Whats wrong with DLS and can it be fixed

Sammyswordsman

DLS has been incredibly underachieving for the past 3 years.  Albeit by their own standards, as most other teams would be very content with the results since after 2015.   In 2012 (after 3 consecutive losses to Servite and missing the playoffs, Rollo said he "blew up the program".  Is it time for Coach Alumbaugh to do the same?

I'd like to hear from the DLS guys about what the issues are and if the program can achieve exponential success, such as Mater Dei achieved.  (Please spare us the talk of transfers).

15 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

DLS has been incredibly underachieving for the past 3 years.  Albeit by their own standards, as most other teams would be very content with the results since after 2015.   In 2012 (after 3 consecutive losses to Servite and missing the playoffs, Rollo said he "blew up the program".  Is it time for Coach Alumbaugh to do the same?

I'd like to hear from the DLS guys about what the issues are and if the program can achieve exponential success, such as Mater Dei achieved.  (Please spare us the talk of transfers).

DLS needs to make more in roads in the NorCal Poly community so they can pick up some bigger beef at the Center and Gaurd positions without giving up the ability to run the Veer.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, California Fan said:

DLS was only 7 points behind the #1 team in the country with 6 minutes left in the State Open Game. What is it they have to fix? Don't talk about transfers? Why not? MD probably had 15-20. That is the only way Rollo could beat DLS.

MD has alway had transfers even when DLS beat them.

1 hour ago, Sammyswordsman said:

There is nothing wrong with DLS, They are the #1 team in Nor Cal, playing a Nationally Competitve schedule, and competing for the Open Championship every year... I would say they are doing just fine....

Rollo was “Blowing Up a Team” that didn’t make the playoffs and had SJB and CC to contend with in the playoffs.... Why would Coach A Have to “Blow Up” a Team that has been the Open Runner up for 3 Straight Years.... Because of Folsom???...🤣🤣🤣.... 

DLS will figure it out... I am not worried and I don’t think they are either... 🙂

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

There is nothing wrong with DLS, They are the #1 team in Nor Cal, playing a Nationally Competitve schedule, and competing for the Open Championship every year... I would say they are doing just fine....

Rollo was “Blowing Up a Team” that didn’t make the playoffs and had SJB and CC to contend with in the playoffs.... Why would Coach A Have to “Blow Up” a Team that has been the Open Runner up for 3 Straight Years.... Because of Folsom???...🤣🤣🤣.... 

DLS will figure it out... I am not worried and I don’t think they are either... 🙂

They don’t care about being the #1 team in Nor cal.  This thread is about DLS not Folsom. 

You did hit on the reason they have to blow up the program though 

13 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

They don’t care about being the #1 team in Nor cal.  This thread is about DLS not Folsom. 

You did hit on the reason they have to blow up the program though 

Are you saying because they are runner up in the open game 3 straight years and play a nationally competitive schedule that that need to “Blow The Program Up”???.....

I just don’t see it.... 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, THEOC89 said:

Are you saying because they are runner up in the open game 3 straight years and play a nationally competitive schedule that that need to “Blow The Program Up”???.....

I just don’t see it.... 

DLS football program's #1 Stated Goal is to win State.

They are 0-3 since 2015 and headed toward 0-5.

Anyone who denies there is a problem is not being honest.

Do you think the coaching staff puts in all that work to be satisfied with being #1 in nor cal?

Do you think Coach A will stick around 5-10 more years if he can't accomplish the #1 stated goal?

Then again, they can always change their #1 stated goal to winning the NCS, and developing fiiiine young men..

Doubt that will happen because Coach Alumbaugh still has the fire.  He will make the changes or he will leave DLS.

Make no mistake.  The next 3-5 years are crucial for the DLS football program.  The old guard is fading away and the program needs new SBG hardware.

5 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Highly doubt Coach Alumbaugh would say that.  

Of course there is a reason you are better suited to be a School president and not the football coach of DLS 

I think you’re right about alumbaugh but think Lad more aligned with my own sentiments 

in any event, it’s not their call 

the call is DLS’s principal’s and it has historically just been whether there is any special admissions receptivity to incoming 9th grader that happens to be a good football player or not 

Br Robert (assume he’s still there?) was there for most of streak years and returned basically at the end of DLS’s trough years (‘04-‘09) — he’s a bit more receptive to spreading the gospel to the uninitiated than was Br Christopher (Tom brady’s Uncle), who pretty much forbid accepting kids that were coming to DLS for sports particularly football 

doesn’t line up exactly but very very close to 

Br Robert (1st term)

151-0

Br Christopher 

56-10-2

Br Robert (2nd term)

133-7

Players matter

but it’s more fun to beat you when none of our guys would start on your team 

and kids get more out of that than the alternative 

and I became convinced this year that a good DLS team, created just with a little Br Robert sort of receptivity to a diversified freshmen class, can compete with any 11 guys socal can put together (and you can still take guys from sacramento)

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

I just don’t see it.... 

He doesn’t either 

OP was a blatant troll 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pops said:

and I became convinced this year that a good DLS team, created just with a little Br Robert sort of receptivity to a diversified freshmen class, can compete with any 11 guys socal can put together (and you can still take guys from sacramento)

Good analysis about a portion of the solution.  If the #1 Stated goal is to win State theln its a no brainer that the 140lb freshmen (your words) are'nt going to cut it.

But I think there is more to be done, and I think that Coach Alumbaugh is going to make significant changes in the program, because he knows DLS is falling behind.

Even Jserra is catching DLS.  Not to get off topic, but the Lions 2019 OOS schedule is insanely difficult and if they can pull it off.......

I am asking for opinions from the DLS guys as to what changes Coach Alumbaugh should consider, because he is probably 7 steps ahead of us here.

Anyone who says "nothing to change, everything is fine" is not being honest.

11 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

DLS football program's #1 Stated Goal is to win State.

They are 0-3 since 2015 and headed toward 0-5.

Anyone who denies there is a problem is not being honest.

Do you think the coaching staff puts in all that work to be satisfied with being #1 in nor cal?

Do you think Coach A will stick around 5-10 more years if he can't accomplish the #1 stated goal?

Then again, they can always change their #1 stated goal to winning the NCS, and developing fiiiine young men..

Doubt that will happen because Coach Alumbaugh still has the fire.  He will make the changes or he will leave DLS.

Make no mistake.  The next 3-5 years are crucial for the DLS football program.  The old guard is fading away and the program needs new SBG hardware.

I dont know man.... If all DLS cared about was winning state, they could just drop down to D1AA and beat up on San Diego...

I do think they care about developing young men and teaching them to put forth their best effort against the best competition and live with the results... 

I think Coach A is there for the long haul Regardless of how many opens they win....

They may not win 4 in a row but they will win again... After all, they have been to 13 in a row so they are doing just fine... 🙂

• Like 5

2 hours ago, California Fan said:

DLS was only 7 points behind the #1 team in the country with 6 minutes left in the State Open Game. What is it they have to fix? Don't talk about transfers? Why not? MD probably had 15-20. That is the only way Rollo could beat DLS.

I like this post, because I know without shadow of doubt that DLS was overrated!