Market

THS2011

12 hours ago, Horsefly said:

😂 I haven’t seen their commercial in decades, brings back memories. 

Of a company mired in fraud, that was forced to merge with Shearson or go under due to a combination of mismanagement and outright gangsterism?

We are better off without them. They and Lehman (LFH was part of the same group post merger) and Bear Sterns, as well as several surviving entities are prime examples of what is wrong with our financial sector and why Glass Steagall should have never been repealed. 

7 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

Of a company mired in fraud, that was forced to merge with Shearson or go under due to a combination of mismanagement and outright gangsterism?

We are better off without them. They and Lehman (LFH was part of the same group post merger) and Bear Sterns, as well as several surviving entities are prime examples of what is wrong with our financial sector and why Glass Steagall should have never been repealed. 

Yeah I knew of their fraud but I was a child during this era so it was reminiscent of that time period 

49 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Yeah I knew of their fraud but I was a child during this era so it was reminiscent of that time period 

Sadly, yes. I was a young man and recent immigrant to the country then. It helped shape my impressions of what's wrong with capitalism as practiced in America then, and, much more so, now.

The country instituted a very good regulatory framework and decent social safety net over the period from the 1930s through the 1960s which have now been largely eliminated. It is part of the reason why the current bear market has been the most violent since the 1929 crash.

Yes, Covid-19 is the immediate cause, but it was coming anyway. We are at a crossroads. The path chosen will largely determine whether the USA ends up like Rome, Greece or, more recently Great Britain, or whether it can sustain its prominence for decades to come ... it could go either way.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 12:10 PM, Horsefly said:

You must be short selling.  Not a lot of winners on the long position the past few days 

I'm a long hauler through Edward Jones. In Health care and energy. I have not looked at my stocks and I'm not going to. I'm more than likely way down right not from being way up last Dec.

I'm not going to panic. I only invest about 15% of my income. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2020 at 10:06 PM, DevilDog said:

@rockinl @Horsefly @HawgGoneIt

Who wins Coronavirus or 2008 Lake Travis 🤣 and you can add this to the list of things that will cause @Big Bald Hairy Man to apply too the Sabotaging of Midway out of winning State. 

08 LT because they intimidated the CV team by temporarily changing their mascot to a Clorox Bottle.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cat_Scratch said:

I'm a long hauler through Edward Jones. In Health care and energy. I have not looked at my stocks and I'm not going to. I'm more than likely way down right not from being way up last Dec.

I'm not going to panic. I only invest about 15% of my income. 

Sit on it as I know you probably would anyway. They will bounce back.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2020 at 10:59 AM, The Guru said:

The market is down almost 6% since this brilliant stream of consciousness.

A lot of cliche machines on this forum.

"Buy low, sell high!"

Except you have to actually, you know, understand where the floor is first.

There's something called dollar cost averaging, buddy...I have been buying every single damn day! When this bullshit ends and the market bounces back (which it 100% will), I'll be looking at square footage in the Caribbean. :-)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, paladin4ever said:

There's something called dollar cost averaging, buddy...I have been buying every single damn day! When this bullshit ends and the market bounces back (which it 100% will), I'll be looking at square footage in the Caribbean. :-)

if you were buying since you first said you're all in you LOST a lot of $$….and a lot of people are going to be cashing in when the market flips...;)

Just now, DBP66 said:

it's down 525 now...it's all about the looong game now...

Yes, absolutely...we dealt with this nonsense in 2008 and the market came back strong. The key is not to panic through the downturns. I'm fortunate to not be in retirement age yet so I don't need the money now. I have though been investing in bonds more recently.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, paladin4ever said:

Yes, absolutely...we dealt with this nonsense in 2008 and the market came back strong. The key is not to panic through the downturns. I'm fortunate to not be in retirement age yet so I don't need the money now. I have though been investing in bonds more recently.

