Serena goes down

I AM IRONMAN

25 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Great career but how about some class from the crowd for the WINNER.🤔 it’s almost like she lost…why am I watching tennis?..😳

Dunno...but didn't you just like this post?

" Men like women’s sports mainly for one reason and it ain’t the competition.  Don’t bellyache because men don’t make your sports successful.  Fact is most women care less about sports - men’s or women’s."

PS: Sounds like you have your choice of one answer..............................................................

•  

13 hours ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

Great career but how about some class from the crowd for the WINNER.🤔 it’s almost like she lost…why am I watching tennis?..😳

I didn’t see the finish, but I did watch the Serena loss to Osaka, which was rough for Osaka during her interview.  (US Open past).  

Tristate crowd primarily… and it’s Serena Williams last match (likely at the US Open).  An American and one of the greatest female players of all-time.  A crowd fave for 2 decades… a legend’s last hurrah.  Top 5 easy, then debatable where she fits in all time.  

Imagine Mantle or DiMaggio’s last game and trying to focus on the winning pitcher.  Emmitt Smith, Roger Staubach level.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Troll said:

I've always enjoyed surfing and volleyball...

and the girls can come play with us anytime.

just sayin'

xD 

I favor the Track and Field girls. Why they must run and jump in bikini bottoms is beyond me. As a senor citizen and old enough to be their grandfather, I'm a little embarrassed and ashamed to look to closely. No way should high schools buy those uniforms for the girls. They aren't appropriate.  

On 9/6/2022 at 2:28 PM, dan in daytona said:

Not to sound like a chauvinist pig, but most all women's tennis matches are really boring. Just like the WNBA.

Have you watched recently?  I know you mentioned most, but racket and especially string technology and physical training is making tennis such a power game, that net play is a rarity and serve and volley in singles is a where have you gone documentary prospect… men’s or women’s singles.  

I’m biased to Iga Swiatek, but her opponent last night (the highest ranked American Jessica Pegula) mentioned in an interview that playing Iga is like hitting with a man.  

Strategy wise, the men and women are using different felt tennis balls for this tourney.   The women are using a lighter felt and Iga was not pleased as her forehand especially sails long sporadically.  Her revolutions on the forehand side is ridiculous with an eastern grip.  It’s the most dominant shot in women’s tennis now.  Serena’s serve was but  is now retired.  

I strongly recommend you watch any women's match at the Open in the next 3 days (semis and finals).  Every remaining player in the semis can rip the ball.    

Watch Swiatek vs Sabalenka tonight on ESPN.  There won’t be any moonballs in this one I promise!  😊.  Sabalenka is a power player and Iga is as entertaining, athletic (watch her splits lol) and dominant as any female on the tour.  The semis tomorrow is also a solid matchup with two talented power players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Have you watched recently?  I know you mentioned most, but racket and especially string technology and physical training is making tennis such a power game, that net play is a rarity and serve and volley in singles is a where have you gone documentary prospect… men’s or women’s singles.  

I’m biased to Iga Swiatek, but her opponent last night (the highest ranked American Jessica Pegula) mentioned in an interview that playing Iga is like hitting with a man.  

Strategy wise, the men and women are using different felt tennis balls for this tourney.   The women are using a lighter felt and Iga was not pleased as her forehand especially sails long sporadically.  Her revolutions on the forehand side is ridiculous with an eastern grip.  It’s the most dominant shot in women’s tennis now.  Serena’s serve was but  is now retired.  

I strongly recommend you watch any women's match at the Open in the next 3 days (semis and finals).  Every remaining player in the semis can rip the ball.    

Watch Swiatek vs Sabalenka tonight on ESPN.  There won’t be any moonballs in this one I promise!  😊.  Sabalenka is a power player and Iga is as entertaining, athletic (watch her splits lol) and dominant as any female on the tour.  The semis tomorrow is also a solid matchup with two talented power players. 

Did you happen to see the Sinner/Alcaraz quarter-final this morning ?  Alcaraz wins in a 5hr-15min, 5 setter. It ended at 2:50am. It was one of the best matches I've ever seen, Bombs away throughout..... Back to the Ladies: Again at the "Not wanting to sound like a chauvinist pig" much of female tennis (IMO) is a mind game and not like the men's physical game. A Men's game is like watching Ali/Frazier lll over and over. Both never not going at it 100%. Most women's play is up and down. Lost for a game or two then back to hitting winners, while now the other player is down and can't make a 1st serve. The field of strong women in any tournament is dwarfed in numbers compared to the men's field. Serena at age 40 is still more powerful than 90% of her peers. I doubt a 41 year old Roger Federer could consistently beat any top 50 male. Swiatek, Coco Gauff, and a few others play an aggressive style, but that's not the norm. Bottom line and the difference is testosterone. We got it and they don't.  #piganddon'tknowit.     

