Week 7 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

24 minutes ago, abbatt said:

nptb17,

You absolutely crack me up.......what ridiculous statement did i make ??? teams beat other teams by means unique to those teams. You`er right ...comparing the scores doesn`t mean to much...but it does mean something.You`er comment about Bolingbrook was meant to be sarcastic....but it was a true statement about Bolingbrook even though you didin`t intend it to be.

I feel that if Sammy`s Tiers are considered legit than he has Ohio wrong......all of those teams in tier 5 should be in tier 4...He is neglecting the high level of coaching and execution by those teams.

When Independence, NC had their 102 game winning streak snapped by Elder 20-17....the INd. coach said that Elder was the best coached team that his team had ever faced.The same was said by the Lakeland FL. coach after they beat St.Ignatius 25-22. Now those games were played 7-8 years ago...but the high level of coaching in Ohio remains constant......just the quality of talent has slipped some.

I was at every single Herbstreit Classic and saw those games up close and personal.  Lakeland beat St. X and not Ignatius.  X, Ignatius, Elder, and even St. Edward are hardly ever the most talented teams in Ohio.  The talent is the same as it always is.  The Pickerington schools as well as Lakota West, Cleveland Heights,  and a few others are usually the most talented teams in Ohio.  Fairfield has the best back in SouthWest Ohio and I have them ranked second in the Greater Cincinnati area.  I promise you they no one is going to out athlete them.  

13 hours ago, abbatt said:

OdbCle,

Here is LWE`s starting OF and Def lines.......

Of...6`4..265.....6`1..290....6`3..265...6`4...270...6`2..250

Def...5`11...255...6`2..270.....6`7...245....6`2..230.

LWE may not have the big trucks on the line like Ed`s...but they play more of a speed game...they are most definitely faster and quicker than Ed`s or any top team in Ohio.. I have watched  Ed`s/Mentor....Ignatius/DeMatha....Ignatius/Rockledige ..Eldr/ St. Xavier..LWE lost to Loyola once in the play-offs ....last year in the semis....and beat Loyola in the state championship game the year before...That was the year that LA  minus 7 starters  beat Bishop Amat.

Loyola played Iggy without any scrimmages prior to the first game......They had a TD called back and surely lost another one because of bad timing between the QB and receiver. I`d like to see how the top teams in Ohio or any state would do in their first game without the benefit of pre-season scrimmages.

Loyola is quite a different team now since they played Ignatius.....They have a different QB....2 new Rb`s....2 new OF linemen and 2 new Def linemen.... and a starting LB that was injured and didn`t play against Ignatius.

It was Ignatius' first game of the year on the road as well. Also missing players. Pre-season scrimmages aren't a big to do in Ohio like other states which have full fledged preseason games. There a typically three scrimmages, only the last of which actually includes a game-like scenario where a half of football is played under real conditions. Is it better than having no scrimmages, sure. But it's nothing that teams can't do in practice on their own. Coach Lomardo for Ed's has repeatedly said they have more competitive practices and learn more about their team in practice than these scrimmages. 

I'm sure Loyola has gotten better. Most well-coached teams do. Ed's is the perfect example of that as well, breaking in several new starters on offense in that week one game with Mentor. I wasn't trying to knock Loyola or LWE. I think Illinois plays a good brand of football and is probably underrated nationally.  I just don't believe, from what I've seen, that the top teams are one a higher level than Ohio's top teams (even in a "down" year for Ohio). 

You`er right it was X......and the correct score for Elder/ IND was 41-34 .....I was thinking of Colerain`s win over Hoover which was 20-17.

I have never said that Illinois teams at the top are better than Ohio......Ohio is still the top over-all...and I always wonder if Ohio should be considered Midwest or Northeast ?

Loyola only returned one starter on Def from last year...and they are unusually small on the Def side this year. They moved a Soph. Tackle up on the Def....6`2..270 and it has helped some.

I just wish that LWE.....Homewood- Flossmoor ....would play some top Ohio teams......They would be very competitive games.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

All this circular firing squad shows is that the Ohio teams are relatively equal, or in parity with each other.  No one is disputing that.  The question is where does this group fit in Nationally?  As of last week, I could not find an argument for placing this group above Tier 5. 

