Difference between Tax evasion and tax avoidance

imaGoodBoyNow

1 hour ago, Belly Bob said:

Are you in the "if it's not illegal, then it's not to be criticized" camp?

Notice, I'm not trying to have an implicit conversation about Trump or Democrats or Republicans or anything else. 

I do notice. I appreciate it. I’m a truly trying to be better. I’m still failing pretty miserably though.

But Yes and no. It’s black and white when It comes to the tax code. The rules are laid out. But Ethics must come into play as well. In my humble opinion, if a person is within the tax code and is following the rules and not breaking the law, then I’m good with it. I would speculate that pretty much every person in the country that files taxes annually tries to maximize their return. Most of us simply hans over our financials to an accountant who is paid to maximize your return. Are all of these filers being unethical? I suppose it depends on each individual circumstance.  And I think everyone is open to potential criticism...but that doesn’t mean it’s justified. In this case we simply don’t know enough other than the NYT opinion piece. And we know how much the NYT loves Trump. And don’t forget Trump has forked over 1.4 million to the government in donated salary. Lol...not sure If this answers your question or not. 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mag44 said:

(@  DarterBlue)

Where have you lived or traveled to other than America and for how long...Tell us other nations that you like and why ...Tell us the history of Argentina and most of all what is your income leve. ie Low, Medium, high,very high..Oh, do you get money back at the end of the year?? I only ask to give context your angry and dissatisfied posts....You should just leave and live in Cuba or France....Go guy, go...

PSSSssssssst....

you might just want to check your ASS umptions there....😆

giphy.gif

PS: Also.... apparently newbs can't read 🤣

9 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Bahahaha!!!!

bgw

Can't laugh at that one until you know what %,

that same 1% income is

compared to total income....

If it's >34% ....then the results are "better than average" 🙄

PS: of course some people just toss out any old contrived % like it actually means something 🤣

BTW: other idiots just swallow the load while laughing....😝 

1 hour ago, Troll said:

Except you forget he was not the president...

but merely a citizen... for these returns...

[...]

I didn't forget. 

The point is that he's the President now. So if the tax system is "shot" (as @imaGoodBoyNow put it), we might well think that he's at least partially responsible for not reforming it and we might well think that it's vicious, even if legal, to take advantage of a system that you yourself recognize is shot -- just like it would be vicious, even if legal, to take advantage of affirmative action polices or welfare policies or divorce policies that you yourself recognize are shot. 

6 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I didn't forget. 

The point is that he's the President now. So if the tax system is "shot" (as @imaGoodBoyNow put it), we might well think that he's at least partially responsible for not reforming it and we might well think that it's vicious, even if legal, to take advantage of a system that you yourself recognize is shot -- just like it would be vicious, even if legal, to take advantage of affirmative action polices or welfare policies or divorce policies that you yourself recognize are shot. 

So is Obama responsible for sitting on his ass  8 years and let this tax write off dumpster fire continue 

3 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

I didn't forget. 

All good...

but then how is he "taking advantage" any more than you are...

when you take that mortgage interest writeoff.

He's not any more "immoral" than you in this regard...

and people are "forced" to partake here...it's not optional.

Paying what the law says you should pay is not taking advantage...

and Paying more only shows charity, not obligation.

Hope this helps...👍

PS: T charitably gave more to the Government  than Biddy or you ...

.... so I'm sure you must have been speaking of those 'other' people in your "taking advantage" posts ....🙄

24 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

just like it would be vicious, even if legal, to take advantage of affirmative action polices  etc.....

NOTE the "consistency" here....

I have always said you can't blame someone for 'taking a job' under afirmative action....

My issue is with the law and rules.....not a person abiding them...

consistency 👍

PS: It is AWFULLY telling tho....you know...that you would come out as such a staunch advocate of criticizing "those that are 'supposedly' taking advantage of the 'broken systems' "....

BTW: I anxiously await your follow up posts calling all those people out.... and criticizing as well 👌

#HYPOCRISY ?

3 hours ago, Troll said:

NOTE the "consistency" here....

I have always said you can't blame someone for 'taking a job' under afirmative action....

My issue is with the law and rules.....not a person abiding them...

[...]

Once again, it's a mistake to say "I don't have an issue with those who own salves. I have an issue with the laws the make slavery legal." 

4 hours ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

People are acting like Trump created tax write offs, can’t hate him for taking advantage of taxes

now any smart people in here wanna explain what exactly fraud did trump commit? Trust me I need a reason to hate trump but I yet to see any evidence that he just committed fraud

It is impossible to tell whether he committed fraud or not based on the information currently in the public's hands. You would need to see the underlying support for the returns and the returns themselves.

However, given he was not actively building large commercial buildings in the early to 2000s to now (at least not in the USA), the way he was in the 1980s, the massive losses raise a big red flag. Let me be clear: I don't automatically assume there was fraud, but given the nature of the man, and the magnitude of the expenses he wrote off, I would not be the least bit surprised if fraud was committed. 

If I were the IRS (and he was not the POTUS), I would certainly have flagged many of those returns for audits. 

5 minutes ago, DarterBlue said:

It is impossible to tell whether he committed fraud or not based on the information currently in the public's hands. You would need to see the underlying support for the returns and the returns themselves.

However, given he was not actively building large commercial buildings in the early to 2000s to now (at least not in the USA), the way he was in the 1980s, the massive losses raise a big red flag. Let me be clear: I don't automatically assume there was fraud, but given the nature of the man, and the magnitude of the expenses he wrote off, I would not be the least bit surprised if fraud was committed. 

If I were the IRS (and he was not the POTUS), I would certainly have flagged many of those returns for audits. 

Here’s my thing shouldn’t it be public Record for us to see a presidents Tax lease I don’t understand why that’s not available so we know who we’re voting for , I can care how much he paid in taxes in 1 year , i want to see atleast 15 consecutive years 

43 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

Once again, it's a mistake to say "I don't have an issue with those who own salves. I have an issue with the laws the make slavery legal." 

smells like bullshit on a stick 🤣

(especially as it 'relates' to taxes lol)

41 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I think you're having a hard time tracking the conversation. 

speak for yourself  🤣

24 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Here’s my thing shouldn’t it be public Record for us to see a presidents Tax lease I don’t understand why that’s not available so we know who we’re voting for , I can care how much he paid in taxes in 1 year , i want to see atleast 15 consecutive years 

A president does not have to turn over his taxes. It is not required of them 

22 minutes ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

Until Trump, all recent (last 32 years) candidates for President, released at least 5 years of their latest tax returns. While the law did not require it, it had become convention to do so. Trump refused to release his on the grounds that they were under audit. The fact a return is under audit does not preclude it from being released. If I went to the bank to get a loan my returns would be required audit or no audit. 

The fact that he would not release them raised red flags in the eyes of any CPA practitioner or banker. But he was not legally bound to do so. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DarterBlue said:

Until Trump, all recent (last 32 years) candidates for President, released at least 5 years of their latest tax returns. While the law did not require it, it had become convention to do so. Trump refused to release his on the grounds that they were under audit. The fact a return is under audit does not preclude it from being released. If I went to the bank to get a loan my returns would be required audit or no audit. 

The fact that he would not release them raised red flags in the eyes of any CPA practitioner or banker. But he was not legally bound to do so. 

So at the end of the day he never had to release his tax returns 

I would like to see the tax returns of all politicans who somehow are worth millions of dollars on a civil servant salary

• Like 2