Marietta to offer choice

Sweetlarry

2 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

For schooling this year. You can choose to go like normal or do virtual. As parents, my Wife and I are pleased we have a choice. 

One thing I’m uncertain of, and I will seek clarification, is if you go virtual will you be eligible to play sports? I would think so, but am not positive.

Are you planning on going virtual or normal? I'll likely have to make the same decision too and I would like to hear others' viewpoints.

Just now, ngdawg said:

Are you planning on going virtual or normal? I'll likely have to make the same decision too and I would like to hear others' viewpoints.

We haven’t decided. Too many variables to make a snap decision, frankly. We have until July 8 to decide. 

Gun to my head, our kids will go normal. My Daughter is a Senior and it would kill me for her to miss out on that once in a lifetime experience. 

5 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

We haven’t decided. Too many variables to make a snap decision, frankly. We have until July 8 to decide. 

Gun to my head, our kids will go normal. My Daughter is a Senior and it would kill me for her to miss out on that once in a lifetime experience. 

Gun to your head sounds more like the anticipated results from your two favorite teams and the pending results of their seasons. Oh by the way tell O to better explain to his players the importance of washing their hands. 

• Thumbs Down 2

5 minutes ago, Sweetlarry said:

I can see why time is needed for a decision. As a fellow high school senior, I would really hate not being able to spend my historic senior year at my beloved school. I also would like to interact with all the friends I haven't seen in months. There's just that feeling of freedom you get at school that you won't get at home. But safety is a huge issue. You could put yourself at serious risk at school for the virus. This is a very tough decision, and even as a student, it tears me apart. Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

Covid-19 to my head, I choose virtual. Glad I don't have to make the decision though. 

A lot of kids down here went to virtual in order to graduate or pass to the next grade, but they all had the choice to accept their grade as it was when they stopped school. 

Haven't heard anything about plans for Colquitt County this upcoming year. 

I do assume class sizes will have to be smaller in population somehow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Just now, FootballGuy said:

Was this even called for? 

I agree, this is a very important decision that doesn't seem like it, but it will change a lot of lives in the future. There definitely shouldn't be any jokes about this serious topic. It affects far too many us directly or indirectly. Just my take on that comment.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HawgGoneIt said:

Covid-19 to my head, I choose virtual. Glad I don't have to make the decision though. 

A lot of kids down here went to virtual in order to graduate or pass to the next grade, but they all had the choice to accept their grade as it was when they stopped school. 

Haven't heard anything about plans for Colquitt County this upcoming year. 

Wish we had that option. Online learning hurt the students who procrastinated or showed a lack of interest in a subject the most. There's a certain level of organization and dedication needed to finish a course with minor supervision, and I know for a fact that many kids would have taken the option to accept their grades at that point had it been offered at my school. Interesting decision they made with that, though. Also, virtual is definitely the safer option of the two.

4 minutes ago, ngdawg said:

Wish we had that option. Online learning hurt the students who procrastinated or showed a lack of interest in a subject the most. There's a certain level of organization and dedication needed to finish a course with minor supervision, and I know for a fact that many kids would have taken the option to accept their grades at that point had it been offered at my school. Interesting decision they made with that, though. Also, virtual is definitely the safer option of the two.

There was unique circumstances here. We really didn't have enough teachers certified to operate the virtual classes, so, they gave kids options. Basically, if you had A and B honor roll, no reason to do anything but accept the grades as they were. If you were failing some classes then obviously you wanted to go virtual and have the opportunity to fix your grades. 

I'm not entirely sure, but, I think a lot more teachers have the necessary training now to offer the virtual classrooms. 

3 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

There was unique circumstances here. We really didn't have enough teachers certified to operate the virtual classes, so, they gave kids options. Basically, if you had A and B honor roll, no reason to do anything but accept the grades as they were. If you were failing some classes then obviously you wanted to go virtual and have the opportunity to fix your grades. 

I'm not entirely sure, but, I think a lot more teachers have the necessary training now to offer the virtual classrooms. 

