Week 9 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

4 hours ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

Why did STA bolt for DLS and why was this the right move? Was it purely business?
Guru-dude is of the opinion DLS/STA contract agreed to Oct-18.

...kinda hard not to think STA took a lay-up vs. playing the tougher opponent in MD.

Electing to travel 2500 miles to play De La Salle at De La Salle is taking a layup? How fucking stupid...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

DLS loss to STA this year does sting a bit though...Cen10 woulda been a better matchup. Can’t really make the ‘too early in the year’ argument, bc DLS is DLS (part of reason Folsom basically got blanked last 2yrs).

That said, any idea why STA chose DLS and not MD for its matchup? They clearly both had late pre-season Week-0 openings...

Hope this question doesn’t shatter ‘The Guru’s’ stoic confidence and false sense of pride for STA this year. 

Dls losing to STA doesn’t sting at all — they very well could have (maybe even should have) won the game and at game time dls had 2 kids with a D1 offer (best was William and Mary) and sta had 20 kids with Sec offers — I left that game feeling pretty good about DLS — said at the time this is most physical team since 2015 

disagree on CC being better match — not sure your logic — CC was losing to SDCC about the same time dls was playing STA (doesn’t inspire confidence vs sta)

dls improves because they’re DLs — they rely more on precision timing/ execution than pure athleticism vs other elite teams and almost always are much better at end of year than beginning — outside of 6 losses in 13 SBGs, DLS hasn’t lost after 10/7 in 28 years, but they often struggle early including vs non elite teams (I could go year by year but trust me on the consistency of the improvement).  Even after the STA loss I was feeling like DLS was going to have a fair opportunity to win SBG this year, relying on that improvement.  Problem is I think this MD team better than JT’s GOAT team and odds seem pretty long now 

cant speak for sta and don’t live near DLS anymore — I have read on here some scuttlebutt about them choosing DLS over SJB but don’t remember md being mentioned 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Pops said:

This sounds like a NJ guy saying that we should rank teams based on OOS record 

Or a GA guy coming out with rankings based on who has most recruits per capita 

or a TX guy saying we rank by attendance 

I thought the tiers were about ID’img the beat teams by strata..... period

use ALL available criteria 

discounting SFA, STA, and DLS for soft schedule is NJ discounting CA teams for not playing 5 OOS games like they sometimes do — those 3 in particular have nothing to apologize for with their schedules 

PS not debating dls’s placement — we agree they’re fringe tier 2/3 — just taking exception to some of your expressed logic 

You are correct.  The Tiers are about identifying the best teams by strata....period.

STA and Duncanville were not moved down due to their schedule.  They were moved down because the data showed a clear gap between the Top three and the others.  Multiple "crowd sourced" opinions were flooding in on this.

However they could have stayed in Tier 1 had their schedule been better and they dominated multiple Tier 2 teams, or played one of the Top 3 teams within 10 points or so.  But we don't have enough relevant data to keep them in Tier 1 compared to the data we have on the other 3 teams. 

STA and Duncanville can both get back to Tier 1 as their playoffs get to the semi finals and finals, if they keep winning.  We just need more relevant game info.   Same goes for Lakeland, Buford,  Colquitt, Lowndes, the devil, etc. as having opportunities to move up in The Tiers

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You are correct.  The Tiers are about identifying the best teams by strata....period.

STA and Duncanville were not moved down due to their schedule.  They were moved down because the data showed a clear gap between the Top three and the others.  Multiple "crowd sourced" opinions were flooding in on this.

However they could have stayed in Tier 1 had their schedule been better and they dominated multiple Tier 2 teams, or played one of the Top 3 teams within 10 points or so.  But we don't have enough relevant data to keep them in Tier 1 compared to the data we have on the other 3 teams. 

STA and Duncanville can both get back to Tier 1 as their playoffs get to the semi finals and finals, if they keep winning.  We just need more relevant game info.   Same goes for Lakeland, Buford,  Colquitt, Lowndes, the devil, etc. as having opportunities to move up in The Tiers

So how the hell did Longview get to tier 2?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2019 at 4:57 PM, Cat_Scratch said:

Well they did play Columbia... I thought that was in Florida.

BUT... You are right... I don't see any games where Colquitt come to Florida to play a regular season game.

I thought that when they had the Burger King playoffs they came but I don't see that listed anywhere either. 

Plant, Madison County etc... went to Georgia to play.

Florida almost always travels to play the elite OOS games. 

Yeah they came to lake city for that game

I guess this just proves Los is a complete and utter moron who knows nothing about FL and should be banished from ever commenting on any FL team ever again as he is clearly not even smart enough to read a schedule or read the multi page thread on that game when it happened LMAO

On 10/28/2019 at 5:06 PM, Rufus69 said:

LOL...you are correct.  I'm not sure if you know HOW that game worked out.  We had a preseason game...and then we didn't.  The same thing happened to Columbia with IMG.  Both of us sitting there with no opponent.  I think GSB may have gotten involved.  All I know is Tick (the Colquitt AD) said we're going to Lake City !!!!

Packer Nation liked that idea.

It may lead to a home and home regular season deal.

Rufus>>

Been working on that currently and in fact i won't go into specifics but Colquitt may not be only GA team we play in 2020

Ik Columbia reached out to 2 south GA schools last week for 2020 games and I encouraged the idea to our Athletic Director of trying to move Colquitt to regular season but we will see where it goes

On 10/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, The Guru said:

I better pray that they don't lose to Lakeland again or else what?

They'll come back next year and still be the highest profile program in the country?

Oh no. The horror. What ever will I do then?

Your coach will be on hot seat when they lose to Lakeland

Anyone else in 7a beats them he will be fired 

3 minutes ago, Adam_MD_Alum said:

He? I’m new to these forums and even I know you’re a troll and mums the word when facts hit you in the face. Every forum has one, think maybe I’m the only one who just hasn’t blocked you.

Don't say that I didn't warn you.

If you choose that clowns' word over mine then you're making a big mistake.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, The Guru said:

Don't say that I didn't warn you.

If you choose that clowns' word over mine then you're making a big mistake.

What on Earth are you going to warn him about? The fact that you pipe down when you get slapped in the face with facts? 
You’re the biggest clown on this site! Lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

It appears he already knows how much of a bumbling idiot you are and not to listen to you. 

If he trusts GardenStateBaller over me then he's the bumbling idiot.

Tell me more about Bryant dominating Arkansas. Or that time that Pulaski Academy played Euless Trinity. Or Imhotep Charter being a private school. Or Oakland being in the top 30.

🤡

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, The Guru said:

If he trusts GardenStateBaller over me then he's the bumbling idiot.

Tell me more about Bryant dominating Arkansas. Or that time that Pulaski Academy played Euless Trinity. Or Imhotep Charter being a private school. Or Oakland being in the top 30.

🤡

Bryant and Oakland are legit, so nothing wrong there. Saying Pulaski instead of Shiloh and confusing Imhotep as a private were small mistakes. Those don’t even come close to you saying Montana is as good as Tennessee, though. What a joke you are! 

8 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Apparently because you say so.

You never have any substance to back up your claims. You just expect the claim itself to be enough.

"Bryant and Oakland are legit!"

Why?

"Because they're legit!"

The teams they’ve both played and the way they have destroyed all of them are the reasons they are both ranked so high. I shouldn’t have to say that to justify me ranking them the way I do, especially to your dumbass.