Week 11 Tiers

Sammyswordsman

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

OMG, Calpreps!!! PF, the best poll in America, has them #14. DV was prematurely downgraded and you know it!! Fess up and make amends already. 

Chances of DV winning 6a is less than 25%.  Not Tier 1 material at this point.  The SJC win is not as impressive as we thought it would be.   No one points to SJC as Mater Dei's signature win.  In fact SJC is not even in the Top 3 of MD wins.

May'be if they get to the finals with an impressive semi final win, they can get promoted.

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

You’re the one that claims that MOV in rivalry games doesn’t factor into the Tiers. Practice what you preach!! #27-26

What does that have to do with anything.  I don't differentiate between a "rivalry" game and any other game.

What does #27-26 have anything to do with this convo?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

Chances of DV winning 6a is less than 25%.  Not Tier 1 material at this point.  The SJC win is not as impressive as we thought it would be.   No one points to SJC as Mater Dei's signature win.  In fact SJC is not even in the Top 3 of MD wins.

May'be if they get to the finals with an impressive semi final win, they can get promoted.

Sammy, just do everyone a favor. Stop beating around the bush and remove Texas teams from your Tiers. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SeaShells21 said:

Sammy, just do everyone a favor. Stop beating around the bush and remove Texas teams from your Tiers. 

There are more Texas teams in Tier 1-3 than any other state.

Texas is just being babies because DV is not Tier 1.  This was 100% in control of DV which (as 6a runner up) should have scheduled a second Marquee game, (OOS on the road).

The Tiers gives no passes to teams that (would beat all the teams they never play, but could have scheduled)

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

SJB should’ve been downgraded after the Servite game. You didn’t act appropriately because it was a “rivalry” game. Now your penalizing the WCAC teams for close games within their conference. You can’t have both and maintain credibility. 

You would be correct if SJB had no other relevant games to point to.  (such as DV has no other relevant games yet)

Because SJB already rolled, DeMatha, OLGC, Miliani, DBP, prior to that game, we were able to treat the Servite game as an outlier,

5 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

There are more Texas teams in Tier 1-3 than any other state.

Texas is just being babies because DV is not Tier 1.  This was 100% in control of DV which (as 6a runner up) should have scheduled a second Marquee game, (OOS on the road).

The Tiers gives no passes to teams that (would beat all the teams they never play, but could have scheduled)

So, why again is St John Bosco Tier 1?

1 minute ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Total bullshit. You know the legit reasons TX can’t travel. DV has the second best OOS win of the season after MD (SFA). 

I don't care why Texas can't travel.  They can do what they want.  Just can't expect to get the "benefit of the doubt" that they would beat Tier 1 teams, or belong in Tier 1 until they actually accomplish Tier 1 level wins.

2 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

LOL. DeMatha finished 3rd in the WCAC, GC finished 4th, DBP finished 3rd in the BNU, and to hell with any team from Hawaii not called SL. DV has the second best OOS win this season after MD (SFA). 

You are being disingenuous. All the WCAC games were decided by 7 points or less.  All those teams are pretty even. 

How do you explain that the #4 WCAC team beat #2.

DBP beat (Top 20 at the time) SJR which beat (Top 20 at the time) SPP.  That is a good win for SJB

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

Against two teams. Servite and JS would get rolled by DeMatha and GC. 

Based on your recent pick em performance, I would advise sticking to your day job. JSerra/GC would be a coin flip. Servite beats DeMatha.

Again, you know your argument is tenuous when the on the field is 0-3 and even your hypothetical is .500 at best. 😂

3 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

Based on your recent pick em performance, I would advise sticking to your day job. JSerra/GC would be a coin flip. Servite beats DeMatha.

Again, you know your argument is tenuous when the on the field is 0-3 and even your hypothetical is .500 at best. 😂

Servite vs DM is close. Straight up DeMatha is the better team, but some of the coaching decisions this season make it this way. GC would beat JSerra similar to SJR. 

23 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

@hardhit1 @zulu1128 @OdbCle Would each of you bet $100 per game on the above? 

A reminder that DeMatha (third place in WCAC) shutout Iggy 42-0 on 9/21. 

I'd give Mentor a good shot at beating all three of those teams if the game was played in Ohio with those three making a road trip. On the flipside, Mentor has no history of going on the road OOS and I believe would get beat by all those teams. The Dematha/Iggy game played weeks ago is being given too much weight by some.  As we have stated, Ignatius is an awful road team in these marquee OOS matchups. Not sure why, but they are. That game got away from them quickly, and there was no recovering (especially not with their starting QB knocked out). Ed's and Mentor play Ignatius closely for the same reasons the WCAC and BNU teams generally play each other very closely, they are rivalry games and the coaching staffs know each other inside and out. If we want to daisy chain, Dematha only beat a DC public school in Friendship Collegiate 17-0.  That FC team played National Christian Academy to an 8-3 win. Ed's steamrolled NCA 36-14. Should we try an make a definitive statement about Dematha or Eds based on these games....no. 

