Good Article In The Moultrie Disturber...

Rufus69

On Justin Rogers.

He has his head on straight.  He understands what's expected and pretty much what he needs to do.   Gotta give the guy major kudos for his efforts and results so far.  but as always...the W/L is what counts.

Perhaps one of our more computer literate people from Colquitt could attach it.

Rufus>>

https://www.moultrieobserver.com/sports/local_sports/rogers-packers-moving-forward/article_c142e42c-b3f1-11e9-a1fb-375b117a5c18.html

Rogers, Packers moving forward

• By Juston Lewis juston.lewis@gaflnews.com
  • 15 hrs ago
  •  
  • VALDOSTA –– A new chapter has begun for the Colquitt County Packers.

One of the most dominant high school football programs in the state of Georgia is looking to turn the page as they go into the new season.

The offseason saw Rush Propst fired by the Colquitt County school system after an investigation into the 11-year head coach of the Packers.

There have been back-and-forth discussions between those that support Propst and those that don’t.

Propst has submitted statements defending himself and plans to continue contesting the charges.

The Packers hired coach Justin Rogers in April and he’s spent the spring and summer acclimating to the program. Now, the Packers are looking to move forward –– even if Propst doesn’t.

Rogers took part in the recent ITG Next Media Day for local high schools. He spoke on his expectations and experience thus far.

“I was telling them earlier it feels like I’ve been drinking water out of a fire hydrant,” Rogers said. “It’s been pretty busy. Busy little spring, busy summer, but the boys have been doing phenomenal.

“They’ve worked so hard. They’ve been so open, so receptive—taking every thing in with this change. They’ve made it so easy. Also the coaches that were able to stay on staff with us have made the transition nice and smooth. Transitions are never easy. They’re hard in any kind of line of work. This one has been as smooth as a transition can be given how late it was.”

The Packers are the reigning Region 1-7A champions and state runner-ups after posting a 14-1 record last season. They’re returning senior running back Daijun Edwards and senior quarterback Jaycee Harden. According to Rogers, there will be a few new faces on defense but they’ll be very fast, run sideline to sideline and will be attacking.

The Packers will open the season ranked No. 12 in the nation by High School Football America. They’re a program that has garnered local, state and national attention. With the eyes of the nation fixed on Colquitt, Rogers isn’t buying into the noise.

“I made a commitment to me that when I decided to take this job and move the family down there that I got off of all social media and-or newspapers –– I don’t even read the local Moultrie Observer man,” Rogers said. “Not necessarily that you read into it but when things get in your mind it does create clutter. Whether you buy into it or not it’s there. It can effect your decisions. I just felt like for me personally it’s better off being able to have my own clear mind of what I think is important. I have my own core values of what I think is important and how to run a program and we want to be true to those and not let outside influence really influence your decisions whether consciously or subconsciously.”

Rogers’s coaching experience gives him an advantage coming into this situation. He posted a 45-15 record as head coach of Jones County without ever having a losing season through five years. Before that, he helped Griffin win a state championship as an assistant coach in 2013.

Now, he’s facing his biggest challenge yet, but he’s staying true to himself.

“Age comes wisdom,” Rogers said. “Luckily this is my 17th year coaching. I was able to cut my teeth for five years at Jones. I was at Griffin and there was a very good program there. I think I made some mistakes there and chased some things and did some things that aren’t necessarily my way that I probably tossed and turned more about those decisions than any thing else. So that’s helped me be true to who I am.”

A part of that challenge was getting players to buy into his leadership. Moving from a coach that is well-tenured can disrupt an entire football program. It shakes up players from the highest level senior to the first-year middle schooler who has dreams of playing on Friday nights.

That’s a reality Rogers had to face when he accepted the position and he had to do it soon.

“It’s the elephant in the room. So if you’re going to walk in and ignore the elephant in the room you’ll probably just make more problems than if you admit to what it is,” Rogers said about addressing the outside noise. “In our opening team meeting we just put it out there. We understood what we were going through—I’m a big reader. I’m an avid reader and I compared it to a good book.

“It was an unbelievable chapter in the history of Colquitt County high school. The success that they had was unprecedented and amazing. It’s a chapter that will always cherished and honored in the history of that program. That chapter’s been written and it’s over. There’s a new chapter that we’re writing and continuing in this book. And want it to be just as good and we’ve got to write that path by earning it.”

Another point that Rogers made was about who the players could count on for support. They’ll need it to overcome the adversity that is ahead.

“The people that are pulling for you are right there in Colquitt County,” Rogers said. “It ain’t a lot of people in the state of Georgia pulling for you to succeed right now. They’d like to see the thing crumble and fall down. This is where I compared it to a family. When a family member has cancer. When you have a family member—aunt or uncle—that has a grave accident or something bad. That’s not the time that the family tears apart, that’s the time that the family comes together closer than ever —even if they had some strife.”

