2018 Watch list for Tiers

Sammyswordsman

22 hours ago, Sammyswordsman said:

The National Elites (Tier 1 preliminary) for Summer 2018 season

SJB, Mater Dei, IMG, St. John's, SFA, Bishop Gorman, Allen, STA

Others to watch

Chandler, Perry, AHP, Grayson,  De Matha, Colerain, Pickerington Central, Katy, Cy-Fair, DLS, Northwestern, Miami Central, Hoover

Fringe teams

UHigh, Ben Davis, Pine Richland, North Gwinett, Bingham, OLU, Colquitt, JSerra, Cen10, MV, Bergen Catholic, SJR, Arch Bishop Wood, Iggy, Manvel, Trinity, Saguro, Narbonne, Serra Gardena, devil, St. Louis, Mountain Pointe, SJR,  Bergen Catholic, Rome, St. Edwards, St. Xavier, Lowndes, Carol City, Cardinal Gibbons, Dwyer, Marietta 

Add