What if there isn't a "national champion" this year?

badrouter

44 minutes ago, FootballGuy said:

Pertaining to the public schools, let's take a look at Duncanville and Lowndes. If both teams run the table, who'd have a better argument for the MNC? Compare the regular season and playoff run for both teams.... Who would y'all give the upper hand to? Both are these teams are great by the way. 

Would be a tough call. 

The OOS part depends on how Northwestern finishes for Lowndes. Duncanville is one of SJC's, who is the Maryland Private League runner up, 5 losses. 

Duncanville's regular season may be slightly easier than  that of Lowndes was, but, they will benefit from an extra game over Lowndes unless Lowndes goes to the GEICO. Bowl series or answers that loon Biff Poggi on twitter or something.

The pollsters probably would lean Texas because they are considered the top state and their top champ would then kinda get a default type benefit of a doubt over the 3rd or 4th in the pecking order state's top champ. 

I don't really see Lowndes travelling to Vegas, so, answering Pudgy Poggi is probably the best way to even the game count.

The private achool biased polls will not care about the GEICO most likely. If I remember some of them announced their MNC before the GEICO even happened last year. 

Best bet for Lowndes and SFA both is a game between those two teams after the championship game in Georgia. That game could  put either team over the Texas champ.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

Unless they have a national tournament with at least 32 teams the crowned champion is just an opinion poll winner. Most years, unless the teams played, 5 to 7 teams have a legit case for the Natty. 

2 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

A little overkill.

8 teams is probably  sufficient. 16 would extend the season too long...… 8 means 3 extra games as is to the two finalists 

I know that 32 is not a realistic number but I think you have to go that high or more to get a good cross section of the country to make it fair. If you only go 8 some states would say they deserve 4 to 5 spots by themselves like Frog in Texas.

44 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

I know that 32 is not a realistic number but I think you have to go that high or more to get a good cross section of the country to make it fair. If you only go 8 some states would say they deserve 4 to 5 spots by themselves like Frog in Texas.

On Avg it would look like this:

2 from california

2 from texas

1 florida 

1 Georgia 

one out of st louis, bishop Gorman, or top AZ team 

one out of northeast DC area, NJ, Ohio, or if SJP from PA is exceptionally loaded and beat one of top teams in that area 

18 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

On Avg it would look like this:

2 from california

2 from texas

1 florida 

1 Georgia 

one out of st louis, bishop Gorman, or top AZ team 

one out of northeast DC area, NJ, Ohio, or if SJP from PA is exceptionally loaded and beat one of top teams in that area 

To dismiss 43 other states out of hand is a little shortsighted. I’ve personally have seen teams from Washington, Oregon, TN and Utah that can play with and even beat (if they don’t take them seriously) the top teams from power states. So trying to pick the top 8 teams comes down to opinion, not fact, unless they have played each other. So my opinion is that unless you have 32 teams min (I might concede 16) you won’t get a true NC.

6 hours ago, 181pl said:

MD is out. If you're not a state champ, too bad. They played a GREAT schedule and are likely the best team, but you have to "finish". They didn't last year and were still rewarded (loss and a forfeit). Won't happen twice. 

Only way MD is MNC the 5 teams below all lose. 

DV has a legit claim if they get through the Texas guantlet. They did beat a very good St. Johns, but so did 4 other teams, so that's not much of a measuring stick this year. 

Needs STA to lose and SJB to lose or close win against DLS. DV still may get MNC in some polls if they win out. 

STA has to defeat Edgewater and play one more OOS. They beat DLS, the most consistent program in the United States over the last 30 years. Geico? Maybe a bowl arranged with Lowndes involving less travel could be set up (Nolebull?).

Agree. They win against Edgewater and a Geico Series win would do it for them. 

Lowndes- See STA above.

Would need a Geico series win and SJB to lose or close game. Then maybe they'll get some votes for MNC.

St. Louis- Long shot. Hawaii? I just don't see it unless they blow out a big school state champ from a power state.

Would need a convincing Geico win and few other things to fall into place.

SJB- Would have avenged only loss and if they destroy DLS, they have a strong case. I think people want an undefeated champ, but they certainly have a strong case. Too bad they can't play FL, Texas, or GA post season.

Stomps DLS ,and DV and STA lose I think SJB will be MNC in almost all polls. 

I agree with 181pl people would want an undefeated champ. If DV and STA win out MNC will be split. STA has a convincing win at Geico that sure would help make their case to give them more votes. 

