Colquitt's 2020 Football Schedule....

Rufus69

I'm not sure what it will look like...but I have some opines that I hope our AD and new HC will consider:

1.  Dump the Corky Kell and replace it with a home opening game with an OOS opponent.  We should call it...The Babe White Classic.  The total cost of traveling to the ATL to play in the Benz has gotten out of hand. We should use that money to bring in a Hoover, a Clay-Chalkville, an STA or a known school with a national scope.  If it's a team that makes sense...the Hawgs would pack the stadium and pesos would be made instead of lost to the GHSA.

2.  Use the Lowndes approach to high school football.  Play as many home games as you can.  Negotiate the buyout when applicable and try to stay as close to home when picking opposing teams.  Nothing wrong with playing good hard-nosed football no matter what the classification.   They're out there...and I would imagine that Colquitt wouldn't be as scary to them in 2020 as we have in years past.

3.  Worry about winning the Georgia AAAAAAA State Title.  If we concentrate on that and only on that...National attention should come.  In 2018, my opine is... we were already looking past Milton towards a possible 16th game with St. Frances and it cost us.  Now I'm not gonna take anything away from Milton...they beat us.  But honestly, we did not play up to our capabilities.  Anybody (Packer fan)  who was at that game...had to leave scratching their head...wondering what happened to the team that lined up earlier in the year?   When you're not totally focused...it opens the door for your opponent to play well.  Milton took advantage of that.  They deserved to win.  We didn't.

What I'm saying is simple.  Let's get back to playing Packer Region 1 football.  In your face...till the final whistle stops blowing...refuse to lose football.

Then...if we make the National Top 100 polls...well Glory Hallelujah.  If not....well...just Durn......(Smile).

Win your Titles on the field.....

Rufus>>

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Rufus,

You're pithy and a decent host, but did you run this by the "three Amigos"?

'Cause it actually makes sense.

Long game would be, be the marquee team an Diamond Dave and the others will pay your way and a case of 1800 thrown in for giggles....

My .02,

BGW

Don't get me wrong...the Corky Kell is a worthy exercise.  It was started as a charitable event that was pretty much for the metro ATL teams.  No major costs for them to attend...as long as they could sell the tickets.  It just doesn't make any sense for a South Georgia team to spend the kind of money needed to attend and participate in the Corky.  I've said that for years...but Rush outvoted me.  

I just think there's a whole lot better way for Colquitt to spend our money and still get the recognition we want (assuming we still do).   With our AD now being close personal friends with a couple of these National Scheduling Gurus...I know we could make a very competitive opening game in the Hawg Pen....The Babe White Classic !!!!

So it is written; so shall it be done

Rufus>>

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

I'm not sure what it will look like...but I have some opines that I hope our AD and new HC will consider:

1.  Dump the Corky Kell and replace it with a home opening game with an OOS opponent.  We should call it...The Babe White Classic.  The total cost of traveling to the ATL to play in the Benz has gotten out of hand. We should use that money to bring in a Hoover, a Clay-Chalkville, an STA or a known school with a national scope.  If it's a team that makes sense...the Hawgs would pack the stadium and pesos would be made instead of lost to the GHSA.

2.  Use the Lowndes approach to high school football.  Play as many home games as you can.  Negotiate the buyout when applicable and try to stay as close to home when picking opposing teams.  Nothing wrong with playing good hard-nosed football no matter what the classification.   They're out there...and I would imagine that Colquitt wouldn't be as scary to them in 2020 as we have in years past.

3.  Worry about winning the Georgia AAAAAAA State Title.  If we concentrate on that and only on that...National attention should come.  In 2018, my opine is... we were already looking past Milton towards a possible 16th game with St. Frances and it cost us.  Now I'm not gonna take anything away from Milton...they beat us.  But honestly, we did not play up to our capabilities.  Anybody (Packer fan)  who was at that game...had to leave scratching their head...wondering what happened to the team that lined up earlier in the year?   When you're not totally focused...it opens the door for your opponent to play well.  Milton took advantage of that.  They deserved to win.  We didn't.

