Cocoa Coach Wilkinson to New Smyrna

PrepGridiron

12 minutes ago, PrepGridiron said:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2018/03/07/cocoas-wilkinson-leaving-new-smyrna-beach/403266002/

I don't recall the thread, but I know we discussed a potential move for Wilkinson. Florida guys: How big is this?

It probably will shake up brevard county 

Had it not been for viera coach also leaving they probably would have had some transfers off cocoa but this will be interesting 

57 minutes ago, Drummer61 said:

He could be one of the best in Florida....I saw his team play in Jersey and have respected this man and his teams at little Cocoa...

He is not one of the best ever,  but he would be if he brought titles to NSB. 

The first three titles were won in the very small classes against inferior competition.  The one title he won in 4A was with double digit transfers  after losing five years in a row to Booker T. 

Not sure how that is one of the best ever  but he has a chance.  If he could win a title at NSB then he certainly is in the conversation 

1 hour ago, PrepGridiron said:

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2018/03/07/cocoas-wilkinson-leaving-new-smyrna-beach/403266002/

I don't recall the thread, but I know we discussed a potential move for Wilkinson. Florida guys: How big is this?

My initial thought was his family must sure dig New Smyrna Beach.    I suppose he can get transfers by reputation, but that's quite a drop down in football quality.   This move should benefit Viera, but I will defer to the locals and more knowledgeable forum brethren about that.  I'm not sure if Cocoa keeps status quo with an assistant or other quality replacement or if they take a bit of a recruit and overall team quality hit.    Cocoa was always a team to take on anybody anywhere... I hope the replacement can keep the same spirit and success.   

Good luck to Wilk, family does come first.   

48 minutes ago, Columbiafan said:

It probably will shake up brevard county 

Had it not been for viera coach also leaving they probably would have had some transfers off cocoa but this will be interesting 

Oh the Viera HC left too?   LOL.  Well FL avg. well over 100+ a year HC turnaround.   This is par for the course.  

1 hour ago, PrepGridiron said:

It is huge. He has a lot of work to do at NSBHS. Maybe he ends up poaching some of Mainland's talent.

48 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

He is not one of the best ever,  but he would be if he brought titles to NSB. 

The first three titles were won in the very small classes against inferior competition.  The one title he won in 4A was with double digit transfers  after losing five years in a row to Booker T. 

Not sure how that is one of the best ever  but he has a chance.  If he could win a title at NSB then he certainly is in the conversation 

Just like da STACHE and Toal being the best at recruiting in THEIR areas!xD

15 minutes ago, Nolebull813 said:

Pretty much. Usually the team with the most stud transfers is gonna win the title. Not always, but most of the time 

I don't recall Dr Phillips being loaded in transfers

I don't recall Venice being loaded in transfers 

I don't recall raines being loaded in transfers 

I don't recall Madison County being loaded in transfers

Thats half the champs from 2017 right there, geez nolebull i thought you were a FL expert 

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

I don't recall Dr Phillips being loaded in transfers

I don't recall Venice being loaded in transfers 

I don't recall raines being loaded in transfers 

I don't recall Madison County being loaded in transfers

Thats half the champs from 2017 right there, geez nolebull i thought you were a FL expert 

Dr Phillips lives off transfers. 

Venice had a few but not like Cocoa and STA have been getting

How do you know Raines dosnt have any? Duval is a carousel. 

And Madison County is in the middle of nowhere. They can't get transfers. 

So what the hell are you talking about? 

• Haha 1

Just now, GardenStateBaller said:

He's in denial. It happens all over America, and there's nothing wrong with it. 

He might not understand the dynamic because he is in an area that can't get transfers. Lake City is a truck stop town. Not enough jobs for people to move to and bring their stud football playing kids with them 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

He might not understand the dynamic because he is in an area that can't get transfers. Lake City is a truck stop town. Not enough jobs for people to move to and bring their stud football playing kids with them 

We have gotten transfers from surrounding counties each year because teams like Hamilton and Suwannee aren't competitive anymore 

Hell we have gotten transfers from Union County and Baker County as well

Just not at a high rate like sta or bolles or trinity Christian get

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nolebull813 said:

Because raines has always had the reputation of protecting the westside area, they win with almost entirely homegrown talent and few transfers they get are from schools like ed white, first Coast and Lee who are all on west side of duval 

1 hour ago, GardenStateBaller said:

He's in denial. It happens all over America, and there's nothing wrong with it. 

