Lakeland 10, Armwood 20 -start 4th

Nolebull813

Lakeland abandoned the run in favor of a mediocre passing game. Bowman and #21 barely touched the ball.  Their D played well enough, really only giving up 17. They couldn't finish drives and again had trouble with penalties. Armwood had their share of penalties as well. Shocking to see a Castle coached team look this flat in round 3.

The pick six really changed this game. Armwood has an excellent defense and a very high quality secondary. They also tackle pretty well in space and teams don't get a lot of yac on them. Outside of the QB making some fantastic plays, their O didn't do much either. It was consistently inconsistent. A few huge plays in the passing game, but that was the difference in the game.

Both teams had a couple of really nice KO returns.

By the way I had to leave over an hour early from my house in South Tampa to get to this game and barely make kickoff. Almost 40 minutes of that was spent less than 4 blocks from Armwood. Horrible job controlling the traffic in and out of the stadium. There were no cops to direct traffic at any intersections East of the school. Chaos.

I don't know if Edgewater will travel nearly as deep as Lakeland, but if they do,  leave very, very early.

3 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

You serious or you're bullshitting.

What exactly happened to the 'Naughts?

Were you holding out this year?

BGW

You (or I) can find where I said this here through the search feature. I also predicted Armwood to win here a few days ago.

After I said it, Lakeland received an unprecedented number of transfers which changed the way we viewed them.

Four of the lineman who were present for team picture day in August didn't play last night. Three of those (including the 6th man on last year's OL) didn't end up on the team roster and never played a down. The fourth was injured in practice prior to the playoffs and never played in the postseason.

Ultimately, though, what happened was an outstanding Armwood team beat them. Still a really good team for Lakeland. Just not one that was going to win a road game over an Armwood team that is very familiar with Lakeland and is this good.

Why does every game have to be categorized as a team losing/choking/sucking, rather than being about another team being excellent and doing a great job? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 181pl said:

Lakeland abandoned the run in favor of a mediocre passing game. Bowman and #21 barely touched the ball.  Their D played well enough, really only giving up 17. They couldn't finish drives and again had trouble with penalties. Armwood had their share of penalties as well. Shocking to see a Castle coached team look this flat in round 3.

The pick six really changed this game. Armwood has an excellent defense and a very high quality secondary. They also tackle pretty well in space and teams don't get a lot of yac on them. Outside of the QB making some fantastic plays, their O didn't do much either. It was consistently inconsistent. A few huge plays in the passing game, but that was the difference in the game.

This is the first time I can remember Castle doing this in a very long time. I'm not even sure he did it in the 2008 debacle with STA. (I'll never know, as I can't stomach to watch that again).

The most frustrating this was the positioning of Bowman as an upback on all of those passing downs. At least have him there next to the QB to make the defense aware he may get the ball. He was by far their best shot to score anyway. He could break a big play out of nothing at any time. His TD run in the 2nd quarter was literally all him. He could have gotten another.

As you said, the pick six changed everything. AWFUL looking throw by Garnett. And I think being down 10 changed the way Castle called plays in the 4th quarter.

Castle generally called a poor game IMO. Yes, much credit to Armwood's defense. They are responsible for making things so difficult for Lakeland. But, we never (I don't think, hard to say with NFHS feed cutting out) saw the jumbo formation with the QB in a shallow gun they've used this year. I don't think anyone has stopped that look, where they often run a dive with Bowman, all year. Only saw the under center power I once, when Armwood stuffed their most predictable play out of that.

Take away the awful pick six, and if one of Dook Graham's returns doesn't get tripped up at midfield, and Lakeland maybe wins. Regardless, no problems in saying the better team won. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sammyswordsman said:

You guys have to admit that The Tiers got Lakeland correct and you over sold them based on last. years STA game 

You have to admit we don't actually give a shit about your tiers. And losing a game at Armwood tells us absolutely nothing about how a Servite or Bumfuck, Tennesse or any other team compares to Lakeland.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, badrouter said:

Why does every game have to be categorized as a team losing/choking/sucking, rather than being about another team being excellent and doing a great job? 

I don't know, guess I was envisioning a better showing.

Polk county bias I guess, little surprised but based on what you shared... makes sense.

Thanks Man,

BGW

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 181pl said:

Armwood is an excellent football team. They are not an offensive juggernaut. STAs D is probably almost as good as Armwoods, but they have better offensive concepts. If they get past Edgewater, they'll probably get shutout in the championship game again by STAs defense.

While I think Armwood is better than Edgewater, I have a hunch this is a dangerous "trap" game for the Wood. Wouldn't be that surprised to see Edgewater pull it out. And I don't think Armwood's offense looks great for STA. STA has had a few games where their offense struggled substantially, but their defense was so dominant and scored points off turnovers and short fields, that they still won decisively. Armwood is going to need a conservative game plan and to protect the football vs. STA to have a chance. I do think their D can stop the STA O. But, a repeat outcome of last year's MNW game seems more than possible for Armwood should they get past Edgewater.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

I don't know, guess I was envisioning a better showing.

Polk county bias I guess, little surprised but based on what you shared... makes sense.

Thanks Man,

BGW

I didn't mention prior to the game just how familiar Armwood is with Lakeland, despite not playing for ~20 years. The teams have had lots of 7v7 summer scrimmages over the years; Armwood's QB is from Lakeland and grew up with many of Lakeland's players; Armwood head coach lives in the same area of south Lakeland that Bill Castle lives in, etc. Armwood wanted this one BAD. And they got it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 181pl said:

It's crazy that Hillsborough still has five teams alive. Seffner in 2A, Jesuit in 5A, Gaither in 6A, Armwood in 7A, and Steinbrenner in 8A.

32 teams left. County breakdown 

5 - Hillsborough 

5- Dade

3- Broward 

3- Orange 

2- Duval

2 - Pinellas 

2- Polk 

1- Leon

1- Escambia 

1- Wakulla 

1- Brevard

1- Manatee

1- Sarasota 

1- Madison 

1- Palm Beach

1- Okaloosa 

1- Calhoun 

16 hours ago, 181pl said:

MD would beat them by no less than 2 scores.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

He's got a point

If you didn't even have Armwood in any tier you still missed in that matchup

Now Armwood is more than justified to be ranked in tiers for this week

You Fla guys never talk about Armwood.  Not one thread.  That’s why they weren’t in The Tiers.  Not because they weren’t good.

I will put them in this week per your request 

• Like 2