What I'm saying is simple.  Let's get back to playing Packer Region 1 football.  In your face...till the final whistle stops blowing...refuse to lose football.

Then...if we make the National Top 100 polls...well Glory Hallelujah.  If not....well...just Durn......(Smile).

Rufus>>

So the Packers will never have the chance to fly on a plane ✈️ and play a Northern Atlantic or Cali team

damn would be special to the kids to get out of Moultrie for the weekend 

3 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

So the Packers will never have the chance to fly on a plane ✈️ and play a Northern Atlantic or Cali team

damn would be special to the kids to get out of Moultrie for the weekend 

I mean... 

They can get out of Moultrie for the weekend without the assistance of Football... 

Colquitt may be rural but it's There's plenty of larger cities in driving distance. 

3 minutes ago, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

I mean... 

They can get out of Moultrie for the weekend without the assistance of Football... 

Colquitt may be rural but it's There's plenty of larger cities in driving distance. 

But I’m talking about like Cross Country ... no other feeling then playing a Game thousands of miles from Home

really gets the bood Pumping 

and these OOS schools always do cool things like SFA game joes will most definitely visit capital hill and DC  spend a Day or 2 showing our kids things that 90.% of the time they would never had done that

6 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

But I’m talking about like Cross Country ... no other feeling then playing a Game thousands of miles from Home

and these OOS schools always do cool things like SFA game joes will most definitely visit capital hill and DC  spend a Day or 2 showing our kids things that 90.% of the time they would never had done that

Traveling cross country gets my blood pumping too... 

And my anger... 

And my wallet... 

Traveling to the Northern Atlantic gets my blood pumping too... 

Makes me almost wanna dig my own grave and lay down in it... 

8 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Rufus>>

1. Does money go to the GHSA or does it all go to the charity?  I was thinking it all went to the charity but could be wrong.

2. I think we *might* step away some from the traveling because it is expensive.  It is getting easier to find strong opponents closer than it used to.

3. I know all about not playing to our capabilities.  Had we done that I think we would have been 15-0 and in the running for the MNC.  I know a lot of people were blaming Coach Hunnicutt for that but after watching the entire season there were way too many people influencing the players other than the coaching staff.  I'll just let it go at that.

Y'all had Packer football, we had Grayson football.  I think we both got away from that and paid the price.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fred said:

1. Does money go to the GHSA or does it all go to the charity?  I was thinking it all went to the charity but could be wrong.

2. I think we *might* step away some from the traveling because it is expensive.  It is getting easier to find strong opponents closer than it used to.

3. I know all about not playing to our capabilities.  Had we done that I think we would have been 15-0 and in the running for the MNC.  I know a lot of people were blaming Coach Hunnicutt for that but after watching the entire season there were way too many people influencing the players other than the coaching staff.  I'll just let it go at that.

Y'all had Packer football, we had Grayson football.  I think we both got away from that and paid the price.

That's pretty much Gospel....

Rufus>>

15 minutes ago, Fred said:

DURN....

Colquitt was a Field goal from winning a MNC this year 

I think the Propst love affair with the Corky Kell was the t.v. opportunity for the kids. 

As a fan, the thing has gotten stale for me. 

As a dude thinking about the kids learning to fish... I am perfectly ok with going up and getting the boys on t.v., and this season, hoping the coach and admin don't fall on their face. 

Let's teach the kids to fish. If Coach Rogers has a better idea about how to do that, I'm all ears. Like Dumbo ya know. If he doesn't, I'd just as soon pay my way back to the Benz every year until he does.

3 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

and these OOS schools always do cool things like SFA game joes will most definitely visit capital hill and DC  spend a Day or 2 showing our kids things that 90.% of the time they would never had done

Several of the elementary schools in Colquitt County, usually 5th graders, take a trip to DC as a group. I'd be willing to bet that probably half or more of CC students have seen DC by the time they are in high school.

If we are going to travel across the country to play football, I'd prefer that we be there to take care of business on the field, not sight seeing. You feel me?

