St.Johns of DC...how good will they be?

BobbySanchez

42 minutes ago, Kalven said:

MD secondary won't be as good as last season so their Dline will have to step up. SFA and SJB will present a more difficult challenge than SJC in my opinion.

In regards to SJC, 2 loses would still warrant a top 10 finish.

Agree about SJB but SFA and SJC are very similar in talent. SJC has played a more challenging schedule the past two years and should be more prepared for a big OOS game...plus they play MD in DC and SFA travels to California. I think SJC (if not crushed by injuries with the schedule they face) has a better chance than SFA does.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobbySanchez said:

Yes, Ricks and Green will be missed but Mater Dei is so bloated with talent it's kind of comical. I don't think they'll miss a beat.

The talent in Davies and Jackson who are replacing Ricks and Green is honestly not much of a drop off. That says a lot for how good Domani Jackson and Jaylin Davies are. Getting Nate White back this year will help also. The difference this year is they lack the ridiculous depth in the secondary of years past so they could have issues if somebody goes down.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

Last season when they went through Miami Central, Christian Brothers (went 13-1 and won their state), Hoover, and those two Georgia teams really impressed me alot.

Also, their red and gray uniforms look menacing and nice. Can they handle the fury of Mater Dei? How will they do?

Mater Dei is the favorite, but SJC has a chance. SJC is very strong on the defensive front 7. I just don’t see many teams running on them. Offensively, the WR’s are elite. WR Rakim Jarrett(LSU) can score at any time. The senior QB is committed to BYU and is a problem to plan against with his elusiveness. RB’s will be good also with 2 P-5 kids. OL and DB’s not nearly as strong as MD. 

IMO SFA has a better chance against MD because they have a better DL and a much better OL. Coaching is about equal between SJC and SFA. The only question with SFA is how will the highly touted sophomore QB perform. Everywhere else they may be more talented than MD. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WCACguy said:

Agree about SJB but SFA and SJC are very similar in talent. SJC has played a more challenging schedule the past two years and should be more prepared for a big OOS game...plus they play MD in DC and SFA travels to California. I think SJC (if not crushed by injuries with the schedule they face) has a better chance than SFA does.

How come teams in the WCAC aren't schedule to play SFA, considering how close they are?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kalven said:

How come teams in the WCAC aren't schedule to play SFA, considering how close they are?

Bad blood...for a variety of reasons. Won't be surprised if DeMatha or Good Counsel schedule SFA in the future but SJC and Gonzaga won't (for different reasons).

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kalven said:

It’s very strange. SFA is about 40 miles from the WCAC schools.

The main reason is bad blood, and the WCAC schools stick together. SJC and SFA have a horrific relationship with transfers between the two staffs. That game will probably never happen. Also the WCAC and the MIAA(SFA’s old conference) are very close in all sports. Not putting them down at all, but SFA is blatant with recruiting and it’s the main reason they are not longer members of the MIAA(Baltimore Private League) for football. 

Its going to be interesting to see what happens between DeMatha and SFA next year. McGregor came back to DeMatha, but still has very strong ties to the SFA program. I’m sure GSB knows much more about that.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Mater Dei is the favorite, but SJC has a chance. SJC is very strong on the defensive front 7. I just don’t see many teams running on them. Offensively, the WR’s are elite. WR Rakim Jarrett(LSU) can score at any time. The senior QB is committed to BYU and is a problem to plan against with his elusiveness. RB’s will be good also with 2 P-5 kids. OL and DB’s not nearly as strong as MD. 

IMO SFA has a better chance against MD because they have a better DL and a much better OL. Coaching is about equal between SJC and SFA. The only question with SFA is how will the highly touted sophomore QB perform. Everywhere else they may be more talented than MD. 

Wow that's amazing! If I'm being completely, I thought Mater Dei's team last year was less talented than the 2017 team, IMG, and SJB and they fared themselves well. Obviously, they were incredibly talented overall but I thought they were pretty young last year and return more than they lose plus the transfers they hauled in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

Yes, Ricks and Green will be missed but Mater Dei is so bloated with talent it's kind of comical. I don't think they'll miss a beat.

Young, McCoy, Harper, and Dollars got most of the offensive accolades.  However, Mike Martinez who as a tight end, had been under utilized, came up big in some critical situations last year.  The new wideouts have some big shoes to fill.  Defensively, that team should average under 10pts a contest this year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, On2whls said:

Young, McCoy, Harper, and Dollars got most of the offensive accolades.  However, Mike Martinez who as a tight end, had been under utilized, came up big in some critical situations last year.  The new wideouts have some big shoes to fill.  Defensively, that team should average under 10pts a contest this year.

The skilled guys who will be replacing them are even more talented than those listed above! But the QB is the same. That's just scary...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

Wow that's amazing! If I'm being completely, I thought Mater Dei's team last year was less talented than the 2017 team, IMG, and SJB and they fared themselves well. Obviously, they were incredibly talented overall but I thought they were pretty young last year and return more than they lose plus the transfers they hauled in.

