What should universities do about systemic racism?

Belly Bob

Belly is participating in a summer reading group. Here's an article we're currently reading. I thought some here might find it interesting.

https://www.insidehighered.com/views/2020/06/09/defeat-systemic-racism-institutions-must-fully-integrate-truly-diverse-subject

Warren thinks that the changes we've made in our hiring and admissions policies are a good start, and she likes that colleges offer "awareness-raising" courses and even make some such courses mandatory. But she thinks we can and ought to do much more.

We need more mandatory classes that "discuss the various intersections of oppression." And we need to restructure the way our money is allocated. We can't just give it to popular professors or courses or departments. We want to make sure money goes to departments and professors who teach Foucault and his ilk. 

The comments are worth reading. Foucault is anathema in analytic philosophy departments. I find it ironic that the "philosophers" who have been rejected by philosophy departments have become the leading lights in social studies and humanities departments outside philosophy, especially in the various "studies" departments like Gender Studies and Queer Studies and AA Studies.

All we do is talk about race and oppression.  I used to think more dialogue was good, I no longer do.  We need to stop talking about this.  It is hurting everyone.  It hurts minorities especially.  You turn off people who are inclined to support your goals.  You create less opportunity, not more. You create more division, not less.  When everything is examined through the prism of race, people stop listening.  I understand people feel they have justified issues.  But at some point, they have to come to grips with the best way to achieve their aims.

• Thanks 3

There are people who believe that if we talk about something enough, analyze it enough, study it and preach on it enough - we can correct it, fix it, eliminate it or whatever.  But even God could not eliminate human sin.  Instead, he forgave it.  This is not an argument for accepting things as they are.  But one to get people to understand there are limitations in trying to change people’s hearts and minds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

The issues are raw…. A gaping wound with not a hint of healing in sight. 

People are getting hurt, and the reaction is to cling to an ideology that “bandaids” the hurt instead at looking at the roots. 

bgw

Not to mention those that are willing to remain ignorant on matters that effect others because they benefit from things like systematic racism.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

What should universities do about systemic racism?

Simple question....simple answer...

don't allow it, or encourage and promote it like they do.

If a non minority were to go on campus and promote or degrade by skin color, they would be fired.

Universities make their own bed,

and will have to reap what they sow...

PS: Universities aiming for the "minority market share" 🤑

8 hours ago, Ga96 said:

Not to mention those that are willing to remain ignorant on matters that effect others because they benefit from things like systematic racism.

100% true 👍

like being ignorant of the whole discrimination against Asians thingy

by Universities and you,

is a perfect example... 🤓

PS: remain ignorant....you are so willing...👌

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

White Privilege is the result, White Fragility is the reaction when confronted with reality. 

bgw

Reacting harshly or defensively to the assertion that, through no fault of your own, but by your very existence, you are an oppressor is a human reaction. Not one withheld only for people of a certain race.

This obviously isn't only about universities. Much attention is being given to equal opportunities in corporations, whether it be to workers without penises, workers with various skin color, workers with different facial features, workers from less prestigious institutions of higher education, etc.

Having a daughter who in the last year or so has been selected to serve on a high-profile committee within her large, public, global company in an effort to use some pretty bright minds (our daughter didn't get what she has from me) to look at the makeup of individuals within their organization -- and particulalry those who rise among the ranks -- has been very interesting to say the least.

What she has shared with us has much to do with changing people's minds and subconscious behavior, even if others shake their heads and wish for good luck in tackling something they ridiculously equate to "human sin" that even God can't overcome.

The opportunities given to certain people, throughout their careers and especially as they ascend to potential leadership positions within organizations, has much to do with what they look like, where they grew up, where they went to school (even as far back as high school, and certainly higher education), etc. And there is no doubt that the percentages at the top of the pyramid is way out of whack.

It's eye-opening to hear some of the statistics. And although I was skeptical to a degree on this topic, I do now think the effort spent looking at it is time well spent.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

White Privilege is the result, White Fragility is the reaction when confronted with reality. 

bgw

What is white privilegism and where the fuck do I buy some???

u realize America has the highest amount of wealthy African Americans in the whole world

some food for thought for y’all 

1 minute ago, imaGoodBoyNow said:

What is white privilegism and where the fuck do I buy some???

u realize America has the highest amount of wealthy African Americans in the whole world

some food for thought for y’all 

You don’t have to buy it, you have it, you just don’t know it.  The amazing thing is that people actually lap this BS up like it is gospel.

Just now, Bormio said:

You don’t have to buy it, you have it, you just don’t know it.  The amazing thing is that people actually lap this BS up like it is gospel.

Damn should have used it when I had a gun pointed at me and doing years in prison for pot possession, fuck all this time I could have pulled out my WP card

1 hour ago, maxchoboian said:

The opportunities given to certain people, throughout their careers and especially as they ascend to potential leadership positions within organizations, has much to do with what they look like [...] And there is no doubt that the percentages at the top of the pyramid is way out of whack.

I think that's why Asian Americans, for example, have become increasingly outspoken about current admissions and hiring policies at universities.

They think that those policies exclude them on the basis of what they look like.

When you start with the premise that social justice requires that the population of an institution reflect the general population, then when Asian Americans represent about five percent of the US population but about 25 percent of the student body at places like Harvard and MIT, then you've got a serious problem which needs to be corrected by reducing the number of Asians you let in.

But many Asians disagree.

4 minutes ago, Belly Bob said:

I think that's why Asian Americans, for example, have become increasingly outspoken about current admissions and hiring policies at universities.

They think that those policies exclude them on the basis of what they look like.

When you start with the premise that social justice requires that the population of an institution reflect the general population, then when Asian Americans represent about five percent of the US population but about 25 percent of the student body at places like Harvard and MIT, then you've got a serious problem which needs to be corrected by reducing the number of Asians you let in.

But many Asians disagree.

The idea that any disparity in outcomes based on race is automatically a product of discrimination is ludicrous. And yet it is an idea dominating discourse. We’ve never had a debate around this as a society. It’s always been understood that correlation does not prove causation. Until now, it seems. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, badrouter said:

The idea that any disparity in outcomes based on race is automatically a product of discrimination is ludicrous. And yet it is an idea dominating discourse. We’ve never had a debate around this as a society. It’s always been understood that correlation does not prove causation. Until now, it seems. 

But for the reasons suggested by @maxchoboian, unless we do something now, we'll create more systemic racism, since Asians will get better jobs and accumulate a disproportionate amount of wealth and power, which will lead us to form unconscious associations in our minds about Asians--that they're intelligent and hardworking and responsible etc.--which will give them even more power etc.

That's why the Harvard Crimson famously argued that Asians are not (as they claim) being unfairly discriminated against. Harvard is doing their due diligence in fighting systemic racism, by correcting the problem of Asians' over-representation at elite American universities.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2006/12/1/asian-americans-are-overrepresented-at-elite/