It’s Here! NJ game of year (Bad guys) Bergen Catholic vs Good Guys (SJR)

imaGoodBoyNow

On 9/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, AztecPadre said:

It's not on NFHS?  They charge for a local stream?

On 9/28/2020 at 5:58 PM, ngdawg said:

I need that free link. I'm definitely not paying for two Jersey ripoffs.

Wow jersey doing something crazy and just offered a 2nd stream for this game 

this one is the free link https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2020/09/watch-live-for-free-bc-vs-sjr-and-2-more-key-football-games-during-opening-weekend.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

It's on Saturday?  We talkin Saturday?

Can St. Joseph football extend its winning streak over Bergen Catholic?

Greg Tartaglia
NorthJersey.com

f77f7b95-6087-4c5e-83e1-5ca5f0063133-5WH

St. Joseph Regional goes for a third straight victory in its annual football rivalry with Bergen Catholic on Saturday in Montvale.

The Green Knights’ longest win streak in the series, which dates to 1965, is three. While Bergen Catholic holds a 32-19 lead head-to-head, the margin during the 2010s was much closer, with the Crusaders winning six and St. Joseph five.

As was the case in 2019, the game is being promoted by the Great American Rivalry Series, which gives a “Scholar Athlete” award with a $500 scholarship to one player on each team. Linemen Pat Colicchio of Bergen Catholic and Liam Mitchell of St. Joseph are the 2020 recipients.

Here is a closer look at how the Green Knights prevailed in the two most recent meetings.

St. Joseph 28, Bergen Catholic 10 (at Oradell)

The Crusaders held a three-point lead at the half before the visitors took over with their ground game.

St. Joseph's Audric Estime (2) rushes against Bergen Catholic. St. Joseph Regional defeats Bergen Catholic 28-10 on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019, in Oradell.

Audric Estime started a string of 21 unanswered St. Joseph points with his second touchdown of the day, and a majority of his 27 carries came in the second half. Estime accounted for 170 of the Green Knights' 212 yards rushing and is a focal point of the offense again this year.

Bergen Catholic had success on the ground as well, gaining 150 yards on 33 carries, but the St. Joseph defense kept their backs out of the end zone. Steve Angeli was part of a quarterback rotation and averaged 6.6 yards on five carries, and he produced his team's lone touchdown with a 15-yard pass to Ryan Butler.

Angeli is now the full-time QB, and Butler (23 carries for 106 yards in 2019 game) has returned as well. The presence of both will keep the defense honest.

St. Joseph 13, Bergen Catholic 0 (at MetLife Stadium)

The Green Knights captured their 17th non-public state title by avenging a 24-20 regular-season loss to Bergen Catholic.

Brady Roark of St. Joseph holds up the trophy as his team wins the Non-Public, Group 4 state championship with a 13-0 win over Bergen Catholic at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford on Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018.

Although St. Joseph's trademark hard-nosed defense certainly put its stamp on the game, the biggest star may have been on special teams. Kicker Angelo Guglielmello, now a redshirt freshman at Stony Brook, converted two field goals and a PAT to become New Jersey's all-time leader in kicking points with 253.

The Crusaders were shut out for the first time since 1990 – when their "other" rival, Don Bosco, did the job in the state playoffs – and managed just 35 yards in the first half.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, SJR89 said:

Can St. Joseph football extend its winning streak over Bergen Catholic?

Greg Tartaglia
NorthJersey.com

f77f7b95-6087-4c5e-83e1-5ca5f0063133-5WH

St. Joseph Regional goes for a third straight victory in its annual football rivalry with Bergen Catholic on Saturday in Montvale.

The Green Knights’ longest win streak in the series, which dates to 1965, is three. While Bergen Catholic holds a 32-19 lead head-to-head, the margin during the 2010s was much closer, with the Crusaders winning six and St. Joseph five.

As was the case in 2019, the game is being promoted by the Great American Rivalry Series, which gives a “Scholar Athlete” award with a $500 scholarship to one player on each team. Linemen Pat Colicchio of Bergen Catholic and Liam Mitchell of St. Joseph are the 2020 recipients.