2 minutes ago, CCBlackhatter said:

Several of the elementary schools in Colquitt County, usually 5th graders, take a trip to DC as a group. I'd be willing to bet that probably half or more of CC students have seen DC by the time they are in high school.

If we are going to travel across the country to play football, I'd prefer that we be there to take care of business on the field, not sight seeing. You feel me?

Just how ur team bonded and learned how to live with each other the night before Gameday at hotel same goes with traveling OOS...there’s small things they pick up from those trips that are irreplaceable that help them down the road

Just now, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Just how ur team bonded and learned how to live with each other the night before Gameday at hotel same goes with traveling OOS...there’s small things they pick up from those trips that are irreplaceable that help them down the road

Maybe, maybe not.

I'd water that beating a big name OOS team in the Hawg Pen would be just as memorable for the guys.

6 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Our admin can't see the value in that type stuff bro! Call them and file a complaint. 

I think Doug's secretary's name is Helen Waite. 

You can still put in a call. Just don't be surprised if they tell you to go to Helen Waite. 

• Haha 2

On 4/18/2019 at 9:21 AM, Rufus69 said:

Cost is the number one reason we never did the Corky Kell.  Just never made financial sense to do it.  I think we should do a South Georgia Classic, with a twist.  Here's an example.  Lowndes partners with Colquitt (or Tift) and puts on our own kickoff classic.  There would be two games.  One game played on a Friday night.  The second game played on a Saturday night.  I would play the games over two nights to avoid daytime games (because of heat).  The first game (for example) would be at Lowndes playing an elite team.  Normally, the elite team probably would not bring many fans.  But, because it's a marquee matchup, the game should attract fans from across South Georgia.  Heck, even Colquitt fans may want to come.  The second game, played on Saturday night, would be in Moultrie.  Same thing would happen.  Fans, including Lowndes people (returning the favor), would attend the second game.  With this model, we have a true kickoff classic, we avoid the daytime heat, more fans would attend, both communities would promote the games creating a stronger likelihood of it continuing.  We could have vendors before the games, etc.  The next year, we swap the games.  Colquitt would play on Friday night and Lowndes on Saturday night.  Everybody wins and more importantly, both teams generate cash.

They tried a South Georgia Classic years back but they played it in Saturday afternoon heat.  I know cause I partied in Camden with the Cat Grilling Team...(Smile).  Your idea makes so much more sense (except for the part about Lowndes and Colquitt teaming up).  I honestly would support that idea.  Two very prominent games...with OOS teams...and the Lowndes County Walking Band.  We could make that work.  Shoot, we might could even get some Cat fans to tailgate....at least in Moultrie.

Maybe you should contact Kinderlou and see what Randy thinks.  I'll run it by the Packer Touchdown Club.

Rufus>>

14 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

They tried a South Georgia Classic years back but they played it in Saturday afternoon heat.  I know cause I partied in Camden with the Cat Grilling Team...(Smile).  Your idea makes so much more sense (except for the part about Lowndes and Colquitt teaming up).  I honestly would support that idea.  Two very prominent games...with OOS teams...and the Lowndes County Walking Band.  We could make that work.  Shoot, we might could even get some Cat fans to tailgate....at least in Moultrie.

Maybe you should contact Kinderlou and see what Randy thinks.  I'll run it by the Packer Touchdown Club.

Rufus>>

Could this be?  Lowndes and Colquitt working together for a common cause?  Say it ain't so.

27 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Rufus>>

If agreeable could be a competitive series by bringing in some Florida teams. Two large enough venues with Martin and the Baze. Upside would be lower costs for local and present some Florida teams a good stage to present their competitive strengths I.e Lake City, Crestview, ect. ect.

9 minutes ago, MTP28 said:

If agreeable could be a competitive series by bringing in some Florida teams. Two large enough venues with Martin and the Baze. Upside would be lower costs for local and present some Florida teams a good stage to present their competitive strengths I.e Lake City, Crestview, ect. ect.

How did the Baze get in this?

Rufus>>

• Haha 1