Was Bo Jackson the greatest athlete you ever saw?

paladin4ever

Dave Winfield.....

Dave Winfield is the only athlete in history to be drafted by four different leagues, but in the end he chose Major League Baseball over the NFL, the ABA and the NBA, where he found a home and was successful throughout his tenure. 

The outfielder didn’t spend a single day in the minor leagues, and he began his career with the Padres.

• Like 2

Old tape of Jim Thorpe hard to argue against him. Bo while only playing a short time was better then frigging Deion. Sanders sucked at baseball more of a sideshow then true player. In football he was a great cover corner. In fact the best cover corner to ever play the game. In my opinion Lester Hayes or Charles Woodson best overall corner to play the game. Frigging Sanders was a pillow man. He hated contact.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thc6795 said:

Old tape of Jim Thorpe hard to argue against him. Bo while only playing a short time was better then frigging Deion. Sanders sucked at baseball more of a sideshow then true player. In football he was a great cover corner. In fact the best cover corner to ever play the game. In my opinion Lester Hayes or Charles Woodson best overall corner to play the game. Frigging Sanders was a pillow man. He hated contact.

He definitely was not huge on the big contact for sure but he was pretty amazing on the field.  I can say I always hated the way he carried the ball once he grabbed it though.  Also Bo Jackson could probably be number one but he was a few years before I started watching so never really saw him play except on youtube.  But if we are going to go back in time I would say Jim Brown would be at the top of the list.  He might have even been a better lacrosse player than football but obviously their was not route to go pro in lacrosse at that time.

15 minutes ago, thc6795 said:

Yep, I remember several times he was drug into the end zone.........from the 20. Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, LeftOnBase said:

Yep, I remember several times he was drug into the end zone.........from the 20. Lol. 

Man, he got run over on the goal line by a QB. That aside he was the best cover corner period. Effect on the game? We're talking about shutting down a side of the field. If your name wasn't Rice he was taking you out of the offensive game plan. He went to the 9ers and they won the SB. Then got snatched up by the Boys and they win the Super Bowl. And we didn't discuss punt and kick returns.

Plus was a pretty decent baseball player. Then if you watch NFL tv when he was at FSU they said the track coach would ask him to run and he'd do that and be outstanding.

Look, I like Bo and he had a lot of promise, but when you get your career ended by the Bungles basically you can't be the goat. And I was a Bungles fan in the days of Boomer Esiason and Icky Woods.

first what are parameters on this....did you have to play multiple pro sports?  is a guy like Michael Phelps in the discussion...which is a yes btw. or Usain Bolt or Carl lewis.......old school goes to Thorpe / Jim Brown / Bruce Jenner etc......is this pro sports only?  so i guess my answer is no..Bo Jackson was not the greatest athlete I ever saw.  

8 minutes ago, SJR89 said:

first what are parameters on this....did you have to play multiple pro sports?  is a guy like Michael Phelps in the discussion...which is a yes btw. or Usain Bolt or Carl lewis.......old school goes to Thorpe / Jim Brown / Bruce Jenner etc......is this pro sports only?  so i guess my answer is no..Bo Jackson was not the greatest athlete I ever saw.  

Good question I thought it was based off multiple sports. If the question is just how good you were at your sport. I would put Tiger Woods in there. For a while he played golf better then anyone else did anything.

5 hours ago, paladin4ever said:

I would definitely have to say yes. Just an amazing athlete that got cut short by a terrible injury. But man...for that window in time...he was Superman.

IF you think THAT! I suggest that you look at FRESHMEAN Hershel Walker at UGA, RUN OVER future Dallas Cowboy Safety Bill Bates, at Neyland Stadium in 1980! Hershel almost single handedly ran UGA to the National Championship! Jackson shared his time with other great backs,(Lionel James, William Andrews, et al.) to take the pressure off his body! NOT so with Hershel! It was he and Lindsay Scott, and pray for a lil DEEEfense! HELL, Walker was a bad ass  in kick boxing, at age FIFTY!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ORabidOne said:

IF you think THAT! I suggest that you look at FRESHMEAN Hershel Walker at UGA, RUN OVER future Dallas Cowboy Safety Bill Bates, at Neyland Stadium in 1980! Hershel almost single handedly ran UGA to the National Championship! Jackson shared his time with other great backs,(Lionel James, William Andrews, et al.) to take the pressure off his body! NOT so with Hershel! It was he and Lindsay Scott, and pray for a lil DEEEfense! HELL, Walker was a bad ass  in kick boxing, at age FIFTY!

The thing is Hershel only played football professionally. HW was a beast, no doubt...I think Marcus Dupree was a better freshman in my opinion, though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drummer61 said:

He was 6 ' and weighted about 190-195 lbs..Died in the 1953..... My dad died in 1977 and said," best he ever saw"... Jim Brown was another one as was Rafer Johnson and Bruce Jenner,before he turned freak...

Don't know who Rafer Johnson was.  While JB is arguably the greatest football player/RB I can't include him bc I don't know how well he could have played other sports.  Could he hit a baseball?  Don't know.   Track guy's, esp. decathlon, I would include without them having to play other sports so Jenner might be a choice.  Then I imagine Jenner playing football and see him getting destroyed and then I re-think everything I just wrote above.  

So, in proving I don't know wth I'm talking about, Im going with the op and saying Bo Jackson.  The thing about that guy was he did it without looking like he tried very hard.  All looked so easy for him .  Anybody who can just walk on a pro football team without training camp and just playing baseball and be the best player on the field is just awesome.  That was Bo. 

Then as someone mentioned earlier, H. Walker, a definite freak athlete who could do it all.  Shit man Im all over the place. 

• Like 1