Part of the reason I've never been a huge buyer of star ratings like Rivals and 247

HawgGoneIt

Besides the fact that I've seen numerous occasions where no stars whip the britches off of 4 and 5 stars, let's add dumbassery and laziness to the list of reasons to not buy in.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/14/18224994/blake-carringer-fake-recruit-247-rivals-recruiting-rankings

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those of us following along for a while realize how lazy these recruiting sites have gotten... not that they were ever great. 

Profit over quality for sure. 

Pretty stupid system honestly. 

From a Georgia viewpoint...Let's rate or rank the kids that's parents or booster clubs spend small fortunes to get them to Atlanta and in front of our sharp pencil nerds. 

Ahh... screw the rest. They may be 2.5 stars. Maybe. 

Spend 500 bucks to attend some camp...

3 stars! 

Tweet at me. Retweet my tweets! 3 star! Get at me bro!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Those of us following along for a while realize how lazy these recruiting sites have gotten... not that they were ever great. 

Profit over quality for sure. 

Pretty stupid system honestly. 

From a Georgia viewpoint...Let's rate or rank the kids that's parents or booster clubs spend small fortunes to get them to Atlanta and in front of our sharp pencil nerds. 

Ahh... screw the rest. They may be 2.5 stars. Maybe. 

Spend 500 bucks to attend some camp...

3 stars! 

Tweet at me. Retweet my tweets! 3 star! Get at me bro!

Pretty damn accurate even with the satire.

I shit you not.

BGW

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Been saying it for a while now.  Getting worse in FL, so I'm sure it's bad in other states.   Ya'll saw that kids tape a while back.  Disgrace on those sites. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Pretty damn accurate even with the satire.

I shit you not.

BGW

Us lowly wood chopping, cow tipping Colquitt folk been laughing at these star ratings for a good long while. 

I really think these things cause more trouble for coaches than anything else. Speaking from a total outsider perspective of course.

• Like 1

In 247sports defense, their composite rating was based on Rivals screw-up, so they adjusted now to not show a composite rating until their site analyst (s) have rated the recruit.   Seems fair enough.  

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/

The lower progression of % of making the NFL falls in line with the ratings.   

Some kids are late bloomers physically and/or come from another sport background or another country.    There will always be the sleeper athletes, who are underappreciated and excel.  

Which came first, the star rating or the college offer (s)?   Do star ratings dictate offers or do offers dictate star ratings?   

We've all seen examples of 3 stars with big school offers and 3 stars with no FBS offers.    At times ratings can be unusual, just like school ratings/rankings :).   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, golfaddict1 said:

In 247sports defense, their composite rating was based on Rivals screw-up, so they adjusted now to not show a composite rating until their site analyst (s) have rated the recruit.   Seems fair enough.  

https://247sports.com/Article/NFL-Draft-recruiting-rankings-go-hand-in-hand--117819292/

The lower progression of % of making the NFL falls in line with the ratings.   

Some kids are late bloomers physically and/or come from another sport background or another country.    There will always be the sleeper athletes, who are underappreciated and excel.  

Which came first, the star rating or the college offer (s)?   Do star ratings dictate offers or do offers dictate star ratings?   

We've all seen examples of 3 stars with big school offers and 3 stars with no FBS offers.    At times ratings can be unusual, just like school ratings/rankings :).   

I'm just sort of piling on 247. I know the real error was on Rivals. Still though... How often could or has stuff like this occurred?

How much fact checking are these lazy bastards actually doing on stats and measurables and whatever other stuff they're using? Especially as it pertains to kids they have never seen in person. 

In this day and time of AI and smart mofos that can and will edit videos so that uniforms could be different colors and etc., how can we really trust a damn thing from these folks? 

8 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Critical thinking and deductive reasoning seems to be a concept especially when it comes to the interweb effluent. 

Just cuz it’s printed/posted just don’t make it so....

BGW

True this. 

Of course, we are mostly all lazy, so a quick check of 246 or rout or scivals usually gets our rocks off on which team is THE team and stuff. 

Sitting on a barstool. 247 open on the mobile device. Both legs and feet sticking straight out and butt bouncing while moaning... My kids are better than your kids! 🖕😆

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Besides the fact that I've seen numerous occasions where no stars whip the britches off of 4 and 5 stars, let's add dumbassery and laziness to the list of reasons to not buy in.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/14/18224994/blake-carringer-fake-recruit-247-rivals-recruiting-rankings

I've been known around here to discredit camp warriors.

18 minutes ago, RedZone said:

When college football elite's sign 10-15 3* prospects per year you realize the "star system" is all about the state quotas.

I can tell you how many 4* prospects Louisiana will have every year for the next decade. It doesn't change much.Just the faces and profiles. lol

The nail in the coffin right there.  There have been many football players over the years from all over this country that have been severely underrated because they weren't from the football power states.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RedZone said:

When college football elite's sign 10-15 3* prospects per year you realize the "star system" is all about the state quotas.

I can tell you how many 4* prospects Louisiana will have every year for the next decade. It doesn't change much.Just the faces and profiles. lol

RB Josh Jacobs for Alabama was a 3* coming out of Oklahoma and he will be a 1st RD draft pick this year.

Probably would have been a 5* at Mater Dei. lol

https://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Jacobs-88328/high-school-168307/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm just sort of piling on 247. I know the real error was on Rivals. Still though... How often could or has stuff like this occurred?

How much fact checking are these lazy bastards actually doing on stats and measurables and whatever other stuff they're using? Especially as it pertains to kids they have never seen in person. 

In this day and time of AI and smart mofos that can and will edit videos so that uniforms could be different colors and etc., how can we really trust a damn thing from these folks? 

