The greatest song of all time?

Belly Bob

I don't know a whole lot about music, but I think this one is about finding humility, without looking for it, which is where one often finds God -- I think Aeschylus used to call it God's awful grace -- and it was written by a Jew from Minnesota who has read everything.

A post by @HawgGoneIt made me think of the song.

Anyway, nonsense aside, is there a better song?

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I don't know a whole lot about music, but I think this one is about finding humility, without looking for it, which is where one often finds God -- I think Aeschylus used to call it God's awful grace -- and it was written by a Jew from Minnesota who has read everything.

nice choice but the greatest song of all time is long established, it's Sunshine of Your Love by Cream. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Probably the most difficult question I have ever tried to answer on here. 

So. Many. Good. Songs. Out there

Agreed.

Songs are not material...

They combine with the world and you, at a time and place...

Some songs tend to stand the test of time, and while I generally  prefer those,  sometimes a song that's pigeonholed in time, can take you back as well..

Heard a song today (not the best ever, but for the point)  that I wonder what would happen if it were released say.... today?

🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

Maybe not a better song, but definitely better vocalists 😲....Sorry, but I could never get into Dylan, as I could never get past the vocals...

BTW: Finding humility is very good, but you can't 'just' wallow in any guilt or regret it brings....'Sometimes' you are allowed to celebrate in it too... 

just sayin'

3 minutes ago, Troll said:

Maybe not a better song, but definitely better vocalists 😲....Sorry, but I could never get into Dylan, as I could never get past the vocals...

[...]

His vocals aren't good in themselves, but they make the whole better than it would otherwise be. 

• Like 2

What is the criteria we are looking for? It's all so subjective really. 

I like Joe Walsh, Lifes Been Good. Great guitar and pretty solid messaging... if you're on acid or some great weed. Probably one of my favorite 70's songs. 

I like Midnight Oil, Beds Are Burning, just like understanding that people all over the world kind of go through the same type things, thoughts and feeling a need for social statements/activism at times. The music is good and the videography was good for it's time. Probably one of the better songs from the 80's. 

Not sure either of those are "greatest of all time" material really though. Plenty of reasons to love plenty of songs. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

What is the criteria we are looking for? It's all so subjective really. 

I like Joe Walsh, Lifes Been Good. Great guitar and pretty solid messaging... if you're on acid or some great weed. Probably one of my favorite 70's songs.

If I listened to Walsh, I'd have to listen to "The Confessor" first

and finish with "In The City" ..LOL

But Then again, I always wound up liking cuts on albums that never got the radio play 🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

My favorite Dylan tune.......

Dylan has aways appreciated NOLA and has spent tons of time here recording.

e170c42a322c2618ed4241a8adcf2128.jpg