Breakdown: Texas Football Championship Games

DevilDog

4 minutes ago, Horsefly said:

Excellent feel good story for the HC and son, memories of a lifetime for sure.

A brief of the Newton coach and the black Running back:  Heart pulling

Coach Johnson and his RB Darwin Barlow Share unbreakable bond all the way back to when the kid was holding the his oxygen tanks for football games In the 8th grade.  Now his star RB.  Helluva Story and sadly a true one.  Many of the ones I discovered breaking down these teams.  I

Johnston is living in limbo, unsure of how much time he has left. He developed chronic graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) of the lungs in 2015 after getting a transplant. The disease causes the white blood cells to attack the lungs, putting the afflicted in pain and making it difficult to breathe while also putting them at higher risk of contracting other illnesses. It is extremely rare, with a 2015 article in the Beaumont Enterprise claiming there have been only four cases in the U.S.

He could live another 10 years or he could die tomorrow. He is sure of one thing, though. He doesn't want his life to end before winning a state championship.

In what has so far been an atypical journey, nothing less would be expected.

“Nothing that’s happened to me has been normal," he said. "That’s what they all say.”

Darwin Barlow stood above Johnston, who moments earlier was angrily chasing an official following what he deemed a bad call.

It's 2014 and the Eagles are playing Blanco in the state semifinal. Barlow is in eighth grade, two years before he will star in Newton's backfield as a running back. He was tasked with wheeling Johnston's oxygen tank, connected to a 10-foot cord, as the coach moved erratically with each play.

On this particular play, Johnston moved too quickly for Barlow, disconnecting the cord. As quickly as he was screaming at the official he found himself on the ground, gasping for air. Barlow, overwhelmed by the sudden chaos, desperately tried to plug the hole with his thumb to keep the oxygen in.

"Plug the damn thing back in," Johnston tried to say.

Johnston laughs at the absurdity of the situation as he recalls it. He has a hearty laugh that  is infectious and often makes light of his illness.

• Like 1

Manvel-Highland Park should be a good one, and I'm really interested in the College Station, Aledo game on Saturday. This might turn out to be another good one. College Station lost to Westlake by 7, and to St Pius, which is one of the better privates in TX. Abilene Cooper gave Aledo a pretty good game. And Legacy gave Aledo a better game the 2nd time around. College Station might make this a game. The mystery game to me is Cy Fair-Midway. Could be one sided, could be close, who knows. If it's one sided I would think it would be in Midway's favor. If close it could go either way. I'm a bit surprised that Westlake was held to just 6 points by Cy Fair , but that doesn't mean much once they line up against Midway.

3 hours ago, GlenC7 said:

Manvel-Highland Park should be a good one, and I'm really interested in the College Station, Aledo game on Saturday. This might turn out to be another good one. College Station lost to Westlake by 7, and to St Pius, which is one of the better privates in TX. Abilene Cooper gave Aledo a pretty good game. And Legacy gave Aledo a better game the 2nd time around. College Station might make this a game. The mystery game to me is Cy Fair-Midway. Could be one sided, could be close, who knows. If it's one sided I would think it would be in Midway's favor. If close it could go either way. I'm a bit surprised that Westlake was held to just 6 points by Cy Fair , but that doesn't mean much once they line up against Midway.

I have not seen cy fair since the Sam McGuffie days...all of them today should be good games.