NCAA "CAVED IN"

Columbiafan

When they say get paid for their likeness that just means they can use their own images and copyrighted logos and names right? They can’t use the college logo I assume without having to pay them. 

So this will benefit like 3 players. Lol. The 3 most popular players. Tough for the backup punter on Eastern Michigan to capitalize 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

When they say get paid for their likeness that just means they can use their own images and copyrighted logos and names right? They can’t use the college logo I assume without having to pay them. 

So this will benefit like 3 players. Lol. The 3 most popular players. Tough for the backup punter on Eastern Michigan to capitalize 😂

It means for example that if they bring back NCAA football they can profit off their name being used in the game as well as if a company wants to endorse a athlete (like a car dealership) the player can be paid by that dealership

The schools aren't having to pay them a dime for this rule change, basically just lets the player Make money off themselves if they can

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

It means that certain schools with enterprising boosters or alumni that are willing, can possibly beforehand explain to recruits that they will set up funds to buy signed pictures of the recruits' face for the duration of their schooling for... 

$younametheprice.00

...in order to get these recruits to specific schools. 

Might as well open it for them to get paid for whatever, and forget about academic anything. It will virtually impossible to close the door on booster influence now. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It means that certain schools with enterprising boosters or alumni that are willing, can possibly beforehand explain to recruits that they will set up funds to buy signed pictures of the recruits' face for the duration of their schooling for... 

$younametheprice.00

Might as well open it for them to get paid for whatever, and forget about academic anything. It will virtually impossible to close the door on booster influence now. 

Lol

like it’s ever been closed or even attempted to be closed.Certainly not in the SEC

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

$younametheprice.00

3 hours ago, Ararar said:

Lol

like it’s ever been closed or even attempted to be closed.Certainly not in the SEC

Sad, the PAC-12 is broke, huh?

Is that what you mean?

BGW

So... this is a slippery slope that might be the beginning of the end of College football as we all know it.

So if they get to use their likeness on NCAA Football video games.   Do some players get more money than others?

Do players need to get Agents now to represent them for all the extra little pays they might get?   

This isn't the beginning and the end to this "Paid for Likeness."     It's just the beginning.

I've been conflicted on this topic since it first came back into the spotlight with the Cali legislation. 

The NCAA clearly makes a lot of money, way above and beyond what the student athlete's educations are worth. 

At the same time, I can't see how this thing will have enforceable rules and not become a legal(ish) way for boosters to funnel money to athletes in trade for coming to certain schools. It seems like it will be a case of the rich get richer at this early juncture in time, at least to me. In the absence of having any rules set forth yet of course. 

Like I said before, it seems like you may as well go ahead and just remove the academic part and just make them semi-pro athletes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

I've been conflicted on this topic since it first came back into the spotlight with the Cali legislation. 

The NCAA clearly makes a lot of money, way above and beyond what the student athlete's educations are worth. 

At the same time, I can't see how this thing will have enforceable rules and not become a legal(ish) way for boosters to funnel money to athletes in trade for coming to certain schools. It seems like it will be a case of the rich get richer at this early juncture in time, at least to me. In the absence of having any rules set forth yet of course. 

L

ike I said before, it seems like you may as well go ahead and just remove the academic part and just make them semi-pro athletes.

That's where this is all going...  My prediction is in about 10 years we're going to see basically a NFL Minor League system much like MLB.

NCAA College football is going to slowly die on the vine.