MD will sweep Bosco this year, but I believe they will lose 1 game which will be to SJC...

I think SJC will lose to both DV and IMG And MD will Beat SFA by double digits... But SFA will find a way to beat #1 MD on their home field in DC....

These OOS schedules are getting so difficult now that no matter how good you are, playing that level week in and week out there will be a loss or 2...

MD beat IMG in a 4pt game that could have easily gone either way and they would have had 2 losses to the top 2 teams they played last year....

Major Props to SJC for their schedule, easily the toughest in the country, I will be following them and pulling for them against everyone but MD... I just think any top 5 team with that schedule is looking at 2-3 losses....

• Like 2

I have more confidence in SJC as a program than SFA.   We just haven’t gotten to see SFA vs an elite team yet.   I watched the Lee game and Lee was right with them to basically halftime.  

Don’t get me wrong they are very talented but I haven’t seen them play a team on their level yet.    

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Just now, 954gator said:

SJC still have that QB from HI? I was impressed when I saw him play MC.   More in a sense of a solid HS QB that can make things happen in clutch moments than say an elite 11 super QB, but still.   

Yes Sol Jay Maiva is a senior who recently committed to BYU...more of a playmaker than a passer but can be special at times. Expect a big year from him and the weapons around him.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, THEOC89 said:

MD will sweep Bosco this year, but I believe they will lose 1 game which will be to SJC...

I think SJC will lose to both DV and IMG And MD will Beat SFA by double digits... But SFA will find a way to beat #1 MD on their home field in DC....

These OOS schedules are getting so difficult now that no matter how good you are, playing that level week in and week out there will be a loss or 2...

MD beat IMG in a 4pt game that could have easily gone either way and they would have had 2 losses to the top 2 teams they played last year....

Major Props to SJC for their schedule, easily the toughest in the country, I will be following them and pulling for them against everyone but MD... I just think any top 5 team with that schedule is looking at 2-3 losses....

The MD-SJC game will be played at Catholic University...an ESPN game.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

The skilled guys who will be replacing them are even more talented than those listed above! But the QB is the same. That's just scary...

Are they potentially more talented, or do they have a body of work at the varsity level against the same level of competition, that demonstrates it?  After all is said and done, maybe MD will be a better team this year, but I’m a “proof is in the pudding” sort of person.

2 hours ago, BobbySanchez said:

SJC has some of the coolest uniforms I've ever seen at any level...that gunpowder steel and darthvader red. Their chrome helmets would look even more sick!;)

Helps that the founder and CEO of Under Armour, Kevin Plank, is an alum and very active supporter of SJC. I’m sure they will have some extremely nice new threads for these marquee matchups in 2019.

1 hour ago, THEOC89 said:

SJB is absolutely loaded to the gills this year. They deliberate stacked themselves with 5 OOS games and even wanted STA again. Don't forget, SJB destroyed MD last year 41-18. I think MD and SJB will be a good, good game.

37 minutes ago, BobbySanchez said:

SJB is absolutely loaded to the gills this year. They deliberate stacked themselves with 5 OOS games and even wanted STA again. Don't forget, SJB destroyed MD last year 41-18. I think MD and SJB will be a good, good game.

Wanted to play STA again but when Miami Central came calling...... yeah you know...lol. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

The talent in Davies and Jackson who are replacing Ricks and Green is honestly not much of a drop off. That says a lot for how good Domani Jackson and Jaylin Davies are. Getting Nate White back this year will help also. The difference this year is they lack the ridiculous depth in the secondary of years past so they could have issues if somebody goes down.

MD will take a small step back in the secondary but with Nate, Domani, Hunter and Jaylin things will be fine back there. MD will be really good in the front 7 next year. Pass rushers are going to get to the QB really quick...Lots off beef with the 3 down and great speed off the edges.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbySanchez said:

I hear you on this! I expect 2 good games, I just feel like MD was "Overconfident" when they played SJB because of that awesome win over IMG..... Plus MD knew they would get another crack at SJB so that regular season game was not a "Must Win".... These are all HS Kids and they can have an emotional lapse like that especially in an emotional game like Football... I also think that the game being delayed 1 day due to the Lightening they were having in So Cal affected the MD kids by delaying the game to Saturday instead of Friday so they had to ramp up again....

That being said, SJB came to play on Saturday and Boat raced them and 100% deserved the win, accolades and #1 Ranking they had after that....

I just think that the score was a Fluke and if the teams played 10 times it is possible MD would do the same to SJB 1 out of those 10 times and the other games would be decided by a TD or less.... I was just so impressed by MD's defense in the SS Title game that I believe MD would beat SJB 7 out of 10 times if they played...

• Thanks 1