LSU 23 Auburn 20 F

HSFBfan

5 minutes ago, concha said:

Name their notable weaknesses.

Because basically any professional analyst out there I've listened to or read calls them the most balanced team in the country. The computer analysis like ESPN Power Index and the likes of Sagarin agree.

I've lived long enough to see "best teams" and "balanced programs" get exposed. Hell, we were told by the experts just a couple weeks ago that this Wisconsin defense was an all-time great defense. Until you line up and play someone, you're only as good as speculation.

7 minutes ago, concha said:

At this time last year there was one team that was considered elite. Alabama. They had every #1 vote in the AP. How'd that work out?

There were 3 undefeated Power 5 teams. This year there are 6.

One of the three undefeateds last year at this time was ND. They came within a score of losing to:  Michigan, Vandy and Pitt and USC. they beat Ball State by 8.

LSU was ranked #4 at this time last year at 7-1. They got blanked by Bama, took 7 OTs to lose to TAMU, and beat Arkansas by a whopping 7.

Shall  go on?

Pretty sure clemson was considered an elite team last year. They had 4 DL going to the NFL. Had a heisman trophy candidate qb etc. 

Baylor is undefeated but not certainly not an elite team. Having a great year but nobody cares about them. 

Alabama clemson ohio state LSU those are the 4 teams to watch. Clemson already had a close call with UNC and has been dropping in the polls. Lsu didnt exactly look great today. 

National championship yes is shaping up to be Alabama ohio state. Which is fine bring it on 

1 minute ago, Columbiafan said:

I'm more impressed with teams that have a good offense and a good defense than a team who has a great offense and a subpar defense

LSU will not make the playoffs unless they improve on defense, Auburn lacked the offensive firepower to truly expose LSU defensive issues, on the other hand even without Tua, bama is loaded with skill players

That will be the true test for whether or not LSU is playoff material 

Sub par? It's not NC level but damn man, sub par? I'm starting to think you don't actually know football.

1 minute ago, westbankeagle said:

Sub par? It's not NC level but damn man, sub par? I'm starting to think you don't actually know football.

I've seen much better LSU defenses in past years than this one

Not to mention giving up 38 to bottom feeder vandy

This LSU defense is not good and if Mac Jones can somehow not go deer in headlights then I see bama scoring at will next Saturday

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

I've lived long enough to see "best teams" and "balanced programs" get exposed. Hell, we were told by the experts just a couple weeks ago that this Wisconsin defense was an all-time great defense. Until you line up and play someone, you're only as good as speculation.

Well, we know that tOSU has crushed two Top 20 teams by a combined 80-7.

We know that they have been beating the Vegas lines every week. Crushing them, in fact.

Ohio State finished last season ranked #5.  By any meaningful metric they are better than last year, especially on defense.

Can you name a single respected coach or analyst who doesn't think this Ohio State team isn't a) really, really good and, b) probably the most balanced team right now?

Anyone "could" get exposed.  What we know is that at this point their closest margin of victory is 24 points and they have the biggest average margin of victory in the country.

1 minute ago, concha said:

Well, we know that tOSU has crushed two Top 20 teams by a combined 80-7.

We know that they have been beating the Vegas lines every week. Crushing them, in fact.

Ohio State finished last season ranked #5.  By any meaningful metric they are better than last year, especially on defense.

Can you name a single respected coach or analyst who doesn't think this Ohio State team isn't a) really, reaaly good and, b) probably the most balanced team right now?

Anyone "could" get exposed.  What we know is that at this point their closest margin of victory is 24 points and they have the biggest average margin of victory in the country.

But you didn't say anything to contradict my point. Every year teams are "balanced" etc., have awesome margins of victory, everything, but none of that matters unless you beat one of the real top teams.  Wisconsin and Cincy aren't in the same stratosphere as the real top teams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

But you didn't say anything to contradict my point. Every year teams are "balanced" etc., have awesome margins of victory, everything, but none of that matters unless you beat one of the real top teams.  Wisconsin and Cincy aren't in the same stratosphere as the real top teams.

Who are the real top teams so far this year?

LSU maybe? 

Bama has beaten nobody.

Clemson ditto and has come close to losing...

So who do you have to beat given that crushing - not just beating - every opponent and having wins over two top 25 teams by a combined 80-7 appears to mean nothing?

17 minutes ago, concha said:

Who are the real top teams so far this year?

LSU maybe? 

Bama has beaten nobody.

Clemson ditto and has come close to losing...

So who do you have to beat given that crushing - not just beating - every opponent and having wins over two top 25 teams by a combined 80-7 appears to mean nothing?

You have to beat a top 3-4 team. Heck, sometimes even those teams aren't on the same level. 

7 minutes ago, westbankeagle said:

You have to beat a top 3-4 team. Heck, sometimes even those teams aren't on the same level. 

They just crushed a recent #6 team, so not far off.

And of the top 3-4 teams, nobody has a win over another.

It sounds like based on your logic we won't know until the CFP playoffs.

Its pretty clear Ohio St. & Clemson have the cleanest paths to the playoffs. Penn St. could provide some resistance for OSU but I doubt it. 

Alabama with Tua is the best team this season. Seems like this year, the teams at the top are better than normal. Clemson, OSU, & LSU are rolling. 

I hope my Dawgs can clinch the East beating Florida next Saturday.

32 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Its pretty clear Ohio St. & Clemson have the cleanest paths to the playoffs. Penn St. could provide some resistance for OSU but I doubt it. 

Alabama with Tua is the best team this season. Seems like this year, the teams at the top are better than normal. Clemson, OSU, & LSU are rolling. 

I hope my Dawgs can clinch the East beating Florida next Saturday.

No they’re not.  This is typical homer speak.  Not 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ATLien12x said:

Alabama defense:

Allowing 308 yards per game 

15.3 ppg (10th in the nation)

———————————

Auburn’s Steel Curtain:

Allowing 343 yards per game 

17.9 ppg

Not sure what this is supposed to be telling us given that Alabama has played a pathetic schedule and Auburn easily one of the toughest in the country so far (#2 per Sagarin).