UN Food Chief warns of 'famine of biblical proportions'

badrouter

Global famine tends to disproportionately affect people of color. So, tribalists on the left are now having to balance their wish to be loyal to the whims of the tribe, which is that we should follow the mantra "As long as there's a single case, everyone must shelter in place", with the reality that global famine tends to adversely impact people of color. Story

* I recognize the severity of Sars-Cov-2, and concede that some form of shut down has been needed. And I fully intend to continue being as condescending as possible to Trump lovers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My take  has always been we need expanded testing and some form of contact tracing while having some respect for privacy. Once this is done, I am all for some form of opening up economic activity in a careful, measured fashion, being more aggressive in certain states and less so in others depending on the levels of infection. 

• Like 5

My social media news feed skews heavily left. What I'm seeing is people seem to be actively rooting for the shut down to continue. I see people ecstatic that hydroxychloriquine did poorly in a recent study. I see people shaming everyone who asks any questions about whether the shut down needs to continue on from this point. We have a myriad of frightening concerns with this crisis. And, we can't remain shut down until a vaccine arrives. We need detailed plans using measurable criteria based on real data-not predictive models-to reopen various sectors of the economy, even if we have no vaccine. I see none of that right now.

• Like 1

One issue we will be seeing in the near future, and this comes from a major farmer friend of mine, not any media sources, straight from the greenhouses that grow the plants that the farmers buy ... Farmers aren't planting due to insecurity about how they'll plant, crop, and where the stuff will be sold. Their normal produce contracts are questionable at best with schools closed and demand at dine in restaurants off. They've just decided to not waste the monetary investment required to plant and grow. 

In other words, a goodly portion of this year's produce will not be grown. This growing season will be lost soon as well so there won't be much chance of making up for the loss. 

Kids today and even some adults think that food like that just comes from the grocery store and never really give much thought to how it gets there. Well, we won't have to worry about some of that this year. Gonna be a learning season for those types. 

Melons, cantaloupes, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, egg plants, squash... a lot of that stuff grown by these guys here. Gonna be a tough looking future guys. Brace yourselves for potential shortages of fresh produce. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Melons, cantaloupes, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, egg plants, squash... a lot of that stuff grown by these guys here. Gonna be a tough looking future guys. Brace yourselves for potential shortages of fresh produce. 

As a Pescetarian, that sucks! I love my fresh produce. It keeps one young and healthy!

• Like 2

I haven't been able to talk with some of the guys that I know who have contracts with large canneries like Green Giant, and Gerber baby food, but, the farms where they're growing don't look to be planted out at the moment. Not saying they can't still have time to plant but a good many of these crops are normally already growing by now.

Anyway, possibly could see issues even in canned and frozen food supply as well. These guys grow greens, carrots, peas and beans. As best as I can tell they haven't planted yet either. 

Just too many questions for them to invest and have to turn their fields under with produce rotting on the stalks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badrouter said:

My social media news feed skews heavily left. What I'm seeing is people seem to be actively rooting for the shut down to continue. I see people ecstatic that hydroxychloriquine did poorly in a recent study. I see people shaming everyone who asks any questions about whether the shut down needs to continue on from this point. We have a myriad of frightening concerns with this crisis. And, we can't remain shut down until a vaccine arrives. We need detailed plans using measurable criteria based on real data-not predictive models-to reopen various sectors of the economy, even if we have no vaccine. I see none of that right now.

Great post. Make no mistake. There is a large faction of people that are rooting for the virus want this to continue...as a political and oppressive means to an end. Everything that you said is dead on. This CAN NOT continue. It is gong to be up to the people to resist this BS and pull ourselves out. I have a feeling that we are going to have some serious confrontations and conflicts in the next few months if this keeps going in this direction. There are plenty of sheep out there that have no problem with giving up their rights, livelihoods, and suck off the govt teet. But you can bet your ass that there are just as many that aren't going to stand down while America is transformed into some nanny state. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

I get where they are coming from. Why invest the money and sweat equity if it may be all for nothing?

One large farm operation here donated over 300k lbs of produce recently, because they had nowhere for it to go as far as selling it like normal. Better that than to watch it rot in the coolers where they store it. However, it also makes them think more carefully about which fields to plant out with which crops.

I do see field corn planted, which primarily goes for ethanol or animal feed. I see a decent amount of vines like cantaloupe and melons down in Brooks county, but, the greenhouse guy says it isn't the amount we usually see. I have to take his word on that. 

The smaller farmers (less than 1k acres) are the ones least likely to be able to risk it. The large farms are adjusting what they're planting and how many acres. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

There are plenty of sheep out there that have no problem with giving up their rights, livelihoods, and suck off the govt teet. But you can bet your ass that there are just as many that aren't going to stand down while America is transformed into some nanny state. 

As usual, you are factually incorrect.

