Whats wrong with DLS and can it be fixed

Sammyswordsman

33 minutes ago, Texasvic said:

Can some one tell me what happened to the lbp program? Remember then being relevant but i dont know much about cali aside of the past 8 years. What exactly happened 

2 issues, first a for most LBUSD wants to make LB Poly truly a Polytechnical school focusing on academics and not long just know for sports. So the LBUSD is no longer allowing the Football Program to allow local LB kids they pick into Poly. If you are future 5️ QB who live next door to Poly the odds of LBUSD allowing to go there as a freshman are low. They will ask you to go to another school, sit out your freshman year, get good grade then transfer in. So Poly is no longer getting the best LB football players. At the same time you have the rise of Bosco and to a lease effect Serra.

On 12/26/2018 at 9:27 PM, Sammyswordsman said:

DLS has been incredibly underachieving for the past 3 years.  Albeit by their own standards, as most other teams would be very content with the results since after 2015.   In 2012 (after 3 consecutive losses to Servite and missing the playoffs, Rollo said he "blew up the program".  Is it time for Coach Alumbaugh to do the same?

I'd like to hear from the DLS guys about what the issues are and if the program can achieve exponential success, such as Mater Dei achieved.  (Please spare us the talk of transfers).

Maybe DLS can develop a pipeline from the IE Ducks 

17 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

2 issues, first a for most LBUSD wants to make LB Poly truly a Polytechnical school focusing on academics and not long just know for sports. So the LBUSD is no longer allowing the Football Program to allow local LB kids they pick into Poly. If you are future 5️ QB who live next door to Poly the odds of LBUSD allowing to go there as a freshman are low. They will ask you to go to another school, sit out your freshman year, get good grade then transfer in. So Poly is no longer getting the best LB football players. At the same time you have the rise of Bosco and to a lease effect Serra.

Narbonne gets some LB guys too

• Like 1

I think this thread is Bullshit! Nothing is wrong at DLS, they’ll keep doing what they do. Win in 99% of their games with kids that start playing football there their Freshman year. Grant most kids, not all, some come there their Sophomore year. Instead Sammy, tell us what’s wrong with Servite and how do they fix it? Program hasn’t been the same since they were Mud Stomped (literally) by DLS in the 2010 Open game. They’ve never beaten DLS. Why is that??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My two cents.

A lot has changed since 2003. There have been several books written that give great insight into the inner workings of the De La Salle program. There has been a greater push for interstate matchups between national powers. There have been changes to practice regimens. There have been additional sites/publications that rank teams and players. There have been changes to 7 on 7. They've added a state championship and have modified the format several times. There have been changes to recruiting paradigms in CIF sections. There has been a new head coach. 

Amidst all these changes, I think De La Salle has fared very well. I think its indisputable that they have not had the same success in the fifteen years before 2003 that they have had in the fifteen years after, but they have arguably been the most consistent program in the country during this latter stretch. Yes, they don't have a glistening OOS record; yes, they have failed to win the ultimate goal in the last three years, but the program is not at the crossroads that the OP suggests. 

IMHO, De La Salle will continue to do De La Salle. They will adapt to the new landscape with the same principles that brought them success, but I don't see them changing their admission policies to compete in the new arms race. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

On 12/27/2018 at 1:29 AM, Pops said:

I think you’re right about alumbaugh but think Lad more aligned with my own sentiments 

in any event, it’s not their call 

the call is DLS’s principal’s and it has historically just been whether there is any special admissions receptivity to incoming 9th grader that happens to be a good football player or not 

Br Robert (assume he’s still there?) was there for most of streak years and returned basically at the end of DLS’s trough years (‘04-‘09) — he’s a bit more receptive to spreading the gospel to the uninitiated than was Br Christopher (Tom brady’s Uncle), who pretty much forbid accepting kids that were coming to DLS for sports particularly football 

doesn’t line up exactly but very very close to 

Br Robert (1st term)

151-0

Br Christopher 

56-10-2

Br Robert (2nd term)

133-7

Players matter

but it’s more fun to beat you when none of our guys would start on your team 

and kids get more out of that than the alternative 

and I became convinced this year that a good DLS team, created just with a little Br Robert sort of receptivity to a diversified freshmen class, can compete with any 11 guys socal can put together (and you can still take guys from sacramento)

