Has the internet destroyed journalism

HSFBfan

Years ago  before the internet you had newspapers radio and tv to get your news. It gave people time to get the stories verify the story and get it out to the american people. Now with the internet anyone can buy a site and put up news. Its a race to how quickly things get out there and than when they are wrong they get redacted but in today's world it's too late. The story by then has been retweeted shared etc etc. 

So at the end of the day as more and more "news" sources are out there is the reputation of journalism basically dead. 

Also journalism is probably the worst it's ever been in history.  

I've noticed they make fucking articles about twitter responses. That's not a typo. And it's prevalent. 

Headline - 

"Melania Trump wishes everyone a Merry Christmas. It did not go well" 

And the article will be about random twitter users responding to the tweet bashing her. 

It's insane 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nolebull813 said:

Also journalism is probably the worst it's ever been in history.  

I've noticed they make fucking articles about twitter responses. That's not a typo. And it's prevalent. 

Headline - 

"Melania Trump wishes everyone a Merry Christmas. It did not go well" 

And the article will be about random twitter users responding to the tweet bashing her. 

It's insane 

I agree. There is no thought put into journalism or any real stories. Everything is a quick response to some bs that is being talked about today and to be forgotten about tomorrow. 

No different than yellow journalism years ago. All journalist want today is a reaction and they get it no matter if what they say has any merit to it

20 minutes ago, HSFBfan said:

I agree. There is no thought put into journalism or any real stories. Everything is a quick response to some bs that is being talked about today and to be forgotten about tomorrow. 

No different than yellow journalism years ago. All journalist want today is a reaction and they get it no matter if what they say has any merit to it

You are right about that. Now there are so many hack writers out there that it is out of control. Sometimes I'll read a news story and I'll swear it was written by some 13 yr. old girl.

A buddy of mine has been a sportswriter with a local paper in N. Ca. for almost 40 years and he says that good journalism went out the window when the Internet came along. And that the newspaper business is hanging on by a thread thanks to the internet. Unfortunately the writing in newspapers has deteriorated as well because there have been so many cut backs that they can barely afford to put out a paper. There's not enough $ to pay good writers and not enough $ to get articles proof read before going to print.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1DayPGA said:

You are right about that. Now there are so many hack writers out there that it is out of control. Sometimes I'll read a news story and I'll swear it was written by some 13 yr. old girl.

A buddy of mine has been a sportswriter with a local paper in N. Ca. for almost 40 years and he says that good journalism went out the window when the Internet came along. And that the newspaper business is hanging on by a thread thanks to the internet. Unfortunately the writing in newspapers has deteriorated as well because there have been so many cut backs that they can barely afford to put out a paper. There's not enough $ to pay good writers and not enough $ to get articles proof read before going to print.  

Exactly. Me and you could stand on the corner of the road yelling about any subject and it will end up on somebody blog paper internet story etc. And than tomorrow say we made up everything were telling and the blog whatever would come out and say we had to redact the story due to it being completely false. It's very hard to read any news article today as you have no idea if the information is even correct or what has been left out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

Has the internet destroyed journalism

Not at all. It has had very much the opposite effect. It has caused the mainstream media to be more responsible than ever. 

That some people get their "narrative" from ridiculous sources now is no knock on those that do their job. We always had the supermarket rags. What has happened is that more people than ever use them for "news." And they come in many different forms. Fake news outlets like Breitbart through twitter feeds. 

Another big problem is the bastardization of "truth" by those we elect.

Having never contemplated anyone like Trump, more than a decade ago I advocated it be made illegal for elected politicians to lie to their  constituency. What a different world this would be if we had such a law today. 

In summation, the problem is not journalism, it is, for many, being able to distinguish which are legitimate journalistic outlets.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Speaking of journalism. does anyone remember "The National" it was a newspaper that was all about sports. Frank Deford from SI was the editor and he tried to hire top rated writers from across the country. It only lasted about a year but it was kinda cool to read back then.  

Absolutely remember it. Want to say ‘90-‘91.

19 hours ago, 1DayPGA said:

Speaking of journalism. does anyone remember "The National" it was a newspaper that was all about sports. Frank Deford from SI was the editor and he tried to hire top rated writers from across the country. It only lasted about a year but it was kinda cool to read back then.  

Family friend left The Denver Post and joined The National as a writer back then. He was an excellent sports writer. Now he's having fun as a recognized theater critic. Go figure.