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Up here, they just made every teacher who taught in person switch to online, whether they liked it or not. And trust me, you could tell some of those teachers had never done anything remotely online other than entering grades into the gradebook. Happy that those teachers are getting training now, everywhere across Georgia hopefully.

22 minutes ago, MTP28 said:

Gun to your head sounds more like the anticipated results from your two favorite teams and the pending results of their seasons. Oh by the way tell O to better explain to his players the importance of washing their hands. 

Stank snatch needs a douche. 

Right on time, your smelly ass shows up. 

Gimme your address, I’ll send you a case of Summer’s Eve. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sweetlarry said:

Stank snatch needs a douche. 

Right on time, your smelly ass shows up. 

Gimme your address, I’ll send you a case of Summer’s Eve. 

I do have sympathies for your child’s school year but you not so much. And given that jacked up mentality y’all have about social justice in ole Cobb County School Board it appears you and your fellow members need to send that little package to your own house there Junior.

Keep throwing those insults but how about clean up that little shithole town up. Sure appears there’s enough to keep you busy. Lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

28 minutes ago, MTP28 said:

I do have sympathies for your child’s school year but you not so much. And given that jacked up mentality y’all have about social justice in ole Cobb County School Board it appears you and your fellow members need to send that little package to your own house there Junior.

Keep throwing those insults but how about clean up that little shithole town up. Sure appears there’s enough to keep you busy. Lol

What you fail to recognize, because you’re just too fucking stupid to get it, Is that Cobb School District had as much to do with me and Marietta as it does you and lowends. 

but carry on.......

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ngdawg said:

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. Up here, they just made every teacher who taught in person switch to online, whether they liked it or not. And trust me, you could tell some of those teachers had never done anything remotely online other than entering grades into the gradebook. Happy that those teachers are getting training now, everywhere across Georgia hopefully.

Not exactly true.  Gwinnett has been working on virtual learning for several years.  They just never expected to have to use it for more than a few days at a time.  Obviously, some teachers took to it better than others.

7 hours ago, Sweetlarry said:

What you fail to recognize, because you’re just too fucking stupid to get it, Is that Cobb School District had as much to do with me and Marietta as it does you and lowends. 

but carry on.......

The AJC has covered many of the virtuous activities in your fair city. And you have the balls to talk about Lowndes, Valdosta and Colquitt. Of course we are not perfect but get the broom out cause there’s broken glass all over the floor in your living room there sport.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MTP28 said:

The AJC has covered many of the virtuous activities in your fair city. And you have the balls to talk about Lowndes, Valdosta and Colquitt. Of course we are not perfect but get the broom out cause there’s broken glass all over the floor in your living room there sport.

If you recall, you’re the one who began throwing stones months ago about Marietta being such a shitty place. While it isn’t perfect, it beats the hell out of your shathole.

And cute trying to get the cc folks involved. I don’t know ccs murder rate but I know yours, and it’s much higher than ours. 

So the next time you open your yap remember that it comes back to you. 

9 hours ago, Fred said:

Not exactly true.  Gwinnett has been working on virtual learning for several years.  They just never expected to have to use it for more than a few days at a time.  Obviously, some teachers took to it better than others.

Well, yeah. But from a student's perspective, I don't think they prepared the teachers enough. Some teacher just randomly started using different platforms that neither the students nor the teachers themselves understood. Our online platform is called EClass. There are so many resources available there, yet I would say almost 50% of EClass's resources (which were very helpful) were never used. Teachers themselves didn't know how to work EClass, even after having taught for several year. Some teachers abandoned the platform as a whole, switching to something completely new like Google Classroom, which students weren't adapted to. This situation could have honestly been planned and executed better. This is, of course, from a GCPS student's point of view.

Also, Gwinnett implemented a rule yesterday similar to Cobb. Students can make the decision to either do full-time online or in school. However, there is a 9-week trial period in school to see whether you like it or not. At the end of the 9-week period, you can either opt out from in school and switch to online or vice versa. If you like staying in school, you can after the 9-week trial period ends. This is honestly one of the few good things GCPS has done for their students in a while.