What if there isn't a "national champion" this year?

badrouter

Would that be the end of the world? I think Mater Dei is the best team this year. I'm OK with the loss knocking them down from national champion status. But, I fail to see another team that is more deserving. It certainly isn't a St. John Bosco team that lost at home by two touchdowns to Mater Dei.

Simply anointing a team #1 doesn't make them worthy. Many years, there is no team deserving of being THE top team in the country. If ever there was a year, it was this year...before Saturday night.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Would that be the end of the world? I think Mater Dei is the best team this year. I'm OK with the loss knocking them down from national champion status. But, I fail to see another team that is more deserving. It certainly isn't a St. John Bosco team that lost at home by two touchdowns to Mater Dei.

Simply anointing a team #1 doesn't make them worthy. Many years, there is no team deserving of being THE top team in the country. If ever there was a year, it was this year...before Saturday night.

Unless they have a national tournament with at least 32 teams the crowned champion is just an opinion poll winner. Most years, unless the teams played, 5 to 7 teams have a legit case for the Natty. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, badrouter said:

I think St. John Bosco was the best team in 2018. I'm OK with the loss knocking them down from national champion status. But, I fail to see another team that is more deserving. It certainly isn't a Mater Dei team that lost at home by 3+ touchdowns to St. John Bosco.

Hmm, you may have a point. We may need to go back last year and strip MD of their MNCs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omaha Vol said:

If SJB struggles with DLS then DV will have a shot at leapfrogging both of the TL powers if they throttle NS. 

But that wouldn't mean Duncanville has any special claim to be THE champion. They'd just be named as such because people feel like there HAS to be someone named #1. That's dumb IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, badrouter said:

You must not be understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that it may just be that there should be no decision. Nobody has to decide anyone is THE number one team in the country.

But they will. It's inevitable. 

We see year after year all of the mental contortionism that it takes to create the exact mnc that the polls wanted to have from day one. 

xD

What makes  1 loss MD any more deserving this year than a possible undefeated Duncanville? In your opinion of course. 

Let the mental contortionism begin... begin... begin...

1723343086_giphy(1).gif.cb7620fb1e46f1633c522af4dbf5ba55.gif

Ready

Set

Goooooo!

1564963555_giphy(2).gif.2fe798bd7fdcacce4488d0fbb90291d7.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, badrouter said:

You must not be understanding what I'm saying. I'm saying that it may just be that there should be no decision. Nobody has to decide anyone is THE number one team in the country.

Of course, no one person should decide who THE best team in the country is, but some will have their own opinions (myself included). To me that’s fun, not dumb. It’s just someone’s opinion....

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Omaha Vol said:

Of course, no one person should decide who THE best team in the country is, but some will have their own opinions (myself included). To me that’s fun, not dumb. It’s just someone’s opinion....

Yes, but these things are never presented as mere opinion. There will be trophies and congratulations offered and photo opps with "the national champions".

26 minutes ago, badrouter said:

This has been the case for the past 120 years and the reason for the "M" in "MNC". I don't think anyone disagrees that it's impossible to objectively determine a best team in the entire country (and likely never will), but humans have an inherent desire to classify and rank things. You are fighting over a century of inertia that doesn't appear to be slowing down.

I think the question is, why is this all of a sudden bothering you only now?

11 minutes ago, dntn31 said:

This has been the case for the past 120 years and the reason for the "M" in "MNC". I don't think anyone disagrees that it's impossible to objectively determine a best team in the entire country (and likely never will), but humans have an inherent desire to classify and rank things. You are fighting over a century of inertia that doesn't appear to be slowing down.

I think the question is, why is this all of a sudden bothering you only now?

What makes you think it is only bothering me now? Allegiance to a particular team? That would be odd...

If things play out as projected

— SJB will won all computers and most human polls, right or wrong

— I think most of us experts would have some consensus around Md actually being the best team, TX and GA notably abstaining as the the 2 power speakers for the undefeated, big school state, power state champions 

— DV likely to get a poll or two as long as they win out, right or wrong 

— STA has several narrow paths: 1) @Omaha Vol’s description above if an STA rout of StL combined with a sluggish SJB performance vs DLS — would probably lose SJB the human pills they currently lead in 2) DLS wins — yes, the odds are a zillion to one, but this is only outcome that I think would drop SJB in computers (any win over DLS would help in computers) or 3) With no TX 6A undefeated champ, STA emerges as best unbeaten

— I suppose Lowndes has a case among those that insist for an undefeated MNC if STA loses

— except that StL’s would be better at that point 

5 hours ago, badrouter said:

Somebody gets to win it. MD lost in playoffs, just like the all time best  18-0 Patriots lost in Super Bowl to Giants. For that loss, they will never be recognised as one of the greats. Same with this yrs  MD. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Somebody gets to win it. MD lost in playoffs, just like the all time best  18-0 Patriots lost in Super Bowl to Giants. For that loss, they will never be recognised as one of the greats. Same with this yrs  MD. 

Why?

The NFL has playoffs that all teams in the league have an opportunity to qualify for and play in. How would, say, Lowndes, get to face off with any of the other teams supposedly in the running for this mythical-but-actually-everyone-takes-it-as-the-gospel title? Same question about Duncanville and I could name more.

I've already conceded the loss knocks MD off of any title rung.

MD is out. If you're not a state champ, too bad. They played a GREAT schedule and are likely the best team, but you have to "finish". They didn't last year and were still rewarded (loss and a forfeit). Won't happen twice.

DV has a legit claim if they get through the Texas guantlet. They did beat a very good St. Johns, but so did 4 other teams, so that's not much of a measuring stick this year. 

STA has to defeat Edgewater and play one more OOS. They beat DLS, the most consistent program in the United States over the last 30 years. Geico? Maybe a bowl arranged with Lowndes involving less travel could be set up (Nolebull?).

Lowndes- See STA above.

St. Louis- Long shot. Hawaii? I just don't see it unless they blow out a big school state champ from a power state.

SJB- Would have avenged only loss and if they destroy DLS, they have a strong case. I think people want an undefeated champ, but they certainly have a strong case. Too bad they can't play FL, Texas, or GA post season.

• Like 2