WTF?Olympics basketball!

DLS350

31 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

Who did this?

I remember it being pretty much universally praised as well.

The early response was highly negative from former players (Navratilova, King, Evert, Becker) - Martina told her to “woman up”.  Tennis writers were also critical, as they are most impacted.  Some statements were modified after Twitter weighed in - no one really wants to be canceled.

49 minutes ago, Bormio said:

The early response was highly negative from former players (Navratilova, King, Evert, Becker) - Martina told her to “woman up”.  Tennis writers were also critical, as they are most impacted.  Some statements were modified after Twitter weighed in - no one really wants to be canceled.

So a handful of people who are almost certainly not the same ones who are praising Biles now.

Another made-up story by Bormio.

• Haha 1

The defense of Biles is so over the top it is hilarious.  The Kolb chick from NBC tweeted that she was such a teammate that she got chalk for the other girls.  The reason that it is so excessive is that they know the truth.  She quit.  After a bad vault.  If a man pulled what she did, he would be fricking crushed.

3 hours ago, Bormio said:

The defense of Biles is so over the top it is hilarious.  The Kolb chick from NBC tweeted that she was such a teammate that she got chalk for the other girls.  The reason that it is so excessive is that they know the truth.  She quit.  After a bad vault.  If a man pulled what she did, he would be fricking crushed.

Do you strictly post just to be an ass, or do you believe what you type?

I’m just curious.

23 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

Do you strictly post just to be an ass, or do you believe what you type?

I’m just curious.

Nothing I said is wrong at all.  Her defenders know she quit on her team, but like her and feel sorry for her.  And a man would have been crushed for the same thing - without a doubt.  Imagine Patrick Mahomes not coming out at halftime of the Super Bowl because he had lost confidence  due to his crappy OL.

Actually I think Mahomes gained a lot of new fans that day, me included, precisely because he never gave up while getting his ass kicked.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Nothing I said is wrong at all.  Her defenders know she quit on her team, but like her and feel sorry for her.  And a man would have been crushed for the same thing - without a doubt.  Imagine Patrick Mahomes not coming out at halftime of the Super Bowl because he had lost confidence  due to his crappy OL.

Actually I think Mahomes gained a lot of new fans that day, me included, precisely because he never gave up while getting his ass kicked.

Okay.

Would you be perfectly unfazed by her potentially receiving a catastrophic injury or costing the United States a medal, all due to her selfishly keeping something internally wrong to herself?

If that’s the case, I can guess all is fine, as long as she falls in line, shuts up, and flips.

I was just wondering.

I don’t agree with you at all but I can at least respect your opinion.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

Okay.

Would you be perfectly unfazed by her potentially receiving a catastrophic injury or costing the United States a medal, all due to her selfishly keeping something internally wrong to herself?

If that’s the case, I can guess all is fine, as long as she falls in line, shuts up, and flips.

I was just wondering.

Her own statements are quite vague and included “I didn’t want to be out there”.  She had a subpar prelims and a bad vault in the finals.  It sounds like she was not confident, pressure got to her.  But all athletes have bad starts and sometimes turn it around.  Injury is always a risk.  Maybe one of teammates with her out tries something harder to help the team score and gets hurt.  She is the GOAT, for a reason.  Hard to say US chances were worse without her scores.  I would have had little issue with her pulling out of individual events, but team sports are an entirely different matter.

18 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Her own statements are quite vague and included “I didn’t want to be out there”.  She had a subpar prelims and a bad vault in the finals.  It sounds like she was not confident, pressure got to her.  But all athletes have bad starts and sometimes turn it around.  Injury is always a risk.  Maybe one of teammates with her out tries something harder to help the team score and gets hurt.  She is the GOAT, for a reason.  Hard to say US chances were worse without her scores.  I would have had little issue with her pulling out of individual events, but team sports are an entirely different matter.

Some of the vague comments that you oh so graciously decided to leave out included, “I do not trust myself out there” and “I do not want to do something that may cost us a chance for a medal”. 

Whether it was an injury or mental health is not even important.

What is sad and unnecessary is the fact that Americans are using this as a reason to slander her career and bash her and her character, instead of listening and offering support. 

That right there is part of what is wrong with society and our country.

America just lives for a reason to hate.

9 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

Some of the vague comments that you oh so graciously decided to leave out included, “I do not trust myself out there” and “I do not want to do something that may cost us a chance for a medal”. 

Whether it was an injury or mental health is not even important.

What is sad and unnecessary is the fact that Americans are using this as a reason to slander her career and bash her and her character, instead of listening and offering support. 

That right there is part of what is wrong with society and our country.

America just lives for a reason to hate.

I am not Simone Biles’ therapist.  I feel bad about what happened, but it really does not affect me.  I was merely put off by everyone calling her a hero for bailing on her team.  The sad reality is probably 75-80% of Americans had no idea who she is, but a lot do now.  And it is not for being a champion gymnast.

1 minute ago, Bormio said:

I am not Simone Biles’ therapist.  I feel bad about what happened, but it really does not affect me.  I was merely put off by everyone calling her a hero for bailing on her team.  The sad reality is probably 75-80% of Americans had no idea who she is, but a lot do now.  And it is not for being a champion gymnast.

