Defensive line of strength athletes versus a good OL?

ChimpGrip

How would a really good high school OL Fair against a defensive line made up of World's Strongest Man competitors? Beasts like Eddie Hall, Thor Bjornsson, and Brian Shaw. Being a strength athlete myself and being familiar with the sport and what these guys are capable of (people outside the sport just don't know), I think they'd eat them for lunch and dinner. 

Stupid, silly question I know. But it's a slow and boring Sunday, so forgive me. 

1 minute ago, ChimpGrip said:

How would a really good high school OL Fair against a defensive line made up of World's Strongest Man competitors? Beasts like Eddie Hall, Thor Bjornsson, and Brian Shaw. Being a strength athlete myself and being familiar with the sport and what these guys are capable of (people outside the sport just don't know), I think they'd eat them for lunch and dinner. 

Stupid, silly question I know. But it's a slow and boring Sunday, so forgive me. 

You think those guys would be quick enough off the ball?   Probably.  Can they overcome technique?  Idk.  

The strong men can tear them apart but they will get flagged for it.  

I wouldn't flag them...those guys are monsters.  

Do the strongmen have significant football experience? If not IMO a cohesive, well-coached offensive line is going to be able to scheme their way around the pure physical mismatch in place. No they're not going to overpower the big men one on one but a good line is going to identify the weaknesses of that opponent and exploit accordingly.

Just now, World Citizen said:

You think those guys would be quick enough off the ball?   Probably.  Can they overcome technique?  Idk.  

The strong men can tear them apart but they will get flagged for it.  

I wouldn't flag them...those guys are monsters.  

Yep I think they'd be quick enough. Strongmen requires a degree of athleticism and endurance to be able to win it against today's athletes. And yeah they're incredibly powerful, and only getting stronger. 

2 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Do the strongmen have significant football experience? If not IMO a cohesive, well-coached offensive line is going to be able to scheme their way around the pure physical mismatch in place. No they're not going to overpower the big men one on one but a good line is going to identify the weaknesses of that opponent and exploit accordingly.

Yeah and the QB could just get rid of the ball quickly to try to neutralize the rush, if the OL did crumble to the strongman DL. 

With about 4-5 weeks of practice, would that be enough for the strongmen DL to gel and destroy the OL?

2 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

Yep I think they'd be quick enough. Strongmen requires a degree of athleticism and endurance to be able to win it against today's athletes. And yeah they're incredibly powerful, and only getting stronger. 

Pretty incredible how strong they have become.  It would blow the minds of strong men from 30 years ago.  

What does the full human potential look like?  Can't wait to find out.  

21 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Pretty incredible how strong they have become.  It would blow the minds of strong men from 30 years ago.  

What does the full human potential look like?  Can't wait to find out.  

This is a question that is often thought to be answered when records are set. 

Records in all the major lifts and events (including atlas stones, Austrian log, etc.) will continue to increase. The "limits" are broken all the time. 

As more and more people get involved in the strength sports, the diamonds will appear in the rough more often. What I mean by this is that there will be more "freaks" out there like Thor pulling 1000 pounds off the floor at 28 years old. Training methods will also increase, because knowledge of heavy duty training will increase as the records do. 

I think Shaw will load a 600 pound stone and beyond, and I think a 600 pound log lift will be done, as well as the mythical 800 pound raw bench. 

Whenever I finish, I'll have to share with you my article on the myth of wild primate strength (e.g. chimps). They're not nearly as strong as billed. The strongest men are absolutely on top of the heap.

• Like 2

This is a question that is often thought to be answered when records are set. 

Records in all the major lifts and events (including atlas stones, Austrian log, etc.) will continue to increase. The "limits" are broken all the time. 

As more and more people get involved in the strength sports, the diamonds will appear in the rough more often. What I mean by this is that there will be more "freaks" out there like Thor pulling 1000 pounds off the floor at 28 years old. Training methods will also increase, because knowledge of heavy duty training will increase as the records do. 

I think Shaw will load a 600 pound stone and beyond, and I think a 600 pound log lift will be done, as well as the mythical 800 pound raw bench. 

Whenever I finish, I'll have to share with you my article on the myth of wild primate strength. The strongest men are on top of the heap.

Like to see that article.  