Large majorities of Americans support keeping stay-at-home policies for now

2020-04-23_15-06-41.png.9cd57dbdb8ac68c89cabc14a8c19f710.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, Blueliner said:

Great post. Make no mistake. There is a large faction of people that are rooting for the virus want this to continue...as a political and oppressive means to an end. Everything that you said is dead on. This CAN NOT continue. It is gong to be up to the people to resist this BS and pull ourselves out. I have a feeling that we are going to have some serious confrontations and conflicts in the next few months if this keeps going in this direction. There are plenty of sheep out there that have no problem with giving up their rights, livelihoods, and suck off the govt teet. But you can bet your ass that there are just as many that aren't going to stand down while America is transformed into some nanny state. 

Git em Blue!

Lol, it’s your nature and no I don’t agree with you. 

bgw

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Git em Blue!

Lol, it’s your nature and no I don’t agree with you. 

bgw

I suppose as long as the MSM keeps information like this under wraps, the plan can stay in motion.

Nearly 3 million New Yorkers have had coronavirus, antibody study suggests

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Blueliner said:

I suppose as long as the MSM keeps information like this under wraps, the plan can stay in motion.

Nearly 3 million New Yorkers have had coronavirus, antibody study suggests

The only thing being kept under wraps is the source of this study and basically everything else that you cite.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 hours ago, The Guru said:

I support keeping the orders...for now. I'm also expecting a detailed list of measurable objectives, made available to the public, by which various sectors will be allowed to reopen. Our Governor needs to begin answering most of the questions he's describing as "indicators" by providing specific parameters we can observe and hope to see. These details should be made available on or before May 1 (doesn't mean the reopening needs to be by then). Emerging data from antibody tests, suggesting infection rates are far more widespread than previously known, and thus the death rate is much less than feared, must be factored into this. Large segments of the economy do need to be reopened by June. 

The public is not equipped to be able to make such determinations as to when to reopen given this unique crisis. We can be sure that, if we polled people by specific geographic areas, we'd get wildly different outcomes. Poll residents of, say, Arkansas, and you'd likely see a majority opposing any period of shut down. Poll the residents of San Francisco and you might see that a majority favor never reopening as long as there is a single new case.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HawgGoneIt said:

One issue we will be seeing in the near future, and this comes from a major farmer friend of mine, not any media sources, straight from the greenhouses that grow the plants that the farmers buy ... Farmers aren't planting due to insecurity about how they'll plant, crop, and where the stuff will be sold. Their normal produce contracts are questionable at best with schools closed and demand at dine in restaurants off. They've just decided to not waste the monetary investment required to plant and grow. 

In other words, a goodly portion of this year's produce will not be grown. This growing season will be lost soon as well so there won't be much chance of making up for the loss. 

Kids today and even some adults think that food like that just comes from the grocery store and never really give much thought to how it gets there. Well, we won't have to worry about some of that this year. Gonna be a learning season for those types. 

Good Post...

My "survival garden" got seeded in the mini greenhouse day one of lockdown... 😉

Suggest others might want to take up that 'hobby' this year...

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Thanks.

Of course @Blueliner misrepresented what this study said.

The same dope who whines about models that say up to 2 million could have died immediately posts that "nearly 3 million have had coronavirus" when it really says that up to 2.7 million could have had it based on a random sample.

Also, it's not New York City. It's New York State.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

42 minutes ago, The Guru said:

Thanks.

Of course @Blueliner misrepresented what this study said.

The same dope who whines about models that say up to 2 million could have died immediately posts that "nearly 3 million have had coronavirus" when it really says that up to 2.7 million could have had it based on a random sample.

Also, it's not New York City. It's New York State.

The antibody tests for NYC show about 21%. If 21% of the city was infected, 0.21* 8,400,000= 1,764,000. So, a little under two million for the city.

Furthermore, we should note inconsistencies in approach to estimates: If it's a predictive model, proven wrong at nearly turn, we use it to set unprecedented, draconian public policy. If it's an estimation via antibody testing, "we'll, it's just a projection, can't set policy around it".

7 minutes ago, badrouter said:

Furthermore, we should note inconsistencies in approach to estimates: If it's a predictive model, proven wrong at nearly turn, we use it to set unprecedented, draconian public policy. If it's an estimation via antibody testing, "we'll, it's just a projection, can't set policy around it".

The inconsistency is using the high end of a model and saying that it was wrong while claiming that "nearly 3 million" definitely had the virus when up to 2.7 million may have had it.

I have no doubt that many more people have had the virus than we know about.

One side (me) is honest while the other (Blueliner) is not.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

So, the heat and humidity has been found to be a significant weakness for the Wuhan?

BREAKING: President Trump should be investigated for colluding with the sun. - CNN 

CNN and demoRATS demand the sun not come up until the investigation is complete. Schiff and Nadler expected to subpoena Pluto and Mars. Blame space force. Say whistle blower will testify Trump colluded with Martian's.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

So, the heat and humidity has been found to be a significant weakness for the Wuhan?

BREAKING: President Trump should be investigated for colluding with the sun. - CNN 

CNN and demoRATS demand the sun not come up until the investigation is complete. Schiff and Nadler expected to subpoena Pluto and Mars. Blame space force. Say whistle blower will testify Trump colluded with Martian's.

The frantic fecklessness and incompetence is truly amazing.

😄

• Thumbs Down 1