As Rogers enters his first season with the Packers and the team moves to a new chapter, they’ll be dependent on each other.

Colquit plays its season opener against North Gwinnett at Mercedes Benz Stadium in Atlanta on Aug. 24 as apart of the Corky Kell Classic

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I'm no spokesperson for Coach Rogers, but, I did have the opportunity to talk with him last night and he is excited about the opportunity to come on here and talk about the Packers program next Wednesday, in spite of having reservations about having to type out his answers. 

He's a good guy, with a good family. His wife is working/volunteering to do things for the team while holding their 3 yr. old son's hand with one hand and carrying her 6 month old little girl in her other. 

All of the coaches are going the extra mile as well. Doing extra/volunteer things that we never saw with the last group. 

I've been impressed every time I've gotten around them all. Excited to get this new season rocking! 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm no spokesperson for Coach Rogers, but, I did have the opportunity to talk with him last night and he is excited about the opportunity to come on here and talk about the Packers prigram next Wednesday, in spite of having reservations about having to type out his answers. 

He's a good guy, with a good family. His wife is working/volunteering to do things for the team while holding their 3 yr. old son's hand with on hand and carrying her 6 month old little girl in her other. 

All of the coaches are going the extra mile as well. Doing extra/volunteer things that we never saw with the last group. 

I've been impressed every time I've gotten around them all. Excited to get this new season rocking! 

Like I said...major kudos to Justin...his staff and his family.  I say confidently...he's changing attitudes in Colquitt County.  He's a fireball.  My biggest concern is that he doesn't burn out too quickly.  It can happen in Region 1...and it can happen before you know it.

Rufus>>

5 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

Like I said...major kudos to Justin...his staff and his family.  I say confidently...he's changing attitudes in Colquitt County.  He's a fireball.  My biggest concern is that he doesn't burn out too quickly.  It can happen in Region 1...and it can happen before you know it.

Rufus>>

Same here. I'm afraid he's burning the candle from both ends right now. I suppose that the transition and all that comes with it kind of calls for him to have to do that. 

Pads today. Knocking heads. Football time is here! 

10 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

What if Rogers wets the bed in his first year at the helm? Does the Packer Community come for his head? How would that work out? 

He's not a bed wetter. At least I don't think he is. 

He also doesn't have the administration working to undermine him like we saw over the past two seasons. 

All indicators point toward him having a good to great season. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

What if Rogers wets the bed in his first year at the helm? Does the Packer Community come for his head? How would that work out? 

Well...he'll piss off somebody in the Packer community...win or lose.  Somebody won't like him.  That's just the way things are.  But if he has a bad year...no...I don't think the community as a whole will pull out the pitchforks.  I mean..hell...we gave Tim Cokely three years !!!  

But I agree with Hawg.  Justin ain't no bed wetter.  I know sometimes circumstances cause things to happen beyond people's control.  I understand that...but...I just don't see Colquitt having a trash year.  Shoot, we COULD end up in the Georgia AAAAAAA Top Ten !!!!

(Smile)

Rufus>>

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

He's not a bed wetter. At least I don't think he is. 

He also doesn't have the administration working to undermine him like we saw over the past two seasons. 

All indicators point toward him having a good to great season. 

You think he'll deliver a championship during his tenure?

28 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

I hope so. I figure he has a good shot to do so this year honestly. I want to see how we look against Columbia before I start feeling froggy about predicting stuff. 

I think we looked like we figure we should look like against Meridian over in Troy. That was with a brand new coach having minimal time to install his own offense and verbiage. If that's any inkling at all, I have a decent amount of confidence.

By the time we hit Columbia, we should be looking good imo. If we look shakey there, I'll get nervous. 

28 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

That is a tough question to answer.  Like Hawg posted sometime back...there almost has to be a "perfect storm" to win a Championship in Georgia.   Several teams have had the right stuff over the past (5) years...but came up short for various reasons.  For the record...Archer comes to mind.

I do think we'll be prepared.  If we can stay healthy...and focused....and hungry....I believe he will get the job done.  Justin knows he has to keep the pump primed at the lower levels so he's assigned people to handle that necessity.  Hopefully...they're the right people.  One thing is for certain....

It's about to get fun in Georgia...if you happen to like high school football.

And a little shout out to the Columbia Tigres.....

COLQUITT COUNTY IS COMING !!!!!!

Rufus>>

59 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

That is a tough question to answer.  Like Hawg posted sometime back...there almost has to be a "perfect storm" to win a Championship in Georgia.   Several teams have had the right stuff over the past (5) years...but came up short for various reasons.  For the record...Archer comes to mind.