The weights you mention - you might as well be talking in Arabic bc it's hard to fathom anyone doing that.  Impressive.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

A good HS OL would zone block and run the 28 sweep all day...the strong men would not do well moving laterally.

43 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

HS as in max 18-19 years of age vs mature strongmen?   

Ferrigno tried out for the Jets I believe and Lesner the Vikings.  

DLS type blocking low and hard is imo the only chance.  Sure pulling kids is logical but  c’mon you’re talking off the ball some serious strength drive up the middle for the LB’s to clean up.  Guys like Pudzianowski and Savickas as DT’s vs HS kids I don’t think will end well.  

Now college FBS and above it gets a bit more clear.  Maturity, more strength and size and better technique.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ChimpGrip said:

They could still push bodies out of the way pretty easily, I'd think.

For a while..but being that big and having that much muscle will catch up to them...they’ll gas out really quick or pull muscles...

wrestled and trained in BJJ for a lot of years...muscle heads were hard to deal with for about 2 minutes then they would start sucking wind...playing in the trenches is a lot like grappling

1 hour ago, ChimpGrip said:

I suggest leaving some of your ill gotten gains at CHURCH as an avocation!

4 minutes ago, Eddyr2 said:

For a while..but being that big and having that much muscle will catch up to them...they’ll gas out really quick or pull muscles...

wrestled and trained in BJJ for a lot of years...muscle heads were hard to deal with for about 2 minutes then they would start sucking wind...playing in the trenches is a lot like grappling

THAT'S why you see agility drills and gassers indoors, at the Colquitt County Packer weight training facility!

7 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Whenever I finish, I'll have to share with you my article on the myth of wild primate strength (e.g. chimps). They're not nearly as strong as billed. The strongest men are absolutely on top of the heap.

Depends a lot on the particular primate you are talking about.  Raw strength maybe. Strength per pound, yea I need to see some real numbers on that.

7 hours ago, Ararar said:

Athletes that are great in one discipline are seldom great/good in another.Pure strength isn’t a requirement for a DL

True. But they have a lot of power and endurance, must have both to compete in top level strongman competitions today. Football can be very technical though.

7 hours ago, golfaddict1 said:

HS as in max 18-19 years of age vs mature strongmen?   

Ferrigno tried out for the Jets I believe and Lesner the Vikings.  

DLS type blocking low and hard is imo the only chance.  Sure pulling kids is logical but  c’mon you’re talking off the ball some serious strength drive up the middle for the LB’s to clean up.  Guys like Pudzianowski and Savickas as DT’s vs HS kids I don’t think will end well.  

Now college FBS and above it gets a bit more clear.  Maturity, more strength and size and better technique.  

Yes, 18 year olds. And yes that's all true. The high school kids would get manhandled and the veer-type would be the only hope. If those strongmen could get technique down, watch out. 

6 hours ago, Eddyr2 said:

Grappling can be gasing, but they have much better endurance than most think. Yes they're incredibly strong, but winning strongman competitions at the elite level (The Arnold, World's Strongest Man, etc.) requires some athleticism and endurance. You can be the strongest guy out there, but if you're worn out after the log press, you'll likely lose when you go to the stones. 

10 minutes ago, Fred said:

Depends a lot on the particular primate you are talking about.  Raw strength maybe. Strength per pound, yea I need to see some real numbers on that.

Gorillas, orangutans, and chimps. This is regarding...

1. How do we answer the question of, who is stronger? If Person X benches 500, but person Y squats 500, who is stronger? This simple question presents the issue with primate strength claims.

2. And yes, elite human raw strength is ahead. 

Not in the mental position to type up an abstract of the piece. Also, I have a family member who's worked in a zoo for 30 years. 

16 hours ago, ChimpGrip said:

Gorillas, orangutans, and chimps. This is regarding...

1. How do we answer the question of, who is stronger? If Person X benches 500, but person Y squats 500, who is stronger? This simple question presents the issue with primate strength claims.

2. And yes, elite human raw strength is ahead. 

Not in the mental position to type up an abstract of the piece. Also, I have a family member who's worked in a zoo for 30 years. 

I'm at an institution that has around 4,000 great apes so I go by what they tell me.

On 2/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, ChimpGrip said:

This is men against boys right.  I would take the men.

Now those same men against really good college OL or NFL OL would probably get schooled.