Sports Illustrated (print)

golfaddict1

3 minutes ago, CaliNorth said:

Similar to Russia beating USA in olympic semi's in B-ball in 1988 . Who beat russia that yr for the gold in the final ?

I think the former Yugoslvia when Petro was balling for them? 🤷‍♂️. But not totally sure.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Many folks forget as awesome as beating Russia was, they still had another opponent to face for Gold and it was no gimme!  

Finland 

Note: Al Michaels call still can give you goosebumps.  😊

They trailed Finland 2-1 after 2 periods.  Brooks walked into the locker room at the end of intermission and said “if you lose this game, you’ll take it to your f**king graves”.  And then walked out.

Cossacks already mentioned it.  Brooks was such a motivator 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

I also received a magazine subscription by mail simply called Sport.  

My folks got me a Sport subscription when I was in junior high; Steve Garvey was the executive publisher at the time (he apparently took a break from plowing chicks to do so) and remember my mom was beside herself when their 1995 swimsuit issue arrived in our mailbox 😄

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Random folks? Hell No 😂. The general public is just chalk full of RuhTards. Especially the younger generation. We are doomed. 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8sFVNfo/

😂 I shared this guy asking two other women (cute)  the same question.  Priceless!  

I’ll copy you in.  Gotta find it.  

Amazing how some brains work.  I’ve got an amazing Abby Normal, but c’mon!  😂 That’s fricking brutal.  

STOP that Bucs.  You’re not winning!  Dang it, I like this team.  31-23 

24 minutes ago, I AM IRONMAN said:

First thing I did when I got the issue was turn to the back page, and read the article.  Forgot writers name but he was awesome, great stories😎

Rick Reilly.  I have one of his books, Who’s your caddy.  Good stuff.  Talented guy.  

Life of Reilly (reminds me of the Jackie Gleason show name on TV, diff spelling Riley).  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JCGIII said:

I believe that was Bill Lee aka Spaceman.

Not during games apparently but Spaceman liked psychedelics.

High Times: You now live in Oregon. It's known that, come the rain, psychedelic mushrooms sprout a lot there.

Lee: Oh, yeah, just like trees. They're not that potent, though. You have to have the chemical process, really, to synthesize them out. I like them because they cause a periodical cleaning out of the system. Roto-Rooter type of thing. They do that for me. I also go on a fast at the drop of a hat to clean me out, off season. But mushrooms are kind of like a psychedelic enema. I think probably High Times readers do the same thing.

On 1/21/2024 at 10:14 AM, golfaddict1 said:

Many folks forget as awesome as beating Russia was, they still had another opponent to face for Gold and it was no gimme!  

Finland 

Note: Al Michaels call still can give you goosebumps.  😊

I knew that...My favorite uncle was a Finnlander (as he called himself), so I figured I was a winner either way.

• Like 2

I watched the TV show as a kid, and it was William Bendix. But earlier it was Jackie Gleason.

Genre Situation comedy[5]
Starring Jackie Gleason (1949–1950)
William Bendix (1953–1958)
Country of origin United States
Original language English
No. of seasons 6
Production
Running time 30 minutes[5]
Original release
Network NBC
Release October 4, 1949 –
August 22, 1958
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Slotback Right said:

I watched the TV show as a kid, and it was William Bendix. But earlier it was Jackie Gleason.

Genre Situation comedy[5]
Starring Jackie Gleason (1949–1950)
William Bendix (1953–1958)
Country of origin United States
Original language English
No. of seasons 6
Production
Running time 30 minutes[5]
Original release
Network NBC
Release October 4, 1949 –
August 22, 1958

My bad.  I don’t recall ever seeing Bendix in TV role   Been a long time since I saw reruns and always seemed to be Gleason on WPIX reruns.  Channel 11 NY.  

Gleason was thin on that show, similar to Babe Ruth a majority of his career (Sox/Yanks).  

Two icons thought of as rotund likely from the majority, but they were once slim!  😊  
The Babe could motor and had a good amount of triples in his prime. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Slotback Right said:

I was starting to think that you were older than I, since I was too young to watch Gleason in that role. 😉

Reruns for sure.  😊

My retention of tv viewing starts around ‘74 as a kid, with a memory of the Rose-Buddy Harrelson fight (Buddy passed away this month actually) in ‘73.  

Sadly, I remember nothing from the stellar Mets and Knicks 73 teams, beyond a fight.  😞
Wilt, I don’t recall watching live.  Bummer. 

• Like 1