Week 2 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

Tier 1 - SFA, IMG, Mater Dei, St. John Bosco,

Tier 2 -   Duncanville, Northshore, STA, Katy, Lakeland, St. John's College, St. Louis (Hi), Marietta, SJP

Tier 3  -  DLS,   Mentor,  Allen, Northwestern, Hoban, DeMatha, Chandler, St. Eds, Miami Central, Gonzaga, OLGC, Colquitt

Tier 4 -  Columbus, Cen10, SJR,  East St. Louis, Lincoln Way East,  Bergen Catholic, Cathedral Catholic, Folsom, St. Xavier, Iggy, Mission Viejo

Tier 5 - Guyer, McEachern, Colerain, Bishop Gorman, Longview, Warren Central, Pickering Central, Narbonne, Buford, Lowndes, John Curtis, Dutch Fork, Mallard Creek, Centennial AZ, Lone Peak (UT), Corner Canyon (UT), Columbia

Tier 6 - C-Hill, Westlake (Tx), SPP,  Grayson, Archer, North Gwinett, JSerra, Hoover, Grace Bretheran (Ca.), West Monroe, Serra (Ca), Catholic (La), Milton, Trinity*

*Requests to add your team will be honored.  But must be Tier 6 or above to be placed on a Tier.

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

*Teams are ranked appropriately for that week in the season.  Teams can improve and regress comparatively.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Tier 1 - SFA, IMG, Mater Dei, St. John Bosco,

Tier 2 -   Duncanville, Northshore, STA, Katy, Lakeland, St. John's Catholic, St. Louis (Hi), Marietta, SJP

Tier 3  -  DLS,   Mentor,  Allen, Northwestern, Hoban, DeMatha, Chandler, St. Eds, Miami Central, Gonzaga, OLGC, Colquitt

Tier 4 -  Columbus, Cen10, SJR,  East St. Louis, Lincoln Way East,  Bergen Catholic, Cathedral Catholic, Folsom, St. Xavier, Iggy, Mission Viejo

Tier 5 - Guyer, McEachern, Colerain, Bishop Gorman, Longview, Warren Central, Pickering Central, Narbonne, Buford, Lowndes, John Curtis, Dutch Fork, Mallard Creek, Centennial AZ, Lone Peak (UT), Corner Canyon (UT)

Tier 6 - C-Hill, Westlake (Tx), SPP,  Grayson, Archer, North Gwinett,  Columbia, JSerra, Hoover, Grace Bretheran (Ca.), West Monroe, Serra (Ca), Catholic (La), Milton, Trinity*

*Requests to add your team will be honored.  But must be Tier 6 or above to be placed on a Tier.

Below is an explanation of the Methodolgy used to place the teams on various Tiers.  The Tier concept recognizes that W/L records are a function of quality of opponent, and as such, RELEVANCY of opponent MUST be factored in.  The Tiers recognizes that in some cases, a 10-0 team (ranked in Top 100 by some outlets) could get blown off the field by a 5-5 (unranked) team that played a tougher schedule.  This is why the Tiers was created.

*Not attempting to rank every team, only the ones we discuss on this site.

*Teams are ranked appropriately for that week in the season.  Teams can improve and regress comparatively.

* The Tiers are fluid and subject to extreme fluctuations early in the year, leveling out as the year progresses.

*Tier placements consider a teams entire body of work, however are weighted heaviest on recent games and game weights decrease in significance in reverse order.  In other words, early road OOS losses to relevant teams can be overcome as the season progresses.

*Teams placed on the same Tier can compete with other same Tier teams and possibly win 2+ of 10. 

*Basically there is a -10 point drop between tiers.  Could vary from a TD to 3 scores depending on the styles of teams playing.  This does not necessarily mean that there is a 30 point difference between Tier 1 and Tier 3, only that the chances of a Tier 3 team beating a Tier 1 team are exponentially less than the chances of a Tier 2 Team beating a Tier 1 team.

*The Tiers will ultimately be made up of (16) teams per Tier that would form competitive playoff brackets.

*Texas teams generally have not played enough OOS games to gauge properly #crapshoot.  There must be a daisy chain OOS connection for a reference point.  Teams with no OOS daisy chain connection may not be placed on a Tier.  (Texas exempt)

*Tiers are based on exhaustive research, Multiple games watched, and good gut feelings.

*This is a crowd sourced rating. All input will be considered and adjustments will be made as appropriate

Did you ever end up watching the Columbia vs TCA game that was on YouTube?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

3 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

NS and SJR should be 3

If MNW is 3, DMC and DBP must be included somewhere  

It’s St Johns College not Catholic  

DBP is 0-2.  They didn't look any better than Servite who is not ranked either.  BUT they have the opportunity to earn their way in, just like Servite.

RE:  SJR - You may be right, but they need to play a few more games.  Currently I don't see SJR hanging with DLS, Northwester, DMC.  BUT if they can hang with SFA somewhat it would earn them a promotion

3 minutes ago, RedZone said:

I don't know why you never hear about these games from CA?....well, I do....I guess.

So a Trinity League team scheduled an OOS game vs. the #1 team in a state (on the road), and lost.  When was the last time Rummel scheduled a similar game?  La. is down this year.  I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but even Curtis is disappointing.

1 minute ago, old_e said:

Sammy, where do you place SJP and STA. After their loss to Lone Peak, the Gauchos dont deserve to be tiered until they prove it on the field with a worthy opponent.  Not by beating on inferior competition. 

SJP and STA are Tier 2

I saw Narbonne in person and they are not far behind DeMatha which I also saw in person.  The transfers are becoming eligible slowly and Narbonne is beginning to play better as a team.  They got some dudes on both sides of the ball.

I am not holding a week 0 OOS road game against them all year, especially considering the turmoil and distraction (lost head coach) that program went through during the summer.  Imagine trying to organize an OOS travel game with all those distractions.  Give them some slack

21 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

I saw Narbonne play in person.   I also saw DeMatha in person. Have you?  Their transfers are slowly becoming eligible, and they "look" like a D1 team.

Yes I watched Dm vs SJB and two Narbonne games.Dematha would beat hell outta Narbonne.Lone peak just beat Narbonne by 3 TD but their on the same tier???🤷🏽‍♂️ Put more effort into this

17 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

So a Trinity League team scheduled an OOS game vs. the #1 team in a state (on the road), and lost.  When was the last time Rummel scheduled a similar game?  La. is down this year.  I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but even Curtis is disappointing.

You keep calling Cherry Creek #1 in CO, but they are only #1 because Cedar Grove (Georgia) got Valor Christian out of their way.

Cedar Grove was also on the road... And went across the country to Colorado.

• Like 1