I went all bonds a few weeks ago...too volatile for me now...I could retire if I wanted to now but it looks like I'll be doing a few more years to catch up on what I lost...got to roll with the punches!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paladin4ever said:

The difference between 08 and this time is currently we are being affected by a phenomenon that is changing our daily behavior both personally and in how we do business. Recovery may look different and not simply be a resetting or resuming of business as usual.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Horsefly said:

The difference between 08 and this time is currently we are being affected by a phenomenon that is changing our daily behavior both personally and in how we do business. Recovery may look different and not simply be a resetting or resuming of business as usual.  

thanks god forbid anone say ANYTHING bad about the Obama yrs. 

3 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Agree that it is changing our behavior for the present and foreseeable future with some crazy effects on is as individuals and a society (including the economy).

But to the extent we don’t resume our normal lives that applies only insofar as they haven’t yet developed a vaccine and the anecdotal evidence on other treatments hasn’t been clinically substantiated.  

Once those things happen I find it hard to believe we will not pick up where we left off.  A long and hard recovery, yes, but not a permanent game changer.

1 minute ago, Hardcore Troubador said:

Agree that it is changing ours wily behavior for the present and foreseeable future.  

But to the extent we don’t resume our normal lives that applies only insofar as they haven’t yet developed a vaccine and the anecdotal evidence on other treatments hasn’t been clinically substantiated.  

Once those things happen I find it hard to believe we will not pick up where we left off.  A long and hard recovery, yes, but not a permanent game changer.

This is what I mean by things may change.  Across the country schools are going to remote platforms for the rest of the school year.  There are already K-12 online schools available and we could see parents making the decisions to keep their kids out of public schools permanently once restrictions are lifted.  

second scenario.  Southwest Airlines domestic flights are heavily business.  Many companies now are having to conduct business remotely via teleconferencing, they create efficiencies these next few months whose to say they resume with the same level of air travel?

there are habits as a society we could create these next few months that change how we live going forward.  

now none of this is concrete, but it’s possible. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Life will go back to normal Bell. 

Please do some reading outside of News media!  geezus, there’s all sorts of articles on habits and shifts in cultural behavior over time caused by significant events

my comment has nothing to do with living under gov quarantines and restrictions indefinitely 

Just now, thc6795 said:

so you believe things will not go back to being normal? 

I just outlined how things can change based on us returning to our unrestricted lives with schools and education and business travel

here’s another:  habits created through social distancing may create a demand for remote entertainment so cable services expand their movie options to include movies that are shown currently in theater, eventually making theaters obsolete like drive thrus are.  

17 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

This is what I mean by things may change.  Across the country schools are going to remote platforms for the rest of the school year.  There are already K-12 online schools available and we could see parents making the decisions to keep their kids out of public schools permanently once restrictions are lifted.  

second scenario.  Southwest Airlines domestic flights are heavily business.  Many companies now are having to conduct business remotely via teleconferencing, they create efficiencies these next few months whose to say they resume with the same level of air travel?

there are habits as a society we could create these next few months that change how we live going forward.  

now none of this is concrete, but it’s possible. 

Obviously no one can predict the future.  But I think that those people who keep their jobs and have some money after this settles down are going to be itching to spend it on movies, plays, restaurants, sporting events, vacations, etc.  I know we already are (and we don’t do that much with a toddler anyway).  Hopefully that consumer spending helps buoy the economy and can help some of these businesses recover, hire laid off workers, etc.

I don’t see things changing much, but as you say, anything’s possible 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

I just outlined how things can change based on us returning to our unrestricted lives with schools and education and business travel

here’s another:  habits created through social distancing may create a demand for remote entertainment so cable services expand their movie options to include movies that are shown currently in theater, eventually making theaters obsolete like drive thrus are.  

The amount they charge at movies they should be obsolete!  Can’t even remember last time we went.  Actually I can - Manchester by the Sea.  Made me wish I had coronavirus rather than sit through that depressing garbage.