As for your statement about Mentor only beating a Canadian team by 13, that game was called in the first half because of weather. Mentor could have named their score that game. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

To your point, The WCAC is pretty vetted at this point.  Ohio not so much.

The Tiers punished St. Eds all year for the Iggy game, but Ed's by all accounts has started playing much better.

After watching Dematha and OLGC in person early in the year, I was very high on both those teams, and The Tiers reflected their 2019 perceived potential.

Both DeMatha and OLGC have not lived up to subsequent expectations.  SJC was ripe for a loss in league, but none of the WCAC teams that were highly regareded, were able to deliver the blow to SJC.  In fact several had SJC on the ropes, and then choked in the 4th qtr.  DeMatha should have beat Gonzaga too.  I am most disappointed in De Matha this year.  Thought they did not play to their full potential.  Their coaches also chose some poor play calling vs SJC in the red zone.

I would put $ behind Mentor over DeMatha, OLGC, Gonzaga next week.

Ohio playoffs will give Mentor and Ed some good vetting in the coming weeks, similar to what the WCAC has just gone through in league.  We will see if Mentor and Ed can live up to the expectations.

The WCAC is vetted to what point? Maybe for the MNC discussion? They lost a handful of games to top 5 teams in the country. They beat themselves up in league. What does that have to do with Mentor and Ed’s barely beating Iggy and DeMatha putting a mercy rule on Iggy in the first half?

Bottom line is OH’s top teams are being awarded for playing teams from Canada and barely slipping past mediocre in state comp.

The WCAC teams are being handcuffed for losing to MNC contenders several time zones away then beating up on each other in conference. 

I think your tiers are great overall, but you missed this one by a mile. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

The WCAC is vetted to what point? Maybe for the MNC discussion? They lost a handful of games to top 5 teams in the country. They beat themselves up in league. What does that have to do with Mentor and Ed’s barely beating Iggy and DeMatha putting a mercy rule on Iggy in the first half?

Bottom line is OH’s top teams are being awarded for playing teams from Canada and barely slipping past mediocre in state comp.

The WCAC teams are being handcuffed for losing to MNC contenders several time zones away then beating up on each other in conference. 

I think your tiers are great overall, but you missed this one by a mile. 

I appreciate what you are saying and am sensitive to the point about Mentor and Eds being rewarded for playing cup cakes.  The Tiers entire reason for existence is to NOT reward teams for playing cupcakes.

For 10 weeks The Tiers have given the WCAC teams a bump in the Tier placements for their tough schedule, even though they lost games.  For 10 weeks The Tiers have punished Mentor and Ed's for the Iggy game, and the non OOS vetting.

Week 11 with Gonzaga choking against SJC was the final straw where The Tiers could no longer continue to reward the WCAC, when NONE of the teams in the conference has proven to be dominant in their area, that which Mentor and Ed's have been trending towards in Ohio.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OdbCle said:

I'd give Mentor a good shot at beating all three of those teams if the game was played in Ohio with those three making a road trip. On the flipside, Mentor has no history of going on the road OOS and I believe would get beat by all those teams. The Dematha/Iggy game played weeks ago is being given too much weight by some.  As we have stated, Ignatius is an awful road team in these marquee OOS matchups. Not sure why, but they are. That game got away from them quickly, and there was no recovering (especially not with their starting QB knocked out). Ed's and Mentor play Ignatius closely for the same reasons the WCAC and BNU teams generally play each other very closely, they are rivalry games and the coaching staffs know each other inside and out. If we want to daisy chain, Dematha only beat a DC public school in Friendship Collegiate 17-0.  That FC team played National Christian Academy to an 8-3 win. Ed's steamrolled NCA 36-14. Should we try an make a definitive statement about Dematha or Eds based on these games....no. 

As for your statement about Mentor only beating a Canadian team by 13, that game was called in the first half because of weather. Mentor could have named their score that game. 

Your DeMatha/Friendship Collegiate/NCA/St. Ed’s daisy chain is too far fetched. We’re talking about a common opponent. The debate is what happened when each team in question played the common opponent(Iggy).

I agree with the in-league close game point, but the running clock DM put on Iggy in the first half is just too hard to shy away from here. 

• Like 1