Was Bo Jackson the greatest athlete you ever saw?

paladin4ever

7 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Old tape of Jim Thorpe hard to argue against him. Bo while only playing a short time was better then frigging Deion. Sanders sucked at baseball more of a sideshow then true player. In football he was a great cover corner. In fact the best cover corner to ever play the game. In my opinion Lester Hayes or Charles Woodson best overall corner to play the game. Frigging Sanders was a pillow man. He hated contact.

Him and Mike Haynes with the stickum dripping off their hands. Lol.  Loved those guys.  Cwood best DB up there with Rod Wood. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thc6795 said:

Old tape of Jim Thorpe hard to argue against him. Bo while only playing a short time was better then frigging Deion. Sanders sucked at baseball more of a sideshow then true player. In football he was a great cover corner. In fact the best cover corner to ever play the game. In my opinion Lester Hayes or Charles Woodson best overall corner to play the game. Frigging Sanders was a pillow man. He hated contact.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drummer61 said:

Deion was NEVER a hitter and did not like to get hit..

I remember Deion being quoted as saying his paltry tackle numbers was a "business decision.""  In other words, he didn't want to risk getting hurt and losing potential future earnings.  I also remember him as a Yankee getting screamed at by Carlton Fisk to run a ball out.  A guy like him doesn't belong in this conversation.  I'll go along with Bo Jackson based on playing 2 professional sports on a very high level.  Never saw Jim Thorpe so can't comment on him.  Obviously, many many great athletes who played only one sport.

There is another topic similar to this that I just posted on.  

As far as all around player/athlete I think Danny Ainge does not get enough credit.  MLB all rookie team at age 20 while playing hoops at BYU, two time AA at BYU in hoops, averaged over 20 ppg one season in the NBA, started on two title teams, and was one of the top football recruits as a QB out of high school.  Not a bad resume. 

Jim Brown may have them all at least for his era.  In addition to his football greatness he was an AA in lacrosse at Syracuse.  National finalist in the decathlon although did not train much for some of the events.  He was second leading scorer on the hoops team for Syracuse his last two seasons.  Four sports and pretty good at all of them.

7 hours ago, Cossacks said:

Yep! And then promptly got his shit just pushed in xD

With what should be an illegal move, no less. But I pointed that out to show who was faster since we're discussing the best athlete. Deion was the superior football player, track athlete, better baseball career. But Bo was stronger.

3 minutes ago, Bones said:

With what should be an illegal move, no less. But I pointed that out to show who was faster since we're discussing the best athlete. Deion was the superior football player, track athlete, better baseball career. But Bo was stronger.

Deion for sure had a longer football career, but superior? One of the two won a Heisman?

Better baseball career? Based on what, stolen bases? 

Bo          694 games AB: 2,293  HR:141  Steals: 82  AVG.: 250 HITS: 598 RBI: 415

Deion    641 games AB: 2,1213 HR:39   Steals: 186 AVG: 263 HITS: 558 RBI: 168

38 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Deion for sure had a longer football career, but superior? One of the two won a Heisman?

Better baseball career? Based on what, stolen bases? 

Bo          694 games AB: 2,293  HR:141  Steals: 82  AVG.: 250 HITS: 598 RBI: 415

Deion    641 games AB: 2,1213 HR:39   Steals: 186 AVG: 263 HITS: 558 RBI: 168

Deion had almost triple the triples. Bo had 841 strike outs compared to 352 for Deion. Deion had better OBP. Deion had better base on balls to strike out ratio. Deion had a nice WS showing and played in both a WS and SB. Suited up for a MLB and NFL game in the same day.

Meanwhile with Bo we have to say what he could have done if not for his hip.

On 8/15/2017 at 2:50 PM, paladin4ever said:

The thing is Hershel only played football professionally. HW was a beast, no doubt...I think Marcus Dupree was a better freshman in my opinion, though...

Did lil Marcus CARRY Oklahoma on his back, like Walker did Georgia? Hershel Walker provided 75% of UGA's offense in 1980! And a lil known fact that will go down in UGA lore IS! He was badly injured in the FIRST quarter of the National Championship game! He sustained a separated shoulder on the second series! And the UGA medical staff, with little regard for Hershel's health! Popped it back into place, and aWAAAY he went to a 135 yd. night, against a Notre Dame D that had not given up a 100 yards rushing in a game, all season! THAT was LEGENDARY! THAT treatment was no doubt instrumental, in his filing for pro status as a Junior! The FIRST EVER to do so!

• Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 0:53 PM, nptb17 said:

Lebron James is it for me.

Agree, unlike some of these guys of the past though, you can't play two sports at the highest level now a days and be successful(Won't happen). 

Guys like Thorpe, Jim Brown etc..... Played in leagues that weren't the most athletic to say the least(Integration). Can you imagine Adrian Peterson running against defenses that consisted of athletes that go to Princeton sprinkled in with 2 or 3 real studs? That's pretty much what Brown and Thorpe faced.

The Washington Redskins had 0 African American players till 1962. I just can't hold any player of that era in the same regards as a player that played during integration.

• Like 1

As far as football players, for me personally I've never seen a player quite like Percy Harvin.  The guy had some serious issues though mentally.   But some of the stuff he could do on the field was just incredible.  

I really hope one day they do a documentary on his career.  It would definitely be very interesting.   

15 hours ago, ORabidOne said:

Did lil Marcus CARRY Oklahoma on his back, like Walker did Georgia? Hershel Walker provided 75% of UGA's offense in 1980! And a lil known fact that will go down in UGA lore IS! He was badly injured in the FIRST quarter of the National Championship game! He sustained a separated shoulder on the second series! And the UGA medical staff, with little regard for Hershel's health! Popped it back into place, and aWAAAY he went to a 135 yd. night, against a Notre Dame D that had not given up a 100 yards rushing in a game, all season! THAT was LEGENDARY! THAT treatment was no doubt instrumental, in his filing for pro status as a Junior! The FIRST EVER to do so!

That was heroic.  Tough and a warrior.  

46 minutes ago, 954gator said:

Not a fan of his lol, but it has to be Lebron James.   Another guy that makes the list in his prime as far as athleticism was Vince Carter.  

What about Spud Webb?  Little guy who can jump out of the gym.  Dunk w/ 2 balls.  What was he, 5'6?  Not thinking he belongs on list but impressive athlete.