Transfers yes

Teams being loaded in transfers no

There are only a small percentage of schools in florida that are loaded in transfers, the numbers get inflated but a lot of these transfers are players switching back and forth between schools they could get zoned for (Miami for example where you have like 20 high schools in a 5 mile radius)

Down there you are walking distance from several schools so they don't really have to transfer

• Thanks 1

I grew up across the street from USF campus before they had football team. I was a die hard Florida State fan since the 90's. I started out watching the NFL cuz my parents are Yankees and didn't watch much college. As I got into school I started watching college and picked FSU. In Tampa and probably a lot around Central Florida, you usually pick Florida, Florida State or Miami. I went with the Noles and never looked back. 

When USF got a team I didn't really follow them until they became a D1 in conference USA. I followed their transition and couldn't be happier in 2007 when they beat ranked Auburn and West Virginia and rose to number 2 in the country. 

I went to the USF/FSU game at Ray Jay and secretly were pulling for little brother. Lol. It was a practical home game for FSU. 

End life story 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nolebull813 said:

Lol I was gonna say.   Orlando teams are known for this.  

Catscatch and myself ( Dan ) have talked about this possible move for years. Below was taken from "Merritt Island" thread pg. 13 on Feb. 2 & 3. I'm talking to my pal Darter. Sorry for the poor computer skills. I'm a pen and paper guy.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, DarterBlue said:

If he did leave Cocoa, I believe it would be for Merritt Island. Wilk is not a spread guy and I feel that for Viera to succeed it needs to run a heavily pass oriented type of offense.

Vierra is a very affluent, suburban area and I can't see them running the smash mouth offense that Cocoa ran under Wilkerson. Just my ten cents.

I could certainly see him returning to his Alma Marta, though. And, it would be a shorter drive home. 

(Dan).....to New Smyrna Beach, where he lives. They (NSB) also need a (6A) HC. This rumor has been floating around for years. There's been a Merritt Island/NSB/Cocoa connection for many years. It started with coach Gerald Odom and some of the boys who played for him.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:07 AM, DarterBlue said:

That would be an intriguing move. Do you think he would seriously consider it?

(Dan)...Don't know the man, it's pure speculation, but he and family live in the area. His boyhood buddy from Pop Warner thru high school ( Lance Jenkins ) was the head coach at NSB till 2015?  There are a group of area business men (NSB) who aren't afraid to throw dollars around. Booker T Washington High, out of Miami, won 10K two years in a row by winning a summer 7 on 7 tournament in New Smyrna Beach. The runner ups won 5K. So anything is possible. You know, as I do, in Florida most head coaches get 4-5K over their teaching salaries. That's the norm.

7 hours ago, dan in daytona said:

Catscatch and myself ( Dan ) have talked about this possible move for years. Below was taken from "Merritt Island" thread pg. 13 on Feb. 2 & 3. I'm talking to my pal Darter. Sorry for the poor computer skills. I'm a pen and paper guy.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:45 PM, DarterBlue said:

If he did leave Cocoa, I believe it would be for Merritt Island. Wilk is not a spread guy and I feel that for Viera to succeed it needs to run a heavily pass oriented type of offense.

Vierra is a very affluent, suburban area and I can't see them running the smash mouth offense that Cocoa ran under Wilkerson. Just my ten cents.

I could certainly see him returning to his Alma Marta, though. And, it would be a shorter drive home. 

(Dan).....to New Smyrna Beach, where he lives. They (NSB) also need a (6A) HC. This rumor has been floating around for years. There's been a Merritt Island/NSB/Cocoa connection for many years. It started with coach Gerald Odom and some of the boys who played for him.

On 2/3/2018 at 7:07 AM, DarterBlue said:

That would be an intriguing move. Do you think he would seriously consider it?

(Dan)...Don't know the man, it's pure speculation, but he and family live in the area. His boyhood buddy from Pop Warner thru high school ( Lance Jenkins ) was the head coach at NSB till 2015?  There are a group of area business men (NSB) who aren't afraid to throw dollars around. Booker T Washington High, out of Miami, won 10K two years in a row by winning a summer 7 on 7 tournament in New Smyrna Beach. The runner ups won 5K. So anything is possible. You know, as I do, in Florida most head coaches get 4-5K over their teaching salaries. That's the norm.

Sharp prediction :)