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dan in daytona said:

Did you happen to see the Sinner/Alcaraz quarter-final this morning ?  Alcaraz wins in a 5hr-15min, 5 setter. It ended at 2:50am. It was one of the best matches I've ever seen, Bombs away throughout..... Back to the Ladies: Again at the "Not wanting to sound like a chauvinist pig" much of female tennis (IMO) is a mind game and not like the men's physical game. A Men's game is like watching Ali/Frazier lll over and over. Both never not going at it 100%. Most women's play is up and down. Lost for a game or two then back to hitting winners, while now the other player is down and can't make a 1st serve. The field of strong women in any tournament is dwarfed in numbers compared to the men's field. Serena at age 40 is still more powerful than 90% of her peers. I doubt a 41 year old Roger Federer could consistently beat any top 50 male. Swiatek, Coco Gauff, and a few others play an aggressive style, but that's not the norm. Bottom line and the difference is testosterone. We got it and they don't.  #piganddon'tknowit.     

I stayed up to watch it.  Was funny that I received a text from a Swiss friend of mine during his breakfast and watching the match live.  :) 

Nothing like US Open night tennis.  Tiafoe beating Nadal and then Rublev was epic.  Finally an American made it to a mens semis.  Sinner (Sinner Sinner echo for a Judas Priest song reference) looks like a teenager face wise.  And Alca(t)raz is an assassin already at a young age. Solid future for both guys and they’ll likely often battle for slams hardware.  

But the big 3 or 4 with Murray dominated men’s tennis veeeeeeeery long.  There was even a running joke about how no youngster was stepping up.  

But you can see Nadal’s age being a factor this tourney with Tiafoe’s younger legs dominating.  Djokovic still has the game to win a slam.  Fed not sure he comes back at all, but if he does it won’t be for early exits… likely a small selection of 1000 rank tourneys and the slams minus French and a Wimbledon shot perhaps.  

D4434202-5F36-4DEF-A971-F40061EE9D8E.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

@dan in daytona my mistake… both semis are tonight.  Iga plays Sabalenka later.  First semis on ESPN now.   Jabeur dusted Garcia in less than 30 min.  6-1.  

Nice woman's semi-final. How many service breaks was that in the final set...Crazy.

Swiatek wins title Saturday ?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dan in daytona said:

Nice woman's semi-final. How many service breaks was that in the final set...Crazy.

Swiatek wins title Saturday ?

Jabeur looked the best tonight imo.  

Sabalenka-Swiatek reminded me of a heavyweight fight with a lot of head shot attempts and holding onto each other.   It wasn’t pretty at times, but Iga looked good in set 2.    

The breaks of serves is a plus for the men.  The amount of breaks in the Swiatek match yesterday and today made me 🤢.  It’s a fast court surface… hold your dang serve!   

You’ll see better tennis in the finals because Jabeur has a solid all around game and has better foot speed than Sabalenka.  Iga won’t have as many freebies on errors, but she’ll likely have more winners.  I’m biased to Iga.  🇵🇱 

• Like 1

Ruud vs Alcaraz men’s final Sunday.  Ruud brings a Glock.  Alcaraz brings an AK 47, but with limited ammo likely (multiple 5 sets matches).  He’s young though.  

Ruud is solid and is one of the handful of good enough to win a slam but hasn’t veterans…  

I hope it’s a 5 set masterpiece, but Ruud will likely have issues escaping from Alcaraz.  😉   HE HAS to win set one imho to win this.  

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

4 pm est women’s final fyi 

Iga is dominating thus far.  6-2  2-0 (Iga serving 30 all).  Surprised it’s this easy.  Jabeur poor mental choice to drop shot at 15-30.  Iga finished the game off and is now up 3-0 set 2.  Winners are from everywhere.  

Jabeur not going away just yet… broke Iga to get back on serve 2-3  

Tennis tidbit for the oldies… 

Tracy Austin’s son defeated Taylor Fritz in the first rd! :)    His name is Brandon Holt.  

4-2 Iga and serving but @dan in daytonabreaks are starting again   😂 Iga just saved 2 break points. Jabeur will kick herself if she loses this game.  She didn’t ha. 3 breaks in a row.  :) 

Jabeur to serve 3-4… and holds. 4 all.  Iga is feeling the pressure for sure.   She’s back to changing racket string tension and Jabeur is electrifying the crowd with some gem winners.  

2 break points for Jabeur.  Iga saves both and goes to adv and doubles.  😡 #choking pressure.  2nd deuce. Iga holds.   Jabeur to serve 4-5. She’s had her chances this set.  

0-15, 15 all, 15-30, 30 all. 40-30. 5 all.

Iga holds. Superb point at 30-15.   Jabeur to serve 5-6.  Tiebreaker or victory.   We shall see.  

Error Jabeur 0-15.  Return coating the line.  0-30.  Iga backhand netter and forehand long.  30-30.  Jabeur forehand long.  Iga racket change for match point.   Saved.  Big serve down the T.  Adv Tunisia.  Iga forehand sails wide.  Tiebreaker!  

Sam Octoberfest cap.  Click. 

2-1 Iga in breaker. 3-2 Iga.  Standing water break on the switch 4-2 Iga.  4-4.  5-4 Jabeur!  3 straight.  Iga forehand rip dtl.  5-5.  Match point 2 for Iga 6-5.