5A Melissa, TX vs 5A Benton, La (and other BOB news)

RedZone

Melissa was a pretty good Texas team this past year....It may be a BOB game in Shreveport. The Texas people have mentioned Melissa a time or two here.

Melissa is located 37 miles from Dallas and 175 miles from Shreveport.. Benton is a small town just south of Shreveport about 11 miles.

Newman (NOLA) is also on the Benton schedule.

2022 Benton Football Schedule

W1 Northwood (SH)
W2 Melissa (TX)
W3 @ Newman
W4 Airline*
W5 C.E. Byrd*
W6 @ Natchitoches Central*
W7 @ Southwood*
W8 @ Haughton*
W9 Captain Shreve*
W10 @ Parkway*

Melissa lost to 4A State Champ Stephenville 24-21 this past year in the 4A Playoffs,.

Melissa in white...

• Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, RedZone said:

Melissa beat up on Argyle last year and Argyle beat up on Nolan Catholic.

Nolan Catholic was the TAPP team that traveled to California to play Trinity League Santa Margarita.....a game Santa Margarita won 31-13.

Who gives a shit? Don’t try and prop up Melissa just because they are gonna beat the shit out of this Louisiana team. LMAO! Already starting your concession speech. 

Before the season, Red Flag is gonna have Melissa top 10 in the country 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Melissa was a pretty good Texas team this past year....It may be a BOB game in Shreveport. The Texas people have mentioned Melissa a time or two here.

Melissa is located 37 miles from Dallas and 175 miles from Shreveport.. Benton is a small town just south of Shreveport about 11 miles.

Newman (NOLA) is also on the Benton schedule.

2022 Benton Football Schedule

W1 Northwood (SH)
W2 Melissa (TX)
W3 @ Newman
W4 Airline*
W5 C.E. Byrd*
W6 @ Natchitoches Central*
W7 @ Southwood*
W8 @ Haughton*
W9 Captain Shreve*
W10 @ Parkway*

Melissa lost to 4A State Champ Stephenville 24-21 this past year in the 4A Playoffs,.

Melissa in white...

Melissa is a solid 4A school. They have Nigel Smith who currently sits at #19 nationally in the 24 class. He more then likely will be a 5 star recruit once they start handing out 5th stars for this class. Melissa always has a kid or 2 that will play P5 football

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gametyme said:

Melissa is a solid 4A school. They have Nigel Smith who currently sits at #19 nationally in the 24 class. He more then likely will be a 5 star recruit once they start handing out 5th stars for this class. Melissa always has a kid or 2 that will play P5 football

Melissa currently had 6 kids with D1 offers....

Nigel Smith is the #2 ranked DL prospect...has offers from LSU, Ohio St, Notre Dame, Texas..... 

https://247sports.com/Player/Nigel-Smith-II-46116231/

I think Melissa will be one of favorites in 4A-1 this year.

As someone who has lived in Bossier Parish over 30-years and knowing what Melissa brings to the table...

Melissa by 2-3 scores.  Benton is a smallish 5A school bumped up because of massive growth in the Shreveport/Bossier area (Mainly Bossier side).  They play hard...but they are usually undersized on the lines and have below-average secondary play like all of Bossier Parish.  Melissa could just run it down thier throats and hit them with play-action when Benton starts to load the box.

With all that said...Props for Benton playing them instead of weaker 3A and 4A schools and Northwood.

(I take that back...I just saw Newman on the schedule..)

Sidenote: Argyle is moving up to 5A...Melissa will run that district now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Good to see Texas getting back into the tradition of curb stomping Louisiana teams. 

If history if any indication, look for Melissa to win this game by multiple scores, get knocked out early in the playoffs, while Benton makes a serious run at state 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

A 1-5A team making a serious run at state???

Did the Lafayette and Monroe area schools suddenly get DRASTICALLY worse???

STAHP while you are ahead...I agree with you on MOST of the post.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Texasball said:

Melissa is solid program…Big time facilities!!

Melissa just like Argyle is moving up to 5A next Year.  @Horseflyand  I have discussed both of these teams moving to 5A and very confident the move will not be a problem.  

·Melissa, which reached a regional final in Class 4A Division I for football this season, is moving up to 5A and will play in Division II 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

• RedZone changed the title to 5A Melissa, TX vs 5A Benton, La

Benton moved to 5A in 2019.......and has taken some real lumps. 

They play in the same District as CE Byrd.

Seem like Melissa would be favored big, but I see (5A, 4-6) Frisco Memorial lit Melissa up last year and Celina did too. So you never know.

Benton isn't very athletic at all though.

9 hours ago, RedZone said:

Benton moved to 5A in 2019.......and has taken some real lumps. 

They play in the same District as CE Byrd.

Seem like Melissa would be favored big, but I see (5A, 4-6) Frisco Memorial lit Melissa up last year and Celina did too. So you never know.

Benton isn't very athletic at all though.

Celina is 4A D2. Which is the class below Melissa last year.

in my opinion 4A D2 last year was better than 4A D1

If this was a Texas/Florida match up nolebitch813 would be crying like the little girl she is.

Melissa, TX was #184 nationally and Benton was #2592 nationally last year...IF you use Calpreps > which nolebitch813 sleeps with and prays to...

The Florida clowns pitched a bitch because one of their South Florida teams (South Broward) is playing West Monroe this year....

Anyways, it's just a game at the BOB. It's an OK match up......lot of worse border/event games happening this year. Just pull up the Florida/Georgia event.

• RedZone changed the title to 5A Melissa, TX vs 5A Benton, La (and other BOB news)
16 minutes ago, RedZone said:

If this was a Texas/Florida match up nolebitch813 would be crying like the little girl she is.

Melissa, TX was #184 nationally and Benton was #2592 nationally last year...IF you use Calpreps > which nolebitch813 sleeps with and prays to...

The Florida clowns pitched a bitch because one of their South Florida teams (South Broward) is playing West Monroe this year....

Anyways, it's just a game at the BOB. It's an OK match up......lot of worse border/event games happening this year. Just pull up the Florida/Georgia event.

Dumbass I already said at least twice that Melissa was gonna beat the shit out of this no name Louisiana team. 

You already made your concession speech. It’s a mismatch. Louisiana loses again. 

Kinda like they did when they went 0-9 in that event a few years ago 😂

1 hour ago, RedZone said:

Pleasant Grove, TX will play CE Byrd (Shreveport) Week 1

Pleasant Grove won a 4A State Championship in 2019.....dipped a little this past year going  8-6.

CE Byrd is a Texas killer that runs the Wing-T......hard to defend.

I like Byrd and they should probably be favored. I know from coaching youth football over the years that the Texarkana area is starting to have a talent boom and the PG area in particular. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DevilDog said:

Melissa just like Argyle is moving up to 5A next Year.  @Horseflyand  I have discussed both of these teams moving to 5A and very confident the move will not be a problem.  

·Melissa, which reached a regional final in Class 4A Division I for football this season, is moving up to 5A and will play in Division II 

Wait what?  I thought they were staying 4A???

Ok then...I guess Argyle and Melissa will still be at it then.  That leaves...(Paris?) to run that district now???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gametyme said:

I like Byrd and they should probably be favored. I know from coaching youth football over the years that the Texarkana area is starting to have a talent boom and the PG area in particular. 

If y'all love option football and trap plays...Ya in for a treat with this game.  PG has the better passing game of the two though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedZone said:

My thoughts 

Rankings are bull shit - should not put any thought into them.

with over 500 6A and 5A teams in this state combined - I wouldn’t beat on Melissa being top 185 in Texas much less nationally.

They play solid brand of ball for the school size.  

This could be good game!