Team travel costs

Fred

Guest LOSer
4 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I would suggest with those numbers that those teams only host OOS games. Traveling long distances with that many will almost be impossible IMO. 

Or do what any rational adult would do (and every high school and college program on Earth) and have a  travel roster.

4 minutes ago, LOSer said:

If they play on the JV then they're JV players.

Teams like Colquitt and Grayson  Will never allow their "real football players  Who play varsity"  The opportunity to go on  A real out-of-state trip  because of all the stragglers  Who will never play a down and just like to hang with their buddies. 

60  football players lose opportunities because of 60 non football players might get their feelings hurt 

Guest LOSer
2 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Teams like Colquitt and Grayson  Will never allow their "real football players  Who play varsity"  The opportunity to go on  A real out-of-state trip  because of all the stragglers  Who will never play a down and just like to hang with their buddies. 

60  football players lose opportunities because of 60 non football players might get their feelings hurt 

A program of children, run by children.

Good Grief people!  Read the post and stop making assumptions based on the responses of a few, especially those heavily biased few.  The air costs were figured on 70 total people.  I know the bus costs for everyone we are taking so I used that number.  Even using the larger number for the bus, it is still significantly less expensive to use the bus.  We still get there a day ahead of the game.  We still leave after the game.  I just looked and there are no flights from Shreveport to Atlanta on Saturday so there would be motel costs for that night further driving the cost up.

There was much to do about the length of the trip.  Even with the highest cost direct flight there is a total travel time of about 6.5 hours.  For the lessor cost flights, the travel time approaches or exceeds the bus travel time.  The airplane is not always the fastest when you look at the total trip time including time to the airport, how early you have to arrive, wait time for luggage, and travel time from the airport to your destination.  Surely some of you have traveled via air recently enough to recognize this.

If Grayson chooses to take 140 or 500, that is on us.  I compared the air fare for 70 to the bus cost for 140 because I have those numbers.  I cut the bus cost in half - to get a more accurate comparison to the airfare number - which may not be 100% valid due to the seating capacities of the buses may not match up even with the number of people going.  I highlighted the difference in the last paragraph I think.

Edited by Fred
edited to clarify which bus cost I used in the comparison
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

A serious question....did you EVER play on a football TEAM?

I can't believe you did cause you wouldn't make those types of idiotic posts.

If you're part of the TEAM.  You're part of the TEAM.

Rufus>>

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rufus69 said:

A serious question....did you EVER play on a football TEAM?

I can't believe you did cause you wouldn't make those types of idiotic posts.

If you're part of the TEAM.  You're part of the TEAM.

Rufus>>

I have paid for my wife and kids to go on vacation numerous times but not my dad, brother, sister and grandma. Doesn't make them any less family. Doesn't mean I love them less and feel like they are not important. 

Guest LOSer
6 minutes ago, Fred said:

Good Grief people!  Read the post and stop making assumptions based on the responses of a few, especially those heavily biased few.  The air costs were figured on 70 total people. 

The team would not be buying their tickets 40 days before the game.

They would not pay that $408 number.

Unless they really are as incompetent as they seem.

7 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

I have paid for my wife and kids to go on vacation numerous times but not my dad, brother, sister and grandma. Doesn't make them any less family. Doesn't mean I love them less and feel like they are not important. 

NB...that's all fine...and I love you for it...BUT...you didn't answer my question.  Our guys EARN their jerseys.  They go throw a hellish boot camp to become part of the TEAM.  They give 100% everyday to keep that jersey.  And when they do...we treat them as part of the TEAM.  It's just the Packer Way.  If everybody else does it differently...so be it.  We don't apologize.

Rufus>>

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LOSer said:

The team would not be buying their tickets 40 days before the game.

They would not pay that $408 number.

Unless they really are as incompetent as they seem.

You don't know as much as you think you do.  Looked up 6 months out and lo and behold the cheapest ticket is $450 + baggage fees.  That $408 number doesn't include the baggage fee either.  I absolutely believe the groups sales office for the airlines would do better than that but not by much.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=ATL;t=SHV;d=2018-01-12;r=2018-01-13;eo=e

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

The BNU teams (and most of the programs I work with) cap their travel parties (players/coaches) at approximately 70. I've never been privy to such a plan of action as the above. If you're going to bring that large of a group, I agree that busing it is the most economic option. And 9 hours hours each way is doable yet grueling. 

There have been way more grueling bus trips taken by OOS teams. In recent local memory, DePaul busing to Cincy to play Elder takes the cake IMO. 

How long is the bus ride from Moultrie to Corona?  Or better yet to Concord?

Guest LOSer
2 minutes ago, Fred said:

You don't know as much as you think you do.  Looked up 6 months out and lo and behold the cheapest ticket is $450 + baggage fees.  That $408 number doesn't include the baggage fee either.  I absolutely believe the groups sales office for the airlines would do better than that but not by much.

https://www.google.com/flights/#search;f=ATL;t=SHV;d=2018-01-12;r=2018-01-13;eo=e

There are flights for a week before that are going for $294.

It's all about timing and scope.

For you go on Ortbitz 6 weeks before the game and use that price is absurd.

1 minute ago, LOSer said:

There are flights for a week before that are going for $294.

It's all about timing and scope.

For you go on Ortbitz 6 weeks before the game and use that price is absurd.

It is about timing and that weekend in September is higher cost because of demand.  There is no way to truly compare that against any other time we can pull up today.  Small planes with limited number of seats plus demand for people flying in for the weekend = higher costs.

I noticed you failed to address the logistics of having to have two separate flights because the carriers don't fly planes into Shreveport that seat 70. 

I didn't use Orbitz.  Can't you read?  Or did you not bother since you are convinced you know the answer anyway?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Football keeps a lot of those boys out of trouble. Different strokes for different folks. Be nice. 

Be nice?  That's a hoot since LOSer regularly violates the first 4 bullet point of the guidelines and no one says anything.