

Happy to help,

AllKnowingAsshole

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Interesting take. 

Outside of football, what other sports or activities create an atmosphere that brings many different demographics together as one in a community? What arose that created the apparent fall off in other areas as far as entertainment/community support goes? In your opinion of course.

Hawg:

That is something one could write a book about but in a quick condensed version it would be a follows:

Prior to the era of television, football was a major source of attraction due to the preponderance of eastern and mid western schools propelled by the college powerhouses of that era including West Point. Prior to WW II especially in the east,  it was very inexpensive entertainment hence fans flooded to it fostering a level of regional pride back there which rivaled that of the South today. Local hs football programs such as Everett for example followed the college example much like a younger brother emanating his older one. Schools like Everett really became proficient in the game ( as it was played at that time ) and gained recognition nationally through the connected group of sports writers through out the country. It wasn't due to better players but the population of the country was more concentrated in the area due to jobs. The game at that time had the effect to bond everyone whether Irish, Italian, Jewish, Black or any other race or nationality as it was blue collar and relatable beyond the blue blood world.

After WWII that power gradually shifted to the MW as manufacturing jobs particularly in the Auto and Steel industries attracted huge numbers of people along with interest and participation in the hs game, hence... the Midwest including PA, OH, IL, and MI came to be considered the cradle of hs football as we know it today. Back then most had to work in the summers to survive and whether it be construction, steel work or pretty much any type of manual labor at that time... it was tough and at the end of the summer one was in great shape and kids were ready to play. Places like Pittsburgh, Chicago, Cleveland and Cincinnati among others held hs football maybe one step below God and it was reflected in their level of play. Crowds were intense... even at pep rallies. There was nothing in Friday Night Lights that wasn't common in the MW in the 40's 50's and 60's. In Chicago for example, Saturdays were devoted to attending the CPS games when the CPS was among the best and most organized conferences in the country... followed by catching a Catholic league game which was always played on Sunday to not conflict with the CPS. All of the stadiums were filled to standing room only. It was ritual back then. In fact it was so intense that annually the Prep Bowl attracted crowds as large as eighty thousand people... one year eclipsing one hundred thousand. HS football was a huge factor in bonding black, white and hispanics in an otherwise racially turbulent city.

In both the East and MW, as TV and other media took a stronger hold, the big city attitudes about other forms of entertainment became more of a priority with those attitudes gravitating to a night out on the town at the theater, or dozens of jazz and blues joints or heading to the museums among dozens of other things people chose to do rather than attend a hs football game. In the NE, Manhattan for example, became much more accessible for hs kids ( starting in the late 60's ) to do other things than catch a game. The Beatles and other super rock groups along with Motown, performing concerts became the thing and kids took advantage of that. The concerts were focused more in the North because of the large metro populations in NYC, Chicago and Philadelphia etc. and not as much in the South, leaving football to still be a priority. In the East interest also intensely gravitated to the Giants... same in the MW with the Bears, Browns, Packers, etc when the games were affordable to attend and TV elevated the NFL to "must see" in those areas. Same with baseball when the teams were really bonded to their cities. That, along with the growing attitude of all inclusiveness allowed politics to effect the level of hs play which then eroded the interest in some of the MW cities.

A decade or so later the hs football intensity really began to shift out West and an already nice foundation for the game and its culture in the south began to grow even stronger. It has not ceased as the industrial jobs in the MW eroded with the slow demise of the "smoke stack" economy in favor of tech. Many of the opportunities available in the South and West ( along with more moderate climates ) began to and still are attracting those who now chose to move there. With the exception of maybe the Atlanta area in the distant future, the culture will continue to thrive as the smaller town support in GA, FL, LA and Texas etc will continue to be a mainstay which IMO will continue to yield the best of hs football.

Relative to my comment about Atlanta, I found it interesting that a close friend who is a hs football fanatic shot down my suggestion that we try to catch a game during my trip to there... He instead wanted to have dinner in Buckhead after which we were going to attend a new art showing. He was proud of the fact that metro Atlanta had outgrown the "big town" or "small city" perception into a "world class city" persona which of course will offer more alternatives to catching a game for recreation.

We, as most on the board know, are in another shift with the priority of hs football. With the internet and social media along with powerful financial interests... the dynamics are changing. I am not sure at this point if that is for better or worse.

Hope this sort of answers your question as I can elaborate on a lot more but this post is already too long.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

Right. Kinda surprising to see a Florida coach say that GA football is better than his previous locations overall. What do you think about this blasphemy? Lololololol @Columbiafan

Yeah the overall experience is better 

GA is far away better when it comes to resources and support which is true