Here is a closer look at how the Green Knights prevailed in the two most recent meetings.

St. Joseph 28, Bergen Catholic 10 (at Oradell)

The Crusaders held a three-point lead at the half before the visitors took over with their ground game.

St. Joseph's Audric Estime (2) rushes against Bergen Catholic. St. Joseph Regional defeats Bergen Catholic 28-10 on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019, in Oradell.

Audric Estime started a string of 21 unanswered St. Joseph points with his second touchdown of the day, and a majority of his 27 carries came in the second half. Estime accounted for 170 of the Green Knights' 212 yards rushing and is a focal point of the offense again this year.

Bergen Catholic had success on the ground as well, gaining 150 yards on 33 carries, but the St. Joseph defense kept their backs out of the end zone. Steve Angeli was part of a quarterback rotation and averaged 6.6 yards on five carries, and he produced his team's lone touchdown with a 15-yard pass to Ryan Butler.

Angeli is now the full-time QB, and Butler (23 carries for 106 yards in 2019 game) has returned as well. The presence of both will keep the defense honest.

St. Joseph 13, Bergen Catholic 0 (at MetLife Stadium)

The Green Knights captured their 17th non-public state title by avenging a 24-20 regular-season loss to Bergen Catholic.

Brady Roark of St. Joseph holds up the trophy as his team wins the Non-Public, Group 4 state championship with a 13-0 win over Bergen Catholic at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford on Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018.

The Crusaders were shut out for the first time since 1990 – when their "other" rival, Don Bosco, did the job in the state playoffs – and managed just 35 yards in the first half.

wow, that's one hell of a streak of not being shut out for almost 30 seasons.

On 9/30/2020 at 8:50 PM, TheMaximumHornetSting said:

Why don't yall play on Fridays like everyone else?

its hard to explain but a Saturday day game up here in Oct or early Nov is really cool.  The atmosphere is perfect w/ cool weather leaves crunching and changing, 10am tailgates, and the neighborhood atmospheres where the three BNU schools are located. 

Plus these games have enough talent, size and speed all over the field that they could be just as good, if not better, than some of the college games on Saturday afternoons.

On a personal note, I love the drive I have to make to get to Ramsey/Bosco and Bergen County area.  I come up through the Poconos/Interstate 80 and north which is a very cool ride.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, sausmann9 said:

its hard to explain but a Saturday day game up here in Oct or early Nov is really cool.  The atmosphere is perfect w/ cool weather leaves crunching and changing, 10am tailgates, and the neighborhood atmospheres where the three BNU schools are located. 

Plus these games have enough talent, size and speed all over the field that they could be just as good, if not better, than some of the college games on Saturday afternoons.

On a personal note, I love the drive I have to make to get to Ramsey/Bosco and Bergen County area.  I come up through the Poconos/Interstate 80 and north which is a very cool ride.  

SJR used to have mobile lights for night games in the 90s...neighbors complained and that was that.  I am a big fan of the day games on saturday......especially this game...prepandemic...the students from both schools are nutz....the tailgaiting is awesome....walking up to the field a couple minutes before the kickoff...there is an electricity in the air....insane game experience ......

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

BC STILL DONT HAVE LIGHTS? Even after the whole remodel? Atleast tell me the hot an official lacrosse field

to get the ok on the whole renovation project the idea of lights had to be scuttled. Bergen's residential situation is probably 10 times worse than SJRs and that was the one thing that the residents were fixated on. Official lacrosse field? I'm not exactly sure but I don't think so. Could be wrong on that though. 

5 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Thx for confirming. Did I tell you my cousin was a star fogo for the Jays back in the late 70s? 

Yes you did.  I was there for the 3 NC teams in a row.  You mentioned his name - I remembered him.  Was built like a bowling ball as I recall (most of those guys are).  After he graduated, Ned Radebaugh became our face off guy - his brother played for Maryland (boo).

• Like 1