The greatest song of all time?

Belly Bob

3 hours ago, RedZone said:

I could sit here and rattle off classic rock songs all day (I was a rocker at one time), but the best song ever written was probably Amazing Grace...it's 241 years old.

Who doesn't DO this song??.....this is a nice version.

It's hard to find fault with Amazing Grace. Maybe it lacks a certain complexity.

This version was a little overproduced for me. I think this song is best when it's stripped down.

23 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

[...]

I like Joe Walsh, Lifes Been Good. Great guitar and pretty solid messaging... if you're on acid or some great weed. Probably one of my favorite 70's songs. 

[...]

I was listening to this last night after I had logged out. I've always loved this one. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 9:47 PM, HawgGoneIt said:

What is the criteria we are looking for? It's all so subjective really. 

[...]

It might not be so subjective. Maybe we can't make fine-grained determinations, but we can make course-grained ones. Presumably you don't think it's subjective that Beethoven is greater than Brittany Spears, despite what some 12-year-old girls might have thought at some point in their lives.

Regarding Lennon and the Beatles, I don't think you can argue with their power to write pop songs.

For me, it's a matter of value that goes beyond music. Dylan said that Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, which is supposed to be a watershed moment in the history of music, was "self-indulgent" and was the Beatles' first attempt at not being "cute." That seems right to me.

Dylan never wrote "cute" music. That seems important to me.

And when Dylan wrote "Gotta Serve Somebody," Lennon responded with "Serve Yourself," which, to my mind, expresses his juvenile understanding of religion and politics, and is really embarrassing, given that it was written by a 39-year-old man. Dylan was writing songs in his early 20s that expressed a maturity of thought which Lennon never approached in his lifetime. 

I guess I'm trying to say that I'm not much for the worship of the self or of human beings. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CODBEARD said:

I liked this GR song better.. plus it's easy to play and sing

Yes love Baker Street (and really like the Foo Fighters cover). And this other Rafferty classic (might have to watch Reservoir Dogs later 😂).

We need the “this song reminds you of this movie“ thread. You know I hear Layla and it’s this: 

• 2 weeks later...