Word on today's BNU Scrimmages

SJR 04

10 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

so you are basically saying that Teel should keep the QB situation open even after the game with Byrnes? 

Yeah j would. Just because your skill set is good enough to beat byrnes doesn't mean you have what it takes to beat the week 2 opponent. Why should you let any kid at any position feel safe. You shouldn't feel that comfortable in that you know your position is always yours

3 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

don't believe so..but JM's physicality could be a big boost to the D..Also hearing that one of the LB's has been moved to Dline..not sure who but maybe Anthony Corbin. If that is the case he must have put on weight because he was a lot smaller last year

They moved Javontae jean-baptiste to DE. He usually plays outside LB but being 6'5 helps for an easy transition. 

12 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

some other nuggets of information..McKenzie will be playing more linebacker than running back it seems..supposedly the kid's heart wants to go to Notre Dame and he can't be a RB there.so it looks like the switch to linebacker is real and permanent..I would say Johnson is now the main RB at Bergen..

Aside from cornerback, what defensive position could McKenzie play at Notre Dame?  He's 5-8-ish, I don't think he's a cornerback, and I don't think he's the second coming of Sam Mills at LB, either.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mickeybern said:

don't believe so..but JM's physicality could be a big boost to the D..Also hearing that one of the LB's has been moved to Dline..not sure who but maybe Anthony Corbin. If that is the case he must have put on weight because he was a lot smaller last year

In Toal's first year at Bosco, he moved Andrew Roth from LB to DT, where he was very undersized.  At year's end, he was the Defensive MVP for Bosco.  Roth's father told me was initially concerned about the move to DT, but after that, he never questioned anything Toal did.  The father is Al Roth and he was the long-time girls basketball coach at Paramus Catholic.  One thing about Toal is he is very good at knowing what a player can and cannot do - he never asks a player to do what he can't do and I heard that back when he was at Hackensack.  .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HSFBfan said:

and thats why kids today are the way they are. they will never learn to compete. they will run until they fall into a softer spot. i said the same thing about Alfano. Kid will go to Rahway and nobody really is ever gonna talk about him. He'll never showcase his skill on the national level or anything like that. And if i was nunzio i start the best 11 players on both sides. Idc what class you are in. If your a soph and your better then a senior then you start. And it shouldnt be written in stone. If your better in week 1 and get beat out during week 2 then your on the bench as a backup

I would say Alfano controls how good he can be, no matter where he goes.  Players have done very well at the next level after playing for a public school and that includes smaller schools.  

By the way, I hear Sharkey may be going back home to play at Verona.  

16 minutes ago, PJR said:

Aside from cornerback, what defensive position could McKenzie play at Notre Dame?  He's 5-8-ish, I don't think he's a cornerback, and I don't think he's the second coming of Sam Mills at LB, either.  

was thinking the same thing....and his last name is not Feritta ...at ND.....pretty sure wrestling is the only way that kid plays at ND other than walking on.....

26 minutes ago, PJR said:

I would say Alfano controls how good he can be, no matter where he goes.  Players have done very well at the next level after playing for a public school and that includes smaller schools.  

By the way, I hear Sharkey may be going back home to play at Verona.  

His twitter says he's going back to hometown Verona 

14 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

SO much pressure on this staff to win a Chip in 2017! In my 30+ years of following NJ hsfb, the stakes have never been so high for a team.  

When you are preseason ranked so high that is where the pressure lies. To be honest the pressure is really on Nunz. Toal and Fred been there done that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SJR89 said:

was thinking the same thing....and his last name is not Feritta ...at ND.....pretty sure wrestling is the only way that kid plays at ND other than walking on.....

i feel the same way..i always felt but would never say that McKenzie's best way forward was wrestling..unfortunately he is now a junior and most all year wrestlers have passed him by..can't play CB  too slow   LB is the only option

Believe me, I think McKenzie is very talented.  However, I think he has a lot to prove this year.  First, can he stay healthy?  Second, is he going to come close to matching the hype that surrounded his arrival?  I agree on wrestling with him.  He has a lot to prove there, too, as his two years have ended with thuds.