I do think we'll be prepared.  If we can stay healthy...and focused....and hungry....I believe he will get the job done.  Justin knows he has to keep the pump primed at the lower levels so he's assigned people to handle that necessity.  Hopefully...they're the right people.  One thing is for certain....

It's about to get fun in Georgia...if you happen to like high school football.

And a little shout out to the Columbia Tigres.....

COLQUITT COUNTY IS COMING !!!!!!

Rufus>>

You're right about the perfect storm part. Colquitt normally turns it on come playoff time, so they should be alright. However, this isn't the same colquitt, so it might be concerning in that regard. 

42 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

You're right about the perfect storm part. Colquitt normally turns it on come playoff time, so they should be alright. However, this isn't the same colquitt, so it might be concerning in that regard. 

I think that's a valid statement.  We're NOT the same Colquitt...but I'd also say that doesn't mean we're a worse Colquitt or a better Colquitt.  We're simply a different Colquitt.

That's the reason Hawg says he wants to see how we line up against Columbia before he gets too froggy.  The Tigers should be a decent litmus for us.  I don't know how we'll play...but I hope we play well.  We have a few kids who can get the job done...when they're on.  Hawg also has mentioned some communication issues...in the O-Line area.  Those things will hafta be worked out if we are to be successful.  But it's also August and the first day of pure practice.  We basically have 23 days to smooth over any rough spots.

Personally...I think Colquitt will be just fine over the season.  Lime Sink spies have reported some solid and positive stuff from OTAs and 7 on 7s.  We may not be there yet...but we're durn sure headed the the right direction.  Packer Nation is ready for some football.

Time to let the Big Hawg eat.......

Rufus>>

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

I think that's a valid statement.  We're NOT the same Colquitt...but I'd also say that doesn't mean we're a worse Colquitt or a better Colquitt.  We're simply a different Colquitt.

That's the reason Hawg says he wants to see how we line up against Columbia before he gets too froggy.  The Tigers should be a decent litmus for us.  I don't know how we'll play...but I hope we play well.  We have a few kids who can get the job done...when they're on.  Hawg also has mentioned some communication issues...in the O-Line area.  Those things will hafta be worked out if we are to be successful.  But it's also August and the first day of pure practice.  We basically have 23 days to smooth over any rough spots.

Personally...I think Colquitt will be just fine over the season.  Lime Sink spies have reported some solid and positive stuff from OTAs and 7 on 7s.  We may not be there yet...but we're durn sure headed the the right direction.  Packer Nation is ready for some football.

Time to let the Big Hawg eat.......

Rufus>>

I second all of this. 

The communication issues are sure to have been worked out by the 16th. If we are still struggling in that area, I'm gonna be feeling pretty shakey on the drive up to the Benz to face North Gwinnett. 

To speak to some of that "different Colquitt" stuff that FootballGuy is mentioning... We are the same Colquitt. The same kids on the field minus the grads. 

The offense is practically the same. The only changing was in the verbiage and some different tempos at different times and maybe a different few wrinkles. 

I do think the team personality could be a little different because as we all know there is a different coach and staff pressing the kids for different stuff. The talent is the same though. Every season's team has a different personality though, as new team leaders arise behind the old ones graduating. 

I think it will be a lot the same. I'm pretty sure that Coach Rogers will tell you that himself if you ask him next Wed. night during the Q&A session. There wasn't much here to fix.

Obviously, as he has said, he has to be true to himself first though, so, there lies some possible differences we could see. So far, I haven't noticed a lot of difference in the team aside from organization type stuff. They look like the same offensive and defensive beasts on the field that I watched last season so far.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I second all of this. 

The communication issues are sure to have been worked out by the 16th. If we are still struggling in that area, I'm gonna be feeling pretty shakey on the drive up to the Benz to face North Gwinnett. 

To speak to some of that "different Colquitt" stuff that FootballGuy is mentioning... We are the same Colquitt. The same kids on the field minus the grads. 

The offense is practically the same. The only changing was in the verbiage and some different tempos at different times and maybe a different few wrinkles. 

I do think the team personality could be a little different because as we all know there is a different coach and staff pressing the kids for different stuff. The talent is the same though. Every season's team has a different personality though, as new team leaders arise behind the old ones graduating. 

I think it will be a lot the same. I'm pretty sure that Coach Rogers will tell you that himself if you ask him next Wed. night during the Q&A session. There wasn't much here to fix.

Obviously, as he has said, he has to be true to himself first though, so, there lies some possible differences we could see. So far, I haven't noticed a lot of difference in the team aside from organization type stuff. They look like the same offensive and defensive beasts on the field that I watched last season so far.  

