Can Pittsburg break the De La Salle (Concord) streak? 

TheRealCAJ

8. Can Pittsburg break the De La Salle (Concord) streak? 

The Pirates are the last Northern California team to beat the Spartans of De La Salle — a remarkable streak of 26 years and 281 games. The Spartans again look loaded, but so, too, does Pittsburg, especially on defense where it returns eight starters. Some believe this is Pittsburg's best team in decades. 

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/Mcu6q_Ix_kWDHUXxq85UzA/ten-questions-heading-into-2017-usa-football-maxpreps-media-day.htm

281 games, 281 games.........26 years!

I don't know, man.

37 minutes ago, Ararar said:

Pittsburg plays Centennial first so we will have an idea 

Not really sure if that is any type of barometer.

If Pitt were going to beat one of the two my money would be it would be DLS. They will not martch up with CC and their offense who they have never seen live.

Pitts style of play is better suited to match up with DLS and even that has been a mismatch for ever. CC will have Pitt spread out and running all over the field and will hit several big plays to blow it open with athleticism. DLS will just pound them and win by physicality.

18 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

If Pitt were going to beat one of the two my money would be it would be DLS. They will not martch up with CC and their offense who they have never seen live.

Pitts style of play is better suited to match up with DLS and even that has been a mismatch for ever. CC will have Pitt spread out and running all over the field and will hit several big plays to blow it open with athleticism. DLS will just pound them and win by physicality.

That's what is expected but if they have any chance against DLS they will show something vs CC

1 hour ago, TheRealCAJ said:

8. Can Pittsburg break the De La Salle (Concord) streak? 

The Pirates are the last Northern California team to beat the Spartans of De La Salle — a remarkable streak of 26 years and 281 games. The Spartans again look loaded, but so, too, does Pittsburg, especially on defense where it returns eight starters. Some believe this is Pittsburg's best team in decades. 

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/Mcu6q_Ix_kWDHUXxq85UzA/ten-questions-heading-into-2017-usa-football-maxpreps-media-day.htm

281 games, 281 games.........26 years!

I don't know, man.

11 minutes ago, ECHS05 said:

Let me save you all the suspense...

No. Pittsburg cannot and will not break the DLS NorCal streak. 

They did sneak in as the last team in your dual poll list... 136!   :) 

45 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I agree with you..... familiarity being the main reason -- Pitts HC is an ex DLS QB among other links

however, just tonplay Devils advocate, there is one position group that seems to stand out at Pitt and that's DBs, who really only matter v DLS to have someone chase down the RB in the secondary, but might be more impactful vs CC

i think both games are long odds for Pitt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeler01 said:

Pittsburgh couldn't beat Freedom with those players.

1 hour ago, Pops said:

I agree with you..... familiarity being the main reason -- Pitts HC is an ex DLS QB among other links

however, just tonplay Devils advocate, there is one position group that seems to stand out at Pitt and that's DBs, who really only matter v DLS to have someone chase down the RB in the secondary, but might be more impactful vs CC

i think both games are long odds for Pitt

It's interesting that you say that. I saw Pitt and DLS in a passing league game a few weeks back. Pitt's DBs looked great...in a passing league game at least. They played DLS to a tie. But we all know DBs don't matter against DLS, like you said. 

No...not this year. DLS will easily win NorCal.  I think Pitt's secondary might keep it close for a minute or two against CC, but I think CC will just do their thing and pull away.

19 minutes ago, Mjd33 said:

If it didn't happen last year it's not happening for awhile. 

Nope. I can say I witnessed history as I was at the Coliseum in 91'. Thinking about it I've seen 3 of their last Norcal loses (MV 87', SF' 89'). I gotta be some sort of living anomaly?

Actually pretty sure they lost another in Norcal in 89' to Pinole Valley or El Cerrito? Didn't see that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Nope. I can say I witnessed history as I was at the Coliseum in 91'. Thinking about it I've seen 3 of their last Norcal loses (MV 87', SF' 89'). I gotta be some sort of living anomaly?

Actually pretty sure they lost another in Norcal in 89' to Pinole Valley or El Cerrito? Didn't see that.

El Cerrito

A+

18 hours ago, old_e said:

Ordaz, Drake, and Hackett started vs SJB.  Roster shows they were seniors. I stopped looking after those 3 seniors.

Just passing along what I was told by someone that ought to know -- I didn't review the tape and won't argue those 3, but the initial post (14 returning starters) seemed a disconnect even allowing for +/-

i basically countered at 21 and now you're saying 19, maybe less

i think we agree that they're returning "a lot"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pops said:

El Cerrito

A+

Thanks knew it was one or the other, both were pretty good clubs in 89'. EC had Jamir Miller who just crushed people in high school.

Pinoles had a really good player, Don Toomer. He had a little brother he played against who was a WR at DLS.

• Like 1