NASCAR is in the toilet

HooverOutlaw

The claim was it was sold out. 

I think it was. It was sold out to the clean hand, mani-pedi Jeff Gordon types years ago. Speaking from a directly redneck pov of course. 

They've shifted from asses in the seats to asses in front of the t.v. 

It is what it is. You either love racing or you don't. 

Me personally... I love racing. I still love the personalities. I love the friendships that I've made due to racing or around racing. Idc if the seats are full or not. The market is still there for what they're trying to do I guess. Maybe. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I just couldn't get into Nascar... 

My dad was. 

I knew enough to have a conversation. And knew my way around.

But I'm far more into Drag racing... 

Where were you this weekend bro?! 

Lights Out 10! Huge crowd. Over 15k in house on Saturday around 1 p.m. alone. More than 40k from Thursday through Saturday at 1. 

28 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Lights Out 10! Huge crowd. Over 15k in house on Saturday around 1 p.m. alone. More than 40k from Thursday through Saturday at 1. 

Man I've been so busy I haven't had time to get to Cecil... I've been to Orlando, Sarasota and Virginia Beach.... 

I haven't been home in almost 2 weeks until now...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NorCalRuss said:

He guessed on that tree perfectly? Looked that way anyway. Fassst 

I didn't ever hear the exact reaction time on that run. Everyone was too loud after seeing the world record run that you couldn't hear the announcers. 

Most of the top cars ran around 205 mph with reaction times around 0.525 to 0.515. I do know the event winner Laughlin averaged around 0.520 reaction over the 4 days. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Now that will get you to the next light in the the number #1 hole!

Looked effortless...

BGW

p.s. definitely wear ear pugs on the track or not so cool ear protection.

I should have used better stuff. My ears were still ringing last night. 

Let me tell you what else that 217 mph run caused... Ear plugs were blown right out of everyone's ears and girls skirts were sucked right off of them all the way down the track. 

Guys were running around down there hopping and swatting at the air trying to catch all the skirts like they were butterflies fluttering through the air. xD

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I should have used better stuff. My ears were still ringing last night. 

Let me tell you what else that 217 mph run caused... Ear plugs were blown right out of everyone's ears and girls skirts were sucked right off of them all the way down the track. 

Guys were running around down there hopping and swatting at the air trying to catch the all skirts like they were butterflies fluttering through the air. xD

Thanks for that visual....

BGW

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Thanks for that visual....

BGW

Here... I'll mess that one up...

Saturday night, I don't remember the exact time, a car got loose after going wheels up and trying to pedal through it. Well he finally lost control about mid run right where I was standing. Ended up in a single barrel roll coming right toward the fence before landing back on all four and driving to a stop down the track. 

Anyway... right at that moment when he was coming at the fence upside down, I was leaned on the fence looking right at it. I didn't know whether to shit or git, but, gittin' was winning all around me.  Hahaha

I looked left and the guy that had been there was gone. Still could see his little silhouette or ghost or whatever standing there. The dudes on the other side got turned and had an elbow up to start a sprint but, shittin might of been winning by the looks on their faces. 

• Haha 1

On 2/17/2019 at 4:25 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

I usually go to Commerce the 1st weekend in May for the Southern Nationals. My Dad liked it way more than me... But I still enjoy the Top Fuel Funny Cars & Dragsters.

Loved John Force back in the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

I usually go to Commerce the 1st weekend in May for the Southern Nationals. My Dad liked it way more than me... But I still enjoy the Top Fuel Funny Cars & Dragsters.

Loved John Force back in the day.

I used to be more into top fuel and that stuff too. All the big tire cars.

I've gotten around to really liking the small tire racing though. Much more of a tuners deal to get that horsepower to the track when the tire is only 275 mm. Definitely still appreciate the wing cars and all too though. Actually some of the drivers cross over at times. 

I can get the best of both worlds here. This weekend was one of the biggest small tire races of the year anywhere in America. Next weekend is the NHRA/ Lucas Oil series which is the big tire cars, just not the biggest drivers or wing cars.

Then a lot of the top fuel drivers hit here as a test n tune for the Gator Nationals in the week or two leading up to that. 

52 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Nascar has always sucked IMO.  Shame it's the most recognized racing organization here. 

NASCAR really is better as a live spectator sport. It was novel in the old days as they'd only show a race or two per year on t.v. which helped to generate traffic to the stands to see what the hooplah was about.

They've certainly tried moving away from their "roots" by taking a lot of the "extra-curricular" stuff away as they've intentionally shifted to a more sponsor driven "face of the sponsor" type of sport. In this day and time, sponsors answer to social pressures, so the rough old grisly codger with a cigarette in one hand, beer in another head butting his arch rival after getting out his car after the race has left the building. 

Anyway, over this shift from spectator sport to t.v. sport has had it's problems for sure. The drivers with big personalities have to appear more subdued for the t.v. audience and then something is lost in the translation for most of the older school fans. 

• Thanks 1