Sports Illustrated (print)

golfaddict1

Like many here I’m sure, it was always a special day of the week when the new SI issue arrived in the mail!  

I also received a magazine subscription by mail simply called Sport.  

But the king was Sports Illustrated.  

What a shame it’s over, but it had a nice run.  

With all due respect to Christie, Elle and friends… this was the best cover imo.  

IMG_8224.jpeg

• Like 7

Any sports fan over maybe 35 has fond memories of SI. It was basically a must subscribe magazine. I'd read articles for shit I didn't even care about! But, obviously, print media is dead. And the online medium is accessible to most everyone.  Any random dipshit can make a website and publish garbage that will get clicks.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Like many here I’m sure, it was always a special day of the week when the new SI issue arrived in the mail!  

With all due respect to Christie, Elle and friends… this was the best cover imo.  

IMG_8224.jpeg

Beat a very good bunch… Mikhailov, Tretiak, Fetisov, Makarov

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Beat a very good bunch… Mikhailov, Tretiak, Fetisov, Makarov

The Americans had no business beating that team, but at the time, it was as if you could feel the upset coming.  People seemed to have a sense we could win - improbable as it was.  A bunch of college kids taking on perhaps the greatest hockey team ever assembled.  Now it seems impossible - but it didn’t then.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, Bormio said:

The Americans had no business beating that team, but at the time, it was as if you could feel the upset coming.  People seemed to have a sense we could win - improbable as it was.  A bunch of college kids taking on perhaps the greatest hockey team ever assembled.  Now it seems impossible - but it didn’t then.

Way better times IMO. I remember waiting for the tape delay.

“And get off my front lawn”😂

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Bormio said:

Many folks forget as awesome as beating Russia was, they still had another opponent to face for Gold and it was no gimme!  

Finland 

Note: Al Michaels call still can give you goosebumps.  😊

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bodysurf said:

Page 1 on Day 1 of Marketing 101……… KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE

I barely could read at first glance of that magazine. 😂

Those full size pictures were so cool to a kid.   The SB with Swann’s ballet move catches spread, as example I recall.   

• Like 2

12 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

IMG_8224.jpeg

I read every edition for decades. Loved it.

I'm partial to a cover that came out before I was born, back when they were actually illustrated. Unfortunately, the SI Jinx was in effect even back then, with a knee injury ending this guy's career 2 weeks after being on the cover. People regularly sent copies of this edition to our house up until his passing, which he'd sign and return to sender. 

image.png.c6e443f1bdfc75c2ed4a1eb7846c5dab.png

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I read every edition for decades. Loved it.

I'm partial to a cover that came out before I was born, back when they were actually illustrated. Unfortunately, the SI Jinx was in effect even back then, with a knee injury ending this guy's career 2 weeks after being on the cover. People regularly sent copies of this edition to our house up until his passing, which he'd sign and return to sender. 

image.png.c6e443f1bdfc75c2ed4a1eb7846c5dab.png

So unbelievably fricking cool. 👍🏻   

The injury wasn’t of course.  

25 cents an issue?   😊

42 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Many folks forget as awesome as beating Russia was, they still had another opponent to face for Gold and it was no gimme!  

Finland 

Finland always great at hockey. I have a Soviet Igor Larionov jersey here at home I’ll have to show 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Finland always great at hockey. I have a Soviet Igor Larionov jersey here at home I’ll have to show 

👍🏻

The one country my wife and daughter haven’t visited in Scandinavia.  

Sadly, I haven’t visited any countries yet and my trip planned for June to Europe wont change that.  Bummer.  

Euro Cup is in Germany when I’m planning to be there, but tix were sold (many via lottery).  
Very expensive and Poland didn’t even qualify.  Pathetic!  

Two stadiums participating are close to where my daughter lives.   
Our plan is to do a sports bar night and catch a game with hopefully some fans from countries participating in the game.  Would be fun and German “bier” won’t hurt the experience.  