Brother Robert isn't ashamed to win football games. DLS wll start getting better players. A coupla linemen  per year, and then order will be restored.  DLS is a bit more demanding, and expects academic prowness, along with guys playing every down like it's 4th and goal from the 2, 3 seconds on the clock to win. I like Rollinson, helluva guy, however, he acknowledged after dropping four in a row, " I have no idea how to beat this team." Another poster correctly stated MD has always had kids transfer in. Bt were the Monarchs averaging as many per year? And were they usually 4-5* studs?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

Brother Robert isn't ashamed to win football games. DLS wll start getting better players. A coupla linemen  per year, and then order will be restored.

That’s a pretty astute observation from across the country 

Br Christopher seemed a bit embarrassed by the athletic notoriety — he became principle in the last couple of years of streak an offended some by proclaiming that he thinks it would be good for DLS to lose 

even if true, went over like a turd 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Pops said:

That’s a pretty astute observation from across the country 

Br Christopher seemed a bit embarrassed by the athletic notoriety — he became principle in the last couple of years of streak an offended some by proclaiming that he thinks it would be good for DLS to lose 

even if true, went over like a turd 

I remember reading him saying that in the Contra Costa paper. Figured he would regret the comment. Plus, until 2017, a cousin of mine who lived in Danville, ( moved to Tampa to take over the biggest liquor distributor on the Gulf side) was tuned in to DLS. Played for two big school state champions, ( Lakeside-Atlanta, 1970, and 1972), said to me "You've never seen a team that executes  like these boys. More talented teams no doubt, but these kids are the real deal."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JCGIII said:

I remember reading him saying that in the Contra Costa paper. Figured he would regret the comment. Plus, until 2017, a cousin of mine who lived in Danville, ( moved to Tampa to take over the biggest liquor distributor on the Gulf side) was tuned in to DLS. Played for two big school state champions, ( Lakeside-Atlanta, 1970, and 1972), said to me "You've never seen a team that executes  like these boys. More talented teams no doubt, but these kids are the real deal."

Very nice comments 

if I don’t know your brother, we have friends in common — I lived in Danville area and was in related business 

did he send kids to the local hs?

30 minutes ago, Pops said:

Very nice comments 

if I don’t know your brother, we have friends in common — I lived in Danville area and was in related business 

did he send kids to the local hs?

William's kids went to Monte Vista. The game I saw was in 98' DLS laid out some poor team. 70-0 I believe. it ws a couple of weeks after beating Mater Dei. Was my cousin. He was Vice President of Segrams Wine division. Lived in Blackhawk.

There is nothing wrong with DLS as they are a great program that does today what it did 20 years ago.

Now if they want to be the state champs they have to join the arms race with the Southern Cal powerhouses and either get rid of the Veer or add much more passing plays to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pops said:

If I remember correctly, his comments have been blown a little out of proportion over the years.  Didn't he say something like "there are lessons to be learned by losing and our kids have not gotten to experience that"?   That was interpreted to mean that he wanted them to lose, but that is not exactly what he said.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rippers said:

If I remember correctly, his comments have been blown a little out of proportion over the years.  Didn't he say something like "there are lessons to be learned by losing and our kids have not gotten to experience that"?   That was interpreted to mean that he wanted them to lose, but that is not exactly what he said.

I don’t know what happened but I reported what was told to me by a current player at the time so can see you being right but my guy telling me what he “heard”

2 hours ago, Pops said:

I don’t know what happened but I reported what was told to me by a current player at the time so can see you being right but my guy telling me what he “heard”

I found the exact quote:

"Its hard to say I want them to lose.  But losing is part of the game.  We just haven't experienced it.  There's a lot to be learned from finishing second or third and not having the score in your favor."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

....or Third? 

umm.gif

Socal is lucky that DLS has not done joined the transfer era.  If many of the best in NorCal were transferring in to play for DLS and with the system DLS has, SoCal would struggle to win 40% of the Open.  Maybe less than that.  So just be thankful that NorCal sections and DLS still does it the way they do because it would be better for you.

• Like 1