Market

THS2011

2 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Obviously no one can predict the future.  But I think that those people who keep their jobs and have some money after this settles down are going to be itching to spend it on movies, plays, restaurants, sporting events, vacations, etc.  I know we already are (and we don’t do that much with a toddler anyway).  Hopefully that consumer spending helps buoy the economy and can help some of these businesses recover, hire laid off workers, etc.

I don’t see things changing much, but as you say, anything’s possible 🤷🏼‍♂️

Maybe, maybe Not.  It all depends on how long we’re in this period.  The longer we’re in it the more new habits are likely to be developed.  

I remember as a kid the oil embargoes of ‘73 and ‘79.  They brought smaller cars into the market and we haven’t been back since to an industry dominated by bigger cars.  folks were trading in their big caddy’s for smaller fuel efficient cars.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

The amount they charge at movies they should be obsolete!  Can’t even remember last time we went.  Actually I can - Manchester by the Sea.  Made me wish I had coronavirus rather than sit through that depressing garbage.

Sometime significant events force change.  

2 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Maybe, maybe Not.  It all depends on how long we’re in this period.  The longer we’re in it the more new habits are likely to be developed.  

I remember as a kid the oil embargoes of ‘73 and ‘79.  They brought smaller cars into the market and we haven’t been back since to an industry dominated by bigger cars.  folks were trading in their big caddy’s for smaller fuel efficient cars.  

People went nuts buying SUVs in the 2000’s. Then gas prices went way up. But the SUV trend seems to be back somewhat.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:20 PM, Horsefly said:

The “big car” trend has never been as dominant as we were prior to ‘73.  In that period we had the muscle cars.  

You need to seriously update your specs 🤣

What's the weight and size dimensions of say a 65 mustang...as  compared to a new one ?  LOLOL

What's the weight and size dimensions of say a late 60's Challenger ...as compare to a new one? 🤣🤣

What's the weight and size dimensions of say a prior to '73 Corvette...as compared to a new one? 😆😝

Now what are you going to do...say less people drive muscle cars and more econo boxes?

When there are even more trucks, SUVs, and even older minivans in the American fleet now?

DUDE...NOTHING has gotten smaller in the American car fleet outside of that 70's market crash and recovery....

It's been bigger fatter and heavier ....inch by inch and ounce by ounce..... like EVERY YEAR SINCE...

PS:  you can plan on seriously cutting, stretching, and widening any new frame/old body resto-mod if you want the dimensions even close...

Just sayin'

🏎️

11 hours ago, Troll said:

You need to seriously update your specs 🤣

What's the weight and size dimensions of say a 65 mustang...as  compared to a new one ?  LOLOL

What's the weight and size dimensions of say a late 60's Challenger ...as compare to a new one? 🤣🤣

What's the weight and size dimensions of say a prior to '73 Corvette...as compared to a new one? 😆😝

Now what are you going to do...say less people drive muscle cars and more econo boxes?

When there are even more trucks, SUVs, and even older minivans in the American fleet now?

DUDE...NOTHING has gotten smaller in the American car fleet outside of that 70's market crash and recovery....

It's been bigger fatter and heavier ....inch by inch and ounce by ounce..... like EVERY YEAR SINCE...

PS:  you can plan on seriously cutting, stretching, and widening any new frame/old body resto-mod if you want the dimensions even close...

Just sayin'

🏎️

Nice read about the changes in the auto industry during the embargoes.  This is an article from autonews, I clipped out the parts on downsizing

GLOBAL_131019959_V8_-1_0.jpg

Shrinking muscle

7. The death of the muscle cars

As carmakers initially struggled to meet fuel economy targets, horsepower and performance went out the window

10. Innovation

The original round of downsizing brought a passel of lousy cars. But the push to trim weight and boost fuel economy brought a wave of technology innovations that continues, including turbocharging, lightweight materials, front-wheel drive, eight-speed transmissions, direct fuel injection and many others. And as innovation flourished, the shape of vehicles changed. The behemoth station wagon disappeared, replaced by the minivan.

3 hours ago, Horsefly said:

Nice read about the changes in the auto industry during the embargoes.  This is an article from autonews, I clipped out the parts on downsizing

GLOBAL_131019959_V8_-1_0.jpg

Shrinking muscle

7. The death of the muscle cars

As carmakers initially struggled to meet fuel economy targets, horsepower and performance went out the window

10. Innovation

The original round of downsizing brought a passel of lousy cars. But the push to trim weight and boost fuel economy brought a wave of technology innovations that continues, including turbocharging, lightweight materials, front-wheel drive, eight-speed transmissions, direct fuel injection and many others. And as innovation flourished, the shape of vehicles changed. The behemoth station wagon disappeared, replaced by the minivan.

Nice read...but anyone that can...usually understands that a minivan is bigger than a wagon 

🏎️

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

We had full sized vans back them far bigger than a mini.  They were on a truck chassis 

Yes and real ‘bumpers’ made of steel and chrome, that were heavier than shiat and could crush guard rails like nothing 🤣  and I do dig that stuff...

but just know that our market has gotten bigger and more bloated over time....wheelbases on average are probably a foot bigger and everything older was narrower ....

just sayin’

🏎️

7 minutes ago, Troll said:

Yes and real ‘bumpers’ made of steel and chrome, that were heavier than shiat and could crush guard rails like nothing 🤣  and I do dig that stuff...

but just know that our market has gotten bigger and more bloated over time....wheelbases on average are probably a foot bigger and everything older was narrower ....

just sayin’

🏎️

The overall market was not bigger than prior to the oil embargoes.  We have a greater selection but they aren’t dominated by bigger cars. That was my original premise

cadillac by example was a maker whose entire fleet were big cars: they weren’t making midsized or small cars.  The Eldorado was their smallest and it was bigger than their biggest sedan made today the CT6.  

I never said we weren’t making big cars, it’s just not dominated, it’s not even close really with the US market opening up fully with foreign cars   

Just now, Horsefly said:

The overall market was not bigger than prior to the oil embargoes.  We have a greater selection but they aren’t dominated by bigger cars. That was my original premise

cadillac by example was a maker whose entire fleet were big cars: they weren’t making midsized or small cars.  The Eldorado was their smallest and it was bigger than their biggest sedan made today the CT6.  

I never said we weren’t making big cars, it’s just not dominated, it’s not even close really with the US market opening up fully with foreign cars   

I understand but my point is easy to understand.  Yes large sedans and large wagons have downsized to stay in their niche.... but as a whole car and truck sizes and weights (just like horsepower) have done nothing but gone up...

not to mention driving a bunch of extremely large Caddies Olds and Buicks all thru the 80’s and 90’s....like my 501 ci (stock) Coupe D’Ville or Delta 88 Royal Brougham...🚙