Laying a home foundation

ChimpGrip

2 hours ago, Belly Bob said:

Are you asking the right question?

Why not plant a redwood and build a miniature Buckingham Palace in the canopy. Put a strongman museum in the basement. Use a 3,000 pound anchor as a lift. Asian women would dig it.

After medical school though. One thing at a time.

You know me too well lol

1 hour ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

Blackhatter would have an answer, 98 will try to rebar and core lock that foundation to hang off the side of Mount Everest. Why 7000, you parking a jumbo jet in your living room?

bgw

Really, now you’re just giving him ideas. That will be a whole new post. I can see it now, “Anyone ever park a 777 in their garage”? “And if so, do you have an epoxy floor and how did the finish hold up”?

4B5760F1-1E61-46DD-AA78-617F9D5D677B.jpeg

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Would there be any benefit to using 7000 PSI concrete over the usual 3000? 

For a residential slab on grade 3000psi is satisfactory. There is a major cost difference between the 2. Your local Building Department and Public Works could offer the city or county requirements. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2021 at 10:20 AM, ChimpGrip said:

Would there be any benefit to using 7000 PSI concrete over the usual 3000? 

There is absolutely no reason to use 7000 psi. 3000 psi with fiber is more than enough for most residential projects. We will use 4000 psi for some residential applications, mainly driveways, shop slabs, and multi-story house foundations.

Hell, We don't even use 7000 psi for any of our commercial projects honestly and that includes work at P&G, Miller Coors, etc.

5 hours ago, CCBlackhatter said:

There is absolutely no reason to use 7000 psi. 3000 psi with fiber is more than enough for most residential projects. We will use 4000 psi for some residential applications, mainly driveways, shop slabs, and multi-story house foundations.

Hell, We don't even use 7000 psi for any of our commercial projects honestly and that includes work at P&G, Miller Coors, etc.

Just curious...

Do you have any mixes that can run a  4' X 100' sidewalk style stretch with no expansion joints ...

...layed on/in/above a frost line ???

Had a vintage shuffleboard court (about 100 years old), without a crack or even a single real scratch on it (at an old house of mine) ....Friends that where masons used to stare and scratch their heads when they saw it 🤷‍♂️

several feet thick maybe ???

PS: Maybe this is an easier feat in warmer climate, or perhaps I don't do it justice in the description, but they definitely don't pour it like they used to....

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2021 at 5:24 AM, Troll said:

Just curious...

Do you have any mixes that can run a  4' X 100' sidewalk style stretch with no expansion joints ...

...layed on/in/above a frost line ???

Had a vintage shuffleboard court (about 100 years old), without a crack or even a single real scratch on it (at an old house of mine) ....Friends that where masons used to stare and scratch their heads when they saw it 🤷‍♂️

several feet thick maybe ???

PS: Maybe this is an easier feat in warmer climate, or perhaps I don't do it justice in the description, but they definitely don't pour it like they used to....

Man there are so many variables involved. In reality, all concrete cracks which is the purpose of jointing it. 

We do not joint anything over 8 inches thick assuming it is reinforced with steel mats using 4000+ psi mix with fiber.

Concrete today is made to set up faster. I can't say whether or not this has resulted in a weaker product or not, but I can tell you that using calcium to expedite the drying process does in fact weaken the concrete.

With that being said, it doesn't matter what concrete you choose if you pour it on a poorly prepped foundation. The more compacted the soil, the better.

I probably rambled a little too much, but I'm drunk so fuck it.

• Haha 1