What are you talking about?

Everyone knows of Simone Biles and the U.S. gymnastics team. You’d have to be living under a rock not to. 

That’s like claiming 80% of America doesn’t know who Kevin Durant is

She didn’t bail on her team. That’s the narrative you and so many others want to exist.

Kind of like the Americans who claim the Democrats have a narrative that the Coronavirus is a deadly monster even though it has a 99% recovery rate.

4 minutes ago, SeaShells21 said:

What are you talking about?

Everyone knows of Simone Biles and the U.S. gymnastics team. You’d have to be living under a rock not to. 

That’s like claiming 80% of America doesn’t know who Kevin Durant is

She didn’t bail on her team. That’s the narrative you and so many others want to exist.

Kind of like the Americans who claim the Democrats have a narrative that the Coronavirus is a deadly monster even though it has a 99% recovery rate.

Most Americans give a rat’s ass about gymnastics.  In fact, you would probably be surprised how many don’t know Kevin Durant.  Probably a large segment does not know who the current or last VP is/was.  Not everyone is as informed or as smart as you and your friends - and a lot of them could care less. And, deserved or not, she will always be the girl who bailed on her team.

11 minutes ago, Bormio said:

Most Americans give a rat’s ass about gymnastics.  In fact, you would probably be surprised how many don’t know Kevin Durant.  Probably a large segment does not know who the current or last VP is/was.  Not everyone is as informed or as smart as you and your friends - and a lot of them could care less. And, deserved or not, she will always be the girl who bailed on her team.

Okay, if you say so.

We can just agree to disagree 🙂

I hold some of you to a much higher regard, seeing as how you are older than me and more socially experienced & I would like to believe that deep down, all board silliness, and political views aside that you are actually descent and kind and loving people in real life.

Although, a lot of what I read here and on social media is disheartening and borderline being unforgivable.

It is the exact opposite of what you all say this country stands for.

Time and time again, true colors are shown when the opportunity arises for them to be exposed. It never changes.

Ugliness and hate and double standards are what fills this country and until that is even acknowledged, nothing here will begin to change.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SeaShells21 said:

Okay.

I was just wondering.

didn't watch and don't care...

but front page top news CNN made sure, to shove it in my face, as their top story...

Simone Biles' withdrawal reminds us that she's human -- and still very much the GOAT

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/sport/simone-biles-tokyo-olympics-withdrawal-spt-trnd/index.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Now just going by the title alone...

I don't think you will find a coach in the world who is going to disagree with Bormio calling the news coverage of it disgustingly lopsided....

Unless you think a GOAT is a quitter

Now I can't say squat about Simone, as I have not seen the "quit in question".

But If you actually think the NEWS COVERAGE resembles reality in any way...

...just read the link and weep.

PS: "But Biles is the greatest not because she's never lost, but because, now that she has, she's reminded us what happens when the burden of expectations becomes too heavy for even the most celebrated among us to bear. "

Reminding us how to QUIT is the greatest now 🤪

Simone's reasoning ?  "She told reporters she withdrew not due to an injury, but to "work on [her] mindfulness." She talked about how stressful the day leading up to the event was, how she was "just shaking" and could barely nap after her workout. She said she'd never felt that way ahead of a competition.

At least CNN reminds you in the article...you know...WTF they are TRYING to accomplish with the Bullshit....

"The Olympic Games itself is really just about creating heroes out of people so that we have someone or something to look up to and to inspire us," Thompson said. "I think that's at the core of the Olympic spirit."

And it must be why she is painted into a corner..... that she REALLY does not want to be in...

"She's representing Black girls in gymnastics, gymnasts who want to compete in a safer environment and survivors of abuse. She's representing Americans and women everywhere.

"I'm going to go out there and represent the USA, represent World Champions Centre and represent Black and brown girls over the world," she told the Times. "At the end of the day, I'm not representing USA Gymnastics."

ok....

not a good job on that "going out and representing" there....

But just maybe the media can black-wash it.

🙄

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Atticus Finch said:

But the argument here is that they shouldn't be.

You post like a child who explains away being a brat because "they did it first!"

Your argument is athletic quitters should be praised when they do so,

not reprimanded...

Yes.... you post like a "quitter child" that needs some excuse

to blame it on someone else.

💩

good thing you like CNN...🤣

• Like 1

Just now, Atticus Finch said:

I never praised Simone Biles not said that anyone else should either.

A lie from Troll? 

Shock!

So go ahead and say she should be reprimanded then,

or at least not "praised for it" 🙄

...and that the news coverage is "off base". 👍

we will wait 👌

💩

PS:...but that really won't help your silly diversionary attempts,

quacking at Bormio, for his opinion on it. 🤣  

3 minutes ago, Troll said:

So go ahead and say she should be reprimanded then,

or at least not "praised for it" 🙄

1 minute ago, Atticus Finch said:

She shouldn't be "reprimanded" either.

Then what are you going to put in the news?

Nothing ?

💩

PS: that fence post is firmly spiked up your Anus...👍

might want to get that checked,

You are not spewing very well like that 🤣