Roster sizes/participation

Adam Kurkjian

Just want to get a general feel from folks on what you've seen regarding roster sizes and participation for programs in your area.

Around here in Massachusetts, I've seen a shocking number of squads that usually boast healthy numbers go way, way down. It's a concern. I saw one team that had a successful year in the highest classification, but it included every freshman in the program on the roster, and if you'd taken away those kids, you'd have barely over 40.

10-15, heck, even five years ago, it wasn't like that. And it's almost across the board, except for some pockets of communities where football still has a firm hold on the culture.

Up here, you could look at it a number of ways. A lot of people think it's a concussion scare thing, but a lot of coaches say, and this is the theory I subscribe to, that a lot of kids don't want to put in the work it takes to play the sport compared to previous generations. Some of the stories I hear from coaches are just unreal. "It's too hard," etc. One coach I know had a kid quit football to play ultimate frisbee, I kid you not. And he would have started.

Anyway, just wanted to get some input from people elsewhere in the country on this. I think it probably varies.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

A lot of people think it's a concussion scare thing, but a lot of coaches say, and this is the theory I subscribe to, that a lot of kids don't want to put in the work it takes to play the sport compared to previous generations. 

This was an interesting thread from a coaching board:

http://coachhuey.proboards.com/thread/81844/grindseason-ruining-football

In large Northern Virginia Public schools (1500-3000 students) my impression is that numbers have declined at the programs which traditionally had the biggest turnout (Westfield used to have ~200 kids in their program, now it's more like 120, part of that is due to rezoning which reduced their enrollment), but at non-powerhouse schools I think it varies, there are certainly some programs that are in much better shape than they used to be in. I don't see many teams dressing more than 50 kids for varsity games but it was probably similar a decade ago.

• Like 1

I believe Rush said we have some 500+ kids in the program currently. That includes grades 6-12.

We dress around 100 kids on varsity and at least half of those players will see the field each week.

Participation is definitely higher at Colquitt now than it was 10 years ago. You have to encourage the kids at an early age to come out and play; which Rush placed on huge emphasis on when he got here. Our program's success has helped keep the kids interested and committed to continue playing thru graduation.

2 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

I believe Rush said we have some 500+ kids in the program currently. That includes grades 6-12.

We dress around 100 kids on varsity and at least half of those players will see the field each week.

Participation is definitely higher at Colquitt now than it was 10 years ago. You have to encourage the kids at an early age to come out and play; which Rush placed on huge emphasis on when he got here. Our program's success has helped keep the kids interested and committed to continue playing thru graduation.

Cuz, there ain't shit to do out there!!!

But shoot at beer cans and frog gig.

Happy to help.

BGW

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

Just want to get a general feel from folks on what you've seen regarding roster sizes and participation for programs in your area.

Around here in Massachusetts, I've seen a shocking number of squads that usually boast healthy numbers go way, way down. It's a concern. I saw one team that had a successful year in the highest classification, but it included every freshman in the program on the roster, and if you'd taken away those kids, you'd have barely over 40.

10-15, heck, even five years ago, it wasn't like that. And it's almost across the board, except for some pockets of communities where football still has a firm hold on the culture.

Up here, you could look at it a number of ways. A lot of people think it's a concussion scare thing, but a lot of coaches say, and this is the theory I subscribe to, that a lot of kids don't want to put in the work it takes to play the sport compared to previous generations. Some of the stories I hear from coaches are just unreal. "It's too hard," etc. One coach I know had a kid quit football to play ultimate frisbee, I kid you not. And he would have started.

Anyway, just wanted to get some input from people elsewhere in the country on this. I think it probably varies.

1 not sure I understand why you are astounded that someone would prefer ultimate frisbee...

2 It's not a concussion "scare", it's concussion awareness. I am sure all the serious injury awareness now, not just concussion, is affecting participation. 

3. More choices than ever is likely also at play. 

4 I don't buy the kids don't want to put in the work part the coaches are selling. Participation rates in sports across the board is up. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

During our last Q&A the Lee County HC said he graduated 41 seniors last season. I was shocked by that number, which is about equal to many full rosters here in NJ. 

Let's face it, good bad or indifferent some sports are more culturally relevant than others and this difference can be regional, area or just local. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

During our last Q&A the Lee County HC said he graduated 41 seniors last season. I was shocked by that number, which is about equal to many full rosters here in NJ. 

I knew they graduated a lot... Which is why its so surprising Lee is having such a good season.

Id like it if GA could send more than 1 state champ this year to the GEICO games.

Its pretty obvious this year its going to be FLs highest ranked champ at USAT... Which I imagine will be Carol City or Miami Central if they win the rematch...  Georgias 7A champ... St. Frances Academy and probably either Corner Canyon UT or Chandler AZ.

Id personally like to see Corner Canyon UT go. They are looking pretty good. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Yes, St. Louis HI

Colquitt is gonna have a brutal stretch in the playoffs starting now... If they go to the Geico bowl itd be after beating McEachern, North Gwinnett, Archer or Parkview, then Grayson/Hillgrove/or Milton

.. To do that 4 weeks in a row will be tough. 

I wouldnt be surprised if Grayson won... They are playing well and they will waltz into the Semis then play Hillgrove, Walton, or Milton to go the State Championship 

---

Colquitt vs St. Louis would be a great matchup. Or Colquitt vs SFA.

I just hope they dont do GA vs FL... That happens too often as it is. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ECHS05 said:

Colquitt is gonna have a brutal stretch in the playoffs starting now... If they go to the Geico bowl itd be after beating McEachern, North Gwinnett, Archer or Parkview, then Grayson/Hillgrove/or Milton

.. To do that 4 weeks in a row will be tough. 

I wouldnt be surprised if Grayson won... They are playing well and they will waltz into the Semis then play Hillgrove, Walton, or Milton to go the State Championship 

---

Colquitt vs St. Louis would be a great matchup. Or Colquitt vs SFA.

I just hope they dont do GA vs FL... That happens too often as it is. 

oh, fuckin' please

its a regular post season, nothing special in GA this year. "brutal stretch" good grief/.

SFA has not played a game all year if you are unaware and St. Louis is hardly someone of weight. What it seems to me is that Rush is setting this up himself. 

13 hours ago, Adam Kurkjian said:

I mentioned this last year. Several towns in my area, who used to routinely dress 45 - 50 players each, had to combine with a neighboring town to field 22 between them.

The alternative was to drop football.

Pretty sad.

Could the private schools feasting on all of the talent and demolishing/diminishing the publics in the area have any thing to do with declining enrollments? 

I think there could be numerous factors at play. For instance, just this year alone, an entire conference of private schools forfeited their games against another private for similar reason. Over a period of years, schools siphoning off the talent and ushering it away could have a similar effect I'd imagine. 

Anyway, I'm sure there is more to it than just concussion awareness. Add in the fact that all the top talent is stacked on one or two teams it literally does become dangerous for the rest as far as concussions and safety in general go. 

Culture shifts probably also make an impact. 

I'm sure the coaches reasons are also not untrue. Laziness and etc. probably also has an impact. 

On 11/10/2018 at 8:33 AM, noonereal said:

Let's face it, good bad or indifferent some sports are more culturally relevant than others and this difference can be regional, area or just local. 

I agree with Nor here. Cultural shifts may play in some of this. 

Of course concussions/injuries are going to be an issue with parents letting their child start early. Some will, a lot won't. 

Although Basket ball, Baseball, and Soccer are large in Brevard. Football at the HS level is intense with rosters shifting from one school to another. Cocoa has more underclass players this year by about 25 or so. I don't really see a drop in roster size in this area. If anything, more kids are playing.