BNU Commitments

LiberalDonaldTrump

4 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

John Whitehead is a good man. But, not the right choice. Coached the team from 2004-2007 with moderate success. PC did not have the best talent then...yet managed to beat SJR and BC in the same season in 2006. Let's see where PC goes from here.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, prep82 said:

This was a horrible choice. 6-4, 5-5, 8-3, 2-8 record from 2004-2007. Man is way in over his head & I hear a lot of parents & alumni & are not happy with this hire. 

Very true...alumni and parents are not happy. 21-20 record is not great but better than one would have expected given that PC had virtually no ballers then.

8 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I was working behind the scenes w several high profile, engaged alums. Admin did their own thing despite tireless attempts to positively intervene. Wouldn't listen to any constructive feedback or advice. They had their chance. There were many prominent, experienced figureheads interested and available to choose from. Back to irrelancy. Sad day. 

I agree...PC likely done as a national team. Whitehead is a good guy but will not be able to duplicate the success under Partridge. If they manage to be competitive in NJ, that may be enough for the powers that be. Greg Russo would have been the best choice in my view.

On 5/5/2018 at 6:18 PM, Mjd33 said:

Not sure ....but not a lot of bnu ballers going to Nebraska.

I’m surirised Tyjon  Lindsey been quiet at Nebraska ..... but have a feeling Scott Frost will get the most out of them both in coming years. 

Quayshon Alexander from DePaul is at Nebraska.  

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 11:57 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

Meant better player overall, not just college. Both solid. Fryar was #1 NFL overall pick. Rozier picked #2 overall his draft year. 

That was a different kind of draft.  That was the year the USFL was raiding a lot of the talent and since it was a spring league, many were signing before the draft.  Steve Young, Reggie White, and Rozier were early first-rounders who signed early with USFL.  Gary Zimmerman, too.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

They'll be a Pool B team by 2019 along with the likes of Delby, SHP, Morris Catholic and Hudson Catholic. The admin didn't even attempt to do the right thing. They took the easy way out. 

I understand why you PC alums are upset with the choice but if they are in such dire straits as some of you have intimated then I guess I can wrap my head around the decision. Look it is a large co-ed school where the football team has come to play an outsized role in the school. Football is huge drag on resources and if you are an administration that is looking to rebalance I can see the pullback. I know us football guys would like everything for the program but unlike the wealthier all boy schools they are up against PC does have competing needs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mickeybern said:

I understand why you PC alums are upset with the choice but if they are in such dire straits as some of you have intimated then I guess I can wrap my head around the decision. Look it is a large co-ed school where the football team has come to play an outsized role in the school. Football is huge drag on resources and if you are an administration that is looking to rebalance I can see the pullback. I know us football guys would like everything for the program but unlike the wealthier all boy schools they are up against PC does have competing needs.

Aren't delbarton and shp  "wealthier all boy schools?"  Where are their football programs?  delbarton is avoiding as many BNU teams as possible.  so is shp...

don't think it's a money issue, at least not entirely money...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

I was working behind the scenes w several high profile, engaged alums. Admin did their own thing despite tireless attempts to positively intervene. Wouldn't listen to any constructive feedback or advice. They had their chance. There were many prominent, experienced figureheads interested and available to choose from. Back to irrelevancy. Sad day. 

How much experience have you had with Catholic institutions?  They don't listen to anyone but themselves.  It's not their way to listen to others.  

It's a completely top-down system...

22 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

It would be one thing if no quality candidates applied and they were forced to settle with John. However, a potpourri of highly qualified, experienced, current BNU head and assistant coaches were extremely interested and really wanted the oppty to right this ship. For reasons unbeknownst to many, the admin rejected these external candidates.  They made their own bed. So be it. 

that's kind of what I'm getting at though GSB. If you go hire a highly qualified and motivated outsider he would be coming in with the expectation of being able to replicate the Partridge era. That takes resources and commitment. By hiring a known insider the admin basically dispelled any thought of them over expending resources on the football program. It was a safe clean cut from the past.

