Who is the greatest sports athlete of all time.?

Horsefly

20 minutes ago, The Colonel said:

DevilDog, Outstanding. I have have much respect for African-American athletes like Robinson, who competed in difficult socio-economic times.  I’m glad MLB retired his number 42.  Great athlete for sure.

I only pointed him out with the Bo and Deion references because I don't  think they know what he accomplished as a multi sport athlete.  I don't know who's  the greatest ever.  I feel that Bolt is.  Your response on an earlier man possibly faster was very interesting

I read this. They don't know just how fast Bolt would been under same fears.  Good read.  Thanks for bringing it to my attention

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2012/08/06/is-usain-bolt-th

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 5:46 PM, HSFBfan said:

I like that you considered a horse. Most people dont consider a horse an athlete(not me as I love horse racing) but his win at belmont at 27 1/2 lengths is incredible 

I didn't see this on my first pass through the thread. I don't want to miss an opportunity to agree with you on something, since we've disagreed on so much in the past. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Colonel said:

DevilDog, Outstanding. I have have much respect for African-American athletes like Robinson, who competed in difficult socio-economic times.  I’m glad MLB retired his number 42.  Great athlete for sure.

I agree. Pro sports is hard enough on its own. 

No one has mentioned Bill Russell, who won 11 championships in 13 seasons.

I listened to an interview with Bob Pettit, who is a member of the HOF and who himself won a championship and a few MVPs in that same era. And I think he's a smart guy. For example, he put himself on a strength and conditioning program and put on 50 pounds of muscle at a time when there were no strength and conditioning coaches and when conventional wisdom said that muscle would ruin your shot, but he thought (correctly) that if he was stronger and in better shape, he could be more productive, especially then, when the game was more physical than it is now. And he had a successful career in banking after basketball. 

He said that if he could build a team around any one player in the history of basketball, he would build his team around Bill Russell, without hesitation.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2019 at 10:51 PM, The Colonel said:

Jesse+Owens+Berlin+Olympics+1936.jpg

Jesse Ownens should be on a short list of greatest athletes.  He set three world records and tied a fourth in a single day in college.  He won four gold medals at the Berlin Olympics and humiliated Hitler on the world stage by beating his “master race”. 

My vote - Iconic 

• Like 2