Let me elaborate on this:

This is a different colquitt team in terms of leadership. You know what to expect from a Rush Propst led ball club, but under J. Rogers, we don't really know what to expect from him at this level. 

12 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Let me elaborate on this:

This is a different colquitt team in terms of leadership. You know what to expect from a Rush Propst led ball club, but under J. Rogers, we don't really know what to expect from him at this level. 

You don't know what to expect. 

I know what to expect. Coach Rogers is a fiery guy. I don't think we'll see him needing to be reprimanded for throwing clipboards and accidentally head butting a kid on the sideline though. That's not necessarily a bad thing. xD

We saw how he handled the sideline at Troy. He has a good presence. If the kids take on his fiery personality even a little, we're gonna be just what all the rest of the state doesn't want to see. 

45 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

You don't know what to expect. 

I know what to expect. Coach Rogers is a fiery guy. I don't think we'll see him needing to be reprimanded for throwing clipboards and accidentally head butting a kid on the sideline though. That's not necessarily a bad thing. xD

We saw how he handled the sideline at Troy. He has a good presence. If the kids take on his fiery personality even a little, we're gonna be just what all the rest of the state doesn't want to see. 

Okay. That's fair. But knowing what you know, do you expect for him to deliver the goods for Moultrie/CCHS/Norman Park? I ask because this is a guy who only got his team so far in 5A. Yes, he turned the JOCO program around, but he was never able to get it done like Rush. 

12 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Okay. That's fair. But knowing what you know, do you expect for him to deliver the goods for Moultrie/CCHS/Norman Park? I ask because this is a guy who only got his team so far in 5A. Yes, he turned the JOCO program around, but he was never able to get it done like Rush. 

I think he can deliver the goods. He doesn't have to turn this program around here. The track has already been laid, he just has to put his touch on it and go full steam ahead. 

Seriously. 

He came into probably one of the best situations in the state as far as talent, facilities and recent success. He only has to navigate the obvious as he stated in the article above, and, of course the pit falls of letting too much junk sneak into his head and lose focus. 

I think he is poised to tee off with what we have in our pipeline for the next few years. He has proven he can win games. He has proven that he can come in here to Colquitt in the crazy situation we had, in a few short weeks take the team to Troy and put 56 points on the board with a team he barely knew the names of the kids yet. 

I feel like he is game. I feel like he's gonna put the state on notice this very year. I really do. 

We may not be able to win a ship this season. There are a few really loaded teams out there that will have something to say about that. In the past, Rush seemed like the great equalizer getting us far when there was talent disparity. I think Justin has something to prove because of the questions like yours. I think he will prove that he is good enough too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FootballGuy said:

I don't think you're on the right track.  Rush did not win an SC in his first five years either.  He won two back to back SC's in his 6th and 7th.  Justin was only at JOCO for five years before taking the Colquitt job.  So to say he never got it done like Rush...is misleading to say the least.

Rufus>>

11 minutes ago, Rufus69 said:

I don't think you're on the right track.  Rush did not win an SC in his first five years either.  He won two back to back SC's in his 6th and 7th.  Justin was only at JOCO for five years before taking the Colquitt job.  So to say he never got it done like Rush...is misleading to say the least.

Rufus>>

We'll see how it goes for him. 

8 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Rufus>>

Was that when he was Renting 19 year olds from Alabama? Asking for somebody 

56 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Was that when he was Renting 19 year olds from Alabama? Asking for somebody 

That’s funny because on the Georgia vent the cc fans will fight you tooth and nail over the righteousness with which fcrp ran the program. 

I give a shit less, but pulling stunts like that is as dirty as the day is long. But like a cc poster said in that board, “when it’s your team doing it it’s ok. When somebody else does it it’s cheating”.

I’m not big on the “reclassify” rule. If my kid isn’t good enough at his age I’m not going to hold him back to beat up younger kids. Some do. Good for you, I guess. 

13 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

That’s funny because on the Georgia vent the cc fans will fight you tooth and nail over the righteousness with which fcrp ran the program. 

I give a shit less, but pulling stunts like that is as dirty as the day is long. But like a cc poster said in that board, “when it’s your team doing it it’s ok. When somebody else does it it’s cheating”.

I’m not big on the “reclassify” rule. If my kid isn’t good enough at his age I’m not going to hold him back to beat up younger kids. Some do. Good for you, I guess. 

I guess I'm confused.  What stunt was pulled?  Georgia age rules are specific.  If a kid isn't overage by Georgia rules...and he has eligibility left by GHSA standards...please elaborate what "stunts" were pulled when an Alabama kid moves to Colquitt County with his family so he can play football his Senior year?

These kids were vetted by the GHSA big time.  It wasn't like the deal at Marietta.  No rules were broken at all at Colquitt.  So please tell me what stunts were pulled?

Rufus>>