8 minutes ago, elKakador said:

Aren't delbarton and shp  "wealthier all boy schools?"  Where are their football programs?  delbarton is avoiding as many BNU teams as possible.  so is shp...

don't think it's a money issue, at least not entirely money...

Delbarton & SHP have the money but they have decided to spend it on all the other sports. Delby (soccer,wrestling,hockey & lacrosse)..SHP ditto and throw in basketball.  Competing on the gridiron would require some creative admissions policies for both schools.  They don't have the football history and they determined it is not worth the money or the effort.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GardenStateBaller said:

It would be one thing if no quality candidates applied and they were forced to settle with John. However, a potpourri of highly qualified, experienced, current BNU head and assistant coaches were extremely interested and really wanted the oppty to right this ship. For reasons unbeknownst to many, the admin rejected these external candidates.  They made their own bed. So be it. 

I think the incidents of last year with Clark and Hardy really made everyone take a pause. The administration was not happy with all the negative press that it brought to the school. As much as any of the BNU schools want to admit it, in order to be successful at the highest levels of HS or college football, you may need to accept players that otherwise would not see the light of day at your school. It's a "deal with the devil", so to speak.

On the other hand, the level of athletic success does have a major impact on donations, enrollment, etc. It's called the "Flutie Effect" and it's a real thing. Just ask colleges like Gonzaga, Butler and the like...what has their appearances in the NCAA done for them? I remember Seton Hall seeing an increase of 15% in applications after the 1989 championship game. Bottom line, you must be able to strike a balance and PC's sudden success left them struggling to find that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GardenStateBaller said:

Problem w PC is that it's Alumni Development arm is nonexistent. The school graduated successful alums from the 70s-90s that can rival any BNU school. Yet the institution is unaware of us. CEOs, doctors, lawyers, uber successful businessmen and women, multi-millionaires, etc. They have us at their disposal, yet none of us have ever received a fundraising solicitation. Ever. 

The end result. Our money and our children go elsewhere. Sad reality. 

So true.  Amazing how many Catholic schools still don’t do this.  

Was at an alumni event for Bergen a few months ago and was talking to a guy who was telling me that his buddy from Morris Catholic is just NOW starting to put together class rosters and start an alumni class chair program, etc.  to start ensuring sustainable donations.  Scary in this day and age these schools, especially the small ones, haven’t done this.

On 5/16/2018 at 10:40 PM, GardenStateBaller said:

They'll be a Pool B team by 2019 along with the likes of Delby, SHP, Morris Catholic and Hudson Catholic. The admin didn't even attempt to do the right thing. They took the easy way out. 

They’d still be better than Morris Catholic!

You do raise a point though - a relegation/promotion system with top and bottom teams from The Red-White-Blue pools would be interesting each year based on last season.  Bosco down, DePaul up, Delby down, Hudson Catholic up, etc.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, paladin4ever said:

I think the incidents of last year with Clark and Hardy really made everyone take a pause. The administration was not happy with all the negative press that it brought to the school. As much as any of the BNU schools want to admit it, in order to be successful at the highest levels of HS or college football, you may need to accept players that otherwise would not see the light of day at your school. It's a "deal with the devil", so to speak.

On the other hand, the level of athletic success does have a major impact on donations, enrollment, etc. It's called the "Flutie Effect" and it's a real thing. Just ask colleges like Gonzaga, Butler and the like...what has their appearances in the NCAA done for them? I remember Seton Hall seeing an increase of 15% in applications after the 1989 championship game. Bottom line, you must be able to strike a balance and PC's sudden success left them struggling to find that.

Truth.  But I’d be curious as to the figures/stats - I wonder what PCs enrollment and finances were like prior to Partridge?  Was the school struggling?  How much of a difference did gridiron success actually make?  Or is it just kids and alums getting to beat their chests, but no concrete differences?

Remember the Partridge years and Sabella’s first year were actually anomalies in PC’s football program.  Up until Partridge, and then again in 2015 and 2017 it was actually par for course for them.  And it seems like 2018-forward will also be back to their historic level of play.