1 hour ago, Norcalnut said:

Washington, Oregon, TN and Utah that can play with and even beat (if they don’t take them seriously)

List some teams and years from those states that could beat a top 3 team in the country? 

Please don’t say any of the bingham teams from Utah either. 

To dismiss 43 other states out of hand is a little shortsighted. I’ve personally have seen teams from Washington, Oregon, TN and Utah that can play with and even beat (if they don’t take them seriously) the top teams from power states. So trying to pick the top 8 teams comes down to opinion, not fact, unless they have played each other. So my opinion is that unless you have 32 teams min (I might concede 16) you won’t get a true NC.

14 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

List some teams and years from those states that could beat a top 3 team in the country? 

If you read my previous post you would see that I don’t want to have an opinion contest, that’s futile for both of us. I’m saying that 8 teams aren’t a big enough sample size for a legit NC tournament. My opinion.

44 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

If you read my previous post you would see that I don’t want to have an opinion contest, that’s futile for both of us. I’m saying that 8 teams aren’t a big enough sample size for a legit NC tournament. My opinion.

You said, “you’ve personally seen teams from Washington, Oregon, Tennesee and Utah” .... But you can’t even list one team. 

28 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

You said, “you’ve personally seen teams from Washington, Oregon, Tennesee and Utah” .... But you can’t even list one team. 

Ok for your amusement I’ll just use TN. Brentwood Academy, Maryville, And Oakland have historically (we’ll say last 20 years) had teams that could consistently play (not necessarily win) with the big boys. And that’s my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

Ok for your amusement I’ll just use TN. Brentwood Academy, Maryville, And Oakland have historically (we’ll say last 20 years) had teams that could consistently play (not necessarily win) with the big boys. And that’s my opinion.

You’re right, those 3 have been the best Tennessee teams year in and year out this century. 
In Washington, Eastside Cath, O’Dea, and Bellevue would have to get the nods there. 
Oregon: Portland CC and Jesuit have been the most consistent there, but OR would be the weaker of those three states. 

11 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

You're kidding, right?

By big boys you mean these?

image.png.9067deb0c0fb61e5bff68886be976133.png

Because Oakland is straight garbage and Maryville isn't far behind.

• Thumbs Down 1

Just now, The Guru said:

You're kidding, right?

Guzzlin’ Guru, most years Oakland and Maryville would be top 20 in FL. Brentwood Acad, on one of their good recruiting years, would be top 10 in FL. I wouldn’t consider those rankings being given to garbage teams. Your lack of knowledge continues to amaze me! 

8 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

In Washington, Eastside Cath, O’Dea, and Bellevue would have to get the nods there. 

Bellevue, in their heyday, showed that they could be in the conversation.  Now, not so much and Eastside Catholic has been one of the beneficiaries of the sanctions.  O'Dea gets the occasional stud or two, but I don't think they have the depth to play with the big boys on a consistent basis. Skyline might be a better option, at least in recent years.

3 hours ago, Norcalnut said:

2 hours ago, Mjd33 said:

20 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

7 minutes ago, The Guru said:

You're kidding, right?

If you just came here to talk shit well then fuck off! If you would like to add some insight into this thread then do it. You can be a real douche like Block and Frog sometimes.

1 minute ago, Norcalnut said:

If you just came here to talk shit well then fuck off! If you would like to add some insight into this thread then do it. You can be a real douche like Block and Frog sometimes.

That’s the Guzzlin’ Guru’s style. All he does is berate anything and everything that is not STA. He’s a complete idiot. 

7 minutes ago, Norcalnut said:

I'm not talking shit.

I really do think you're clueless if you think those clown teams could "play with" national teams.

• Thumbs Down 1

2 minutes ago, The Guru said:

I'm not talking shit.

I really do think you're clueless if you think those clown teams could "play with" national teams.

Yes you are talking shit because that’s your m.o. 

but I’ll play along, so are you saying that in the last 20 years there hasn’t been a single team in TN that could compete with the “national teams”

2 minutes ago, The Guru said:

I'm not talking shit.

They certainly could hang with a lot of those teams on their good years. Are they going to hang with the MDs, SJBs, SFAs, or even STAs of the world? No, they won’t. Those are top 5 teams in the country on a regular basis. For you to come on here and say they are garbage teams because they can’t do that is classless and makes you a clown. 
They can certainly hang with teams outside of the top 10-15 teams in the country. That is why they consistently get top 100 rankings every year, Einstein.