Why is Saban pissed ?

Wildcat Will

It's comical really.

There must be over 40 HBCU football teams and no one knows the first damn thing about any of them..... Probably can't even name them, don't know the leagues, players, coaches....etc

People here know Deion Sanders and 1 HBCU that runs track.

It makes perfect sense in a large picture. Well done! Smdh

19 hours ago, Horsefly said:

That’s changing though, many kids of today are learning of the HBCU legacy and considering them as a valid option 

Only because it’s become a trendy thing. Trends to get their 15 minutes, then people eventually get bored and move on.

Odds are that 10 years from now you won’t be talking about this anymore.

Maybe one of the programs builds something up in that time and becomes a mainstay. But I doubt it. If Deion has success at Jville State, he’ll get poached by a mainstay.

In the end odds are quite strong that the elite programs will still be the ones that have been the elite programs for 75-100 years.

1 hour ago, ThunderRam said:

Only because it’s become a trendy thing. Trends to get their 15 minutes, then people eventually get bored and move on.

Maybe one of the programs builds something up in that time and becomes a mainstay. But I doubt it. If Deion has success at Jville State, he’ll get poached by a mainstay.

In the end odds are quite strong that the elite programs will still be the ones that have been the elite programs for 75-100 years.

Jackson State...not Jacksonville State.

Just pickin' 👍🏿

Continue...

4 hours ago, ThunderRam said:

They won’t be elite without black bodies.  That’s the point! 

its not  “trending” because it’s fashionable but b/c of the BS politics and social issues in this country. And the only way to control the narrative is to control the spaces we occupy.  If the country continues on this same path there will be more and more black kids choosing HBCUs over PWIs

Prime has made it clear why he’s at JSU.  I believe he’ll move on if/when he feels he’s accomplished his goal.  

• Haha 1

Anyways, a little HBCU football news that has absolutely nothing to do with political agendas, track or Deion Sanders...

Grambling St, La has a new head football coach this year.

Former NFL Head Coach Hue Jackson. This is Jackson's fist try at coaching college football. Jackson's NFL head coaching record was pretty terrible...11-44 with the Browns,

BUT, he's been around the game. Jackson is from Los Angeles and went to Dorsey High School there. Grambling St will pay Hue Jackson $1.6 million over 4 years. Not a bad gig at all.

As a coach:

Grambling St has a pretty nice football stadium. Holds over 25,000.

Eddie Robinson Stadium

GOPR1832.jpg

10 minutes ago, RedZone said:

Anyways, a little HBCU football news that has absolutely nothing to do with political agendas, track or Deion Sanders...

Grambling St, La has a new head football coach this year.

Former NFL Head Coach Hue Jackson. This is Jackson's fist try at coaching college football. Jackson's NFL head coaching record was pretty terrible...11-44 with the Browns,

BUT, he's been around the game. Jackson is from Los Angeles and went to Dorsey High School there. Grambling St will pay Hue Jackson $1.6 million over 4 years. Not a bad gig at all.

As a coach:

Grambling St has a pretty nice football stadium. Holds over 20,000.

Eddie Robinson Stadium

GOPR1832.jpg

And he's already made enemies there with the Briles situation...

Nice start.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Frosty4024 said:

And he's already made enemies there with the Briles situation...

Nice start.

I don't know about enemies, but the best way to get over that bump is to win football games and get Grambling St back on point.

They're used to winning there.

We've danced around it some but part of the problem is historically, many if not most HBCUs don't have a great academic or athletic reputation.  Sure, there are enough exceptions at various levels to have plenty of opportunities to say "Yes, but look at how successful XYZ school is at ABC activity."  The best of the best aren't consistently choosing HBCUs for academics or sports.  Unless and until those schools' graduates can be looked on favorably in society, those striving to excel will make other choices.  I realize we have been highlighting some upper level athletes here but those are the outliers that tend to prove the rule.  Some of the oldest and best thought of HBCUs are here in Atlanta and I have seen from my youth through retirement how they have struggled through those years.  I believe that to be a reflection on our society writ large.  Despite the gains of relatively recent years, far, far too many look upon the institutions and their students as second class and I find that troubling.  Clark, Morehouse, Morehouse School of Medicine, Morris Brown, and Spellman have struggled to get the respect of the population at large.  And that's just the ones here in the "Birthplace of the Equal Rights Struggle" as Atlanta is sometimes known.  That doesn't address the other quality institutions spread across the country such as Tuskegee and Jackson State.  That's why I think it will take at least another 10 years before we start to see changes.