So far you have not attempted to give me an argument to support a higher placement

I can respect where you're coming from as far as determining where teams fit on a national scale. It's practically impossible to do it for high school teams, and I think your tier approach is a unique way of going about it rather than an outright 1-25 ranking system. I can also understand the weight that is placed on these inter-state matchups as they are really the only thing we can see with our eyes, and the daisy-chaining is a necessary byproduct of these games. But at the same time, we can't go overboard with certain outcomes. You seem to be fixated on the Dematha-Ignatius game as a way to gauge the entire state. Is Dematha considerably better than Ignatius? I do believe so (kind of hard to argue otherwise). I also know that Ignatius is remarkably awful in these OOS contests in recent years. If I'm picking teams from Ohio to go out of state to play other power programs, Ignatius is down my list (which is strange given their pedigree within the state). If I'm ranking where teams stack up within the state, then I've got Ignatius in my top ten. The familiarity they have when playing Ed's, Mentor, and X puts them on a more level playing field. That's also the reason why I don't pile on when MD or SJB have a closer than expected game with a fellow Trinity opponent. I think that's to be expected when playing programs that know you inside and out. At the same time, it can't be said that those teams are then clearly better (or even on the same tier) as the non-California programs that MD and SJB take to the shed based on that result. 

As for Ohio, the top teams this year may very well be among the tier 5 pack this year, I honestly have no idea. I can only say that there is not that one or two (sometimes more) elite level teams in the state this year (like an '04 Colerain, '07 X, '10 Ed's, etc.) that I would put against any team in the country. However, when you admit that your basing your ranking on the Ed's-Ignatius rivalry game and then taking into account clips you've watched from games that were played weeks ago, it's hard to give your placement of these teams credibility. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 11:08 AM, HawgGoneIt said:

I'm probably doing the seafood on Saturday. I figure my Friday is full with travel and dragging my butt and big durned bell up the stands at Gilman. 

Probably stop for some South Georgia Fine Dining at Chic-Fil-A in Waycross on the way over.  Maybe a greasy spoon joint like Waffle House, Huddle House or IHOP after the game.

I know better than to wait until I get to Gilman. They were out of food on the visitor side before kickoff last time. I blame @Camcat88

Sorry I was hungry! Came straight to the game after work.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Camcat88 said:

Sorry I was hungry! Came straight to the game after work.

What's this new thing you're getting the blame for now? Did you eat all the tickets that would normally get sent over to Colquitt County for presale? 

It's being called the CamCat88GATE aka Camden shananigans of 2019. 

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

What's this new thing you're getting the blame for now? Did you eat all the tickets that would normally get sent over to Colquitt County for presale? 

It's being called the CamCat88GATE aka Camden shananigans of 2019. 

Hawg...I asked for an explanation...and what I was told....

Camden is gonna require all Colquitt fans to show a photo ID when purchasing their ticket at the gate.  That way...they can keep Rab out of Gilman.   I mean...it makes sense...(Smile).

But it is a surprise that no tickets were forwarded to Norman Park.  We probably won't have more than 500 fans show up...but hey, that's no excuse.

Rufus>>

4 hours ago, Rufus69 said:

Hawg...I asked for an explanation...and what I was told....

Camden is gonna require all Colquitt fans to show a photo ID when purchasing their ticket at the gate.  That way...they can keep Rab out of Gilman.   I mean...it makes sense...(Smile).

But it is a surprise that no tickets were forwarded to Norman Park.  We probably won't have more than 500 fans show up...but hey, that's no excuse.

Rufus>>

Being honest, I hope we bring the house, but, I'm not certain about how many will make the trip.

I was trying to understand why they didn't send over tickets like always. I thought about it, and, not really knowing Tick well enough to ask, I wonder if they're somehow returning us a favor. Like maybe we didn't send them an allotment last season or something. Idk really. 

I think it's just region 1 shenanigans and hate. 

If it was up to me, next year we wouldn't send any tickets over there and the visitor side concession stand would be closed. xD