By the way, I agree with NOR on whether or not the internet has destroyed journalism. The bigger issue is how many people consider so many things on the internet journalism in the first place.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maxchoboian said:

Family friend left The Denver Post and joined The National as a writer back then. He was an excellent sports writer. Now he's having fun as a recognized theater critic. Go figure.

By the way, I agree with NOR on whether or not the internet has destroyed journalism. The bigger issue is how many people consider so many things on the internet journalism in the first place.

It really makes no sense to me.  The ability to simply not think or question what you are reading or hearing is a little scary.  I blame the consumer of the information, esp if they get it from facebook or twitter.  Journalism is fine imo, it's the people.  You seen the movie Idiocracy?  Pretty funny.  

• Like 2

The biggest issue I have with journalism in the USA, is the lack of international news. This has always been an issue, but is probably worse today due to the retrenchment of foreign bureaus in the internet era.

Aside from that, I don't think the internet has really impacted journalism negatively. In fact, it has opened up the number of sources which, at least to some degree, is a good thing. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DarterBlue said:

The biggest issue I have with journalism in the USA, is the lack of international news. This has always been an issue, but is probably worse today due to the retrenchment of foreign bureaus in the internet era.

Aside from that, I don't think the internet has really impacted journalism negatively. In fact, it has opened up the number of sources which, at least to some degree, is a good thing. 

The # of sources would normally be a good thing but people don't seem to arm themselves with critical thinking at all.  Maybe lazy or too much bs to sify through.

As for our reporting on international news...we don't seem to care much unless it related to us.  Very disconnected to our fellow humans.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

The # of sources would normally be a good thing but people don't seem to arm themselves with critical thinking at all.  Maybe lazy or too much bs to sify through.

As for our reporting on international news...we don't seem to care much unless it related to us.  Very disconnected to our fellow humans.  

What's crazy, though, is that the USA has individuals here from the four corners of the earth. You would think that there would be a natural tendency to keep up to date on foreign news. Given the country intervenes in foreign countries often enough (sometimes with justification and sometimes not), you would think it would be a good thing to keep its citizens up to speed on what's going on abroad. Otherwise, how are citizens to even know whether our actions are sound or not? I get it, perhaps that is not the intent. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

What's crazy, though, is that the USA has individuals here from the four corners of the earth. You would think that there would be a natural tendency to keep up to date on foreign news. Given the country intervenes in foreign countries often enough (sometimes with justification and sometimes not), you would think it would be a good thing to keep its citizens up to speed on what's going on abroad. Otherwise, how are citizens to even know whether our actions are sound or not? I get it, perhaps that is not the intent. 

A lot of times, imo, we do not find if our policies are sound or not until long after the fact.  Its the nature of the complex and dynamic relationship people have with one another.  It is very informative just to have opinions from other countries citizens and governments along with What think about a partuicular issue.  

1 minute ago, noonereal said:

Personally, I have more international news than ever. By  a lot. 

It's not the availability of international news that is the issue it's the lack of interest in it. 

Sure, from the internet and other sources. However, for those that still get their information from the more traditional news sources, international news has dried up. I don't even know why ABC still calls its program: "World News Tonight" when at best what is provided is national news. 

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Sure, from the internet and other sources. However, for those that still get their information from the more traditional news sources, international news has dried up. I don't even know why ABC still calls its program: "World News Tonight" when at best what is provided is national news. 

Heres some international news....Italy and a bunch of other countries will not sign the migration pact and France is burning 

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

If someone still chooses to get their news from such a limited source that is  on them. 

I have news from Russia, China, Africa, France and England. If I need more perspective than that I can easily find it. 

Just now, noonereal said:

If someone still chooses to get their news from such a limited source that is  on them. 

For relatively poor, unsophisticated people, those limited sources are what they have. Back in the 1960s and 70s, which predate my time living here, those sources did a relatively good job. In Jamaica the local station used to feature CBS news in addition to local news and the BBC. 

3 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

For relatively poor, unsophisticated people, those limited sources are what they have

Sorry, I cannot agree. I know NOONE who does not have a smartphone or access to a PC. 

Again, it's on us as individual. Don't be a Donald, take personal responsibility. (not said to you but rather to each and every member of our society) 

4 minutes ago, noonereal said:

Sorry, I cannot agree. I know NOONE who does not have a smartphone or access to a PC. 

That is mostly true, although in the south, those people exist to a greater degree than you would imagine. Be that as it may, using the computer or smart phone effectively is not as easy as we are inclined to think. It takes a degree of sophistication and discernment that many do not possess.

When the news was provided without doing any "work" on the consumer's part, those individuals were better informed.