My guess is the offers dictate ratings more than a 247 analyst coming out with a rating of a 2022 recruit right now with 0 offers as an example.   One could use the argument that this info I shared in the link above is more representative of the quality of the schools recruiting.   You also have to consider that some highly recruited athletes just don't make the splash they did in HS, whether it be injuries, grades or disciplinary issues or just not getting it done on the field healthy.   It works both ways with diamonds in the rough moving up and some elites fizzling out.  

2018 NFL Draftees

5-star: 19
4-star: 70
3-star: 106
2-star: 19
NR: 42

2014 Class - 247Sports Composite

5-star: 33 (57.6%)
4-star: 296 (23.6%)
3-star: 1,541 (6.9%)
2-star: 1,666 (1.1%)
NR: NA    (we can assume a bleep load)

------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 NFL Draft

Five-star: 23
Four-star: 76
Three-star: 90
Two-star: 25
NR: 38

2013 Class - 247Sports Composite

Five-star: 35 (65.7%)
Four-star: 330 (23%)
Three-star: 1,790 (5%)
Two-star: 1,720 (1.4%)

Two year analysis... "Five-stars, in general, are eventually drafted 50-plus percent of the time. Three-star players, meanwhile, make it at a rate of around five percent. Obviously, the way the player pool works goes against lower-ranked prospects in terms of these percentages. There are far more three-star recruits than four- or five-stars. But it also shows, by and large, the recruiting industry (moreso FBS school recruiting) does a good job identifying talent, even half a decade away from when those players will land in the pros."

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

My guess is the offers dictate ratings more than a 247 analyst coming out with a rating of a 2022 recruit right now with 0 offers as an example.   One could use the argument that this info I shared in the link above is more representative of the quality of the schools recruiting.   You also have to consider that some highly recruited athletes just don't make the splash they did in HS, whether it be injuries, grades or disciplinary issues or just not getting it done on the field healthy.   It works both ways with diamonds in the rough moving up and some elites fizzling out.  

2018 NFL Draftees

5-star: 19
4-star: 70
3-star: 106
2-star: 19
NR: 42

2014 Class - 247Sports Composite

5-star: 33 (57.6%)
4-star: 296 (23.6%)
3-star: 1,541 (6.9%)
2-star: 1,666 (1.1%)
NR: NA    (we can assume a bleep load)

------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 NFL Draft

Five-star: 23
Four-star: 76
Three-star: 90
Two-star: 25
NR: 38

2013 Class - 247Sports Composite

Five-star: 35 (65.7%)
Four-star: 330 (23%)
Three-star: 1,790 (5%)
Two-star: 1,720 (1.4%)

Two year analysis... "Five-stars, in general, are eventually drafted 50-plus percent of the time. Three-star players, meanwhile, make it at a rate of around five percent. Obviously, the way the player pool works goes against lower-ranked prospects in terms of these percentages. There are far more three-star recruits than four- or five-stars. But it also shows, by and large, the recruiting industry (moreso FBS school recruiting) does a good job identifying talent, even half a decade away from when those players will land in the pros."

And I mean "thank you" for posting, not 'thank you' for posting what I knew already...

Just puttin' it out there...

Regards,

BGW

Well, I'm wondering, being that I've never really been that involved with any recruiting or anything... Are the colleges looking at these sites as their way of identifying all of this talent? 

It appears to me these sites are just there for the aforementioned dad sat on the barstool with his phone out tweeting his kid is better than yours. 

Other than creating an environment where some kids have overblown expectations and senses of worth that make it harder on high school coaches, what is the real value of the recruiting sites? Of course I know they give us a tool to use for sake of argument as well. I mean the real practical value. 

4 hours ago, RedZone said:

Couldn’t agree more man.  Somehow, IMG gets founded and should actually up the number of Fl recruits since a bunch of blue chips from other states get put into Florida’s pre set “quotas” and instead just ends up taking away “spots” for Fl kids.  Like, comon man all of a sudden fl had no elite players?  Only the kids from IMG?  

An OL from IMG transferred back to Lakeland, went undefeated and won state against STA, a game where the RB got some great blocking I might add...   result?? Let’s take away that 4th star lol.  Joke!

@RedZone

This kid had ZERO stars this cycle!  ZERO!

Receptions 72

Receiving Yards 1382

Yards Per Catch 19.2
Receiving Yards Per Game 92.1
Receiving Long 80
Receiving TDs 16

Interceptions 8
Interceptions Yards 201
Yards Per INT 25.1
Interceptions Per Game 0.5
Passes Defensed 5
This all on the surprise 8A champ team!  Gotta give this kid at least a few fkn stars man!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Well, I'm wondering, being that I've never really been that involved with any recruiting or anything... Are the colleges looking at these sites as their way of identifying all of this talent? 

It appears to me these sites are just there for the aforementioned dad sat on the barstool with his phone out tweeting his kid is better than yours. 

Other than creating an environment where some kids have overblown expectations and senses of worth that make it harder on high school coaches, what is the real value of the recruiting sites? Of course I know they give us a tool to use for sake of argument as well. I mean the real practical value. 

1. My guess best guess would be these colleges use the hype to build the players bio on the roster list, the blogger and sportswriters use it for their own end... nope not a guess, it's happening but as far as using for identifying... probably not unless the eye test passes at a game or event live. More of prompting a "looky Lou".

2. Only for the dad forking out the cash for the "elite" camps and "workshops", interestingly some of these "evaluators" are former coaches... some couldn't cut it coaching, some have love trysts with the players moms. Some sit on the All American voting committees and take "donations" so that little Johnny and little Suzy get on that roster despite all sorts of character flags.

3. Yup true dat... value is in those booklets sold for $1000s at these events with all the pertinent info on these players, just so "evaluator" can possess the latest bling, sneaks and spinner 22s on that Charger.

Regards,

BGW

• Like 1