7 hours ago, Fred said:

We've danced around it some but part of the problem is historically, many if not most HBCUs don't have a great academic or athletic reputation.  Sure, there are enough exceptions at various levels to have plenty of opportunities to say "Yes, but look at how successful XYZ school is at ABC activity."  The best of the best aren't consistently choosing HBCUs for academics or sports.  Unless and until those schools' graduates can be looked on favorably in society, those striving to excel will make other choices.  I realize we have been highlighting some upper level athletes here but those are the outliers that tend to prove the rule.  Some of the oldest and best thought of HBCUs are here in Atlanta and I have seen from my youth through retirement how they have struggled through those years.  I believe that to be a reflection on our society writ large.  Despite the gains of relatively recent years, far, far too many look upon the institutions and their students as second class and I find that troubling.  Clark, Morehouse, Morehouse School of Medicine, Morris Brown, and Spellman have struggled to get the respect of the population at large.  And that's just the ones here in the "Birthplace of the Equal Rights Struggle" as Atlanta is sometimes known.  That doesn't address the other quality institutions spread across the country such as Tuskegee and Jackson State.  That's why I think it will take at least another 10 years before we start to see changes.

Let's compare black excellent of HBCUs vs. The so called Elites.  Ivy league the exception.   Time to educate.  Let's start with the SEC a historical racist bunch of Institutions who flourished off the demise of Southern HBCUs.  Not integrate those great black football teams but destroy them in the name of integration.  Imagine Grambling, or FAMU brought into that racist conference in 1969.  HBCUs are the Hallmark of black excellence.  That continues to this day. The V.P. is an AKA and those sisters are everywhere as entrepreneurs or in leadership.  Should we address Omega Psi Phi and dem Dawgs repping black excellence. Tuskegee to this day is impressive.  

Texas we have many of them even little ones in bEast Texas.  Black people know about ourselves.  HBCUs are revered in our Culture.  FBS schools that play in front of 50K in HBCU classics around the nation.  Circle City, Bayou and Cotton classics to name just a few.  JSU is  setting attendance records.  Even with our kids at your institutions guess what Frats of Soros they pledge to.  THE DIVINE 9. Brothas watch them throw up that Q and bark every weekend when the rest of America have no damn idea.  Go to UT and ask a black kid if he loves that school over TSU.  Hell no he doesn't.  A kid at Miami has more love for FAMU than the U.  Money controls this but the awakening is slowly hammering away at those advantages.  Coach Prime:  "We as a PEOPLE don’t have to pay our PEOPLE to play with our PEOPLE."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33976839/hbcu-medical-school-students-join-clinical-rotations-nfl-team-medical-staffs-year

The joint program with the NFL Physicians Society (NFLPS) and Professional Football Athletic Trainer Society (PFATS) aims to diversify the pipeline in sports medicine, including at NFL clubs. It is open to medical students interested in primary care sports medicine and/or orthopedic surgery from Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in Los Angeles; Howard University College of Medicine in Washington; Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta; and Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee

Coach Prime played 4 years at Florida State. He didn't give a shit about Florida A&M , Grambling St or any of them.

Now he's Mr HBCU. 

It's not surprising though.....75% of the 200,000 people who show up for the Bayou Classic every year between Grambling St and Southern in NOLA are only here for the 3-day party in the French Quarter and on Canal St. It's an all black festival more or less. There's nothing wrong with that it's just that most of those people don't even know where Grambling St and Southern are. 😃

On 5/25/2022 at 8:53 PM, DevilDog said:

...  HBCUs are the Hallmark of black excellence.  That continues to this day. ...

...  Go to UT and ask a black kid if he loves that school over TSU.  Hell no he doesn't.  A kid at Miami has more love for FAMU than the U.  ...

Some HBCUs are the hallmark of black excellence, far from all or perhaps even most.  And that is true about non HBCUs as well.  You cannot paint with a broad brush in that regard either way.

If they love the school so much, why aren't they there?  I do get the loyalty thing.  I've worked events for the Black Spring Break (the successor to Freaknik), Funkfest, and the like and have seen the people with the school and Greek brands on their arms, backs, or legs.  That's a level of dedication far beyond a tattoo or anything I can imagine.  But my question is their claims and their actions are often not the same.  Why?

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 5:55 AM, Horsefly said:

They won’t be elite without black bodies.  That’s the point! 

its not  “trending” because it’s fashionable but b/c of the BS politics and social issues in this country. And the only way to control the narrative is to control the spaces we occupy.  If the country continues on this same path there will be more and more black kids choosing HBCUs over PWIs

Prime has made it clear why he’s at JSU.  I believe he’ll move on if/when he feels he’s accomplished his goal.  

Let a major offer him REAL d1 Head coach type money....he'll be gone in a blink. 

Using words like "ours", "us", "we", doesnt help the social issues either.

34 minutes ago, rockinl said:

Let a major offer him REAL d1 Head coach type money....he'll be gone in a blink. 

Using words like "ours", "us", "we", doesnt help the social issues either.

We’ve had this discussion before, if he bails to a PWI for more money ONLY then that’s disappointing to his stated goals and purpose. 

the underlying social issues are bigger and more problematic than the use of terms like “ours”, “us” and “we” .  Those terms are a response to the issues at hand