Possibly a Hail Mary (Jane), but Germany could legalize Cannabis in March… I believe I read a month or so back.  I’ll be monitoring this in a few months.  😂

CGC ticker will likely rise if this occurs (Canopy Growth).   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Finland 

People forgot the Finland game? Huh, I never have heard that.

It was round robin and if they lost they might not have even medaled had they lost. To me that game was more stressful to watch, especially the way they were playing crappy and down 2-1.

At the second intermission, Herb Brooks gave his well famous inspirational, “If you lose this game, you’ll take your fucking graves.” Started to walk out, turned around and said, “You’re fucking graves”! I don’t see how anyone forgets that 😂?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

People forgot the Finland game? Huh, I never have heard that.

It was round robin and if they lost they might not have even medaled had they lost. To me that game was more stressful to watch, especially the way they were playing crappy and down 2-1.

At the second intermission, Herb Brooks gave his well famous inspirational, “If you lose this game, you’ll take your fucking graves.” Started to walk out, turned around and said, “You’re fucking graves”! I don’t see how anyone forgets that 😂?

Surprised.  

Russia was such a huge win.  The infamous Al Michaels quote.  Eruzione’s goal shown 1 million times.  

I can guarantee very few, if any, can quote Al Michael’s final words winning Gold and can anyone remember without googling the game winner vs Finland?   Exactly.  😉 

“This impossible dream comes true” 

vs “Do you believe in Miracles…Yes” 

Ask at a bar next visit.  Any generation.  Let me know the results.   Who did USA beat in Lake Placid for Gold?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfaddict1 said:

Ask at a bar next visit.  Any generation.  Let me know the results.   Who did USA beat in Lake Placid for Gold?  

I will guess the Bar visit will probably be sometime this week 😂.

I do remember a couple years back we were planning trivia pursuit, or some other trivia game (very weird from my family, we’re not the Waltons and don’t usually play board games together.😂). My brother-in-law and I were winning and were teammates and the last question came to who did the United States beat  in Hockey to win the gold medal in 1980 Olympics? We both simultaneously shouted out Finland. Tits’ other brother who is really a dipshit, was the only one who didn't know it and I think he said Sweden.🤷‍♂️

But I will throw that question around to find out what the responses are gonna be. My friends are pretty dumb, so I’ll be curious

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

I do remember a couple years back we were planning trivia pursuit, or some other trivia game (very weird from my family, we’re not the Waltons and don’t usually play board games together.😂). My brother-in-law and I were winning and were teammates and the last question came to who did the United States beat  in Hockey to win the gold medal in 1980 Olympics? We both simultaneously shouted out Finland. Tits’ other brother who is really a dipshit, was the only one who didn't know it and I think he said Sweden.🤷‍♂️

But I will throw that question around to find out what the responses are gonna be. My friends are pretty dumb, so I’ll be curious

Gotta toss the question at random folks, like the bartender pouring or someone under the age of 40 that’s wearing a current player jersey.  😀

I don’t think we are in the norm range with sports knowledge, nor friends of sports fans who follow sports.   

Board games were cool.  Been so long.   Risk was a good one along with Stratomatic baseball and Monopoly.  My grandmother liked to play Ad-lib I think it was called with us when visiting… similar to scrabble.   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cossacks said:

Similar to Russia beating USA in olympic semi's in B-ball in 1988 . Who beat russia that yr for the gold in the final ?

3 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

Surprised.  

Russia was such a huge win.  The infamous Al Michaels quote.  Eruzione’s goal shown 1 million times.  

I can guarantee very few, if any, can quote Al Michael’s final words winning Gold and can anyone remember without googling the game winner vs Finland?   Exactly.  😉 

“This impossible dream comes true” 

vs “Do you believe in Miracles…Yes” 

I can name most players from both teams. And many of the Russian players who came before and after 1980. Tretiak was my favorite. Incredibly good goaltender. 

31 minutes ago, golfaddict1 said:

Gotta toss the question at random folks, like the bartender pouring or someone under the age of 40 that’s wearing a current player jersey.  😀

Random folks? Hell No 😂. The general public is just chalk full of RuhTards. Especially the younger generation. We are doomed. 

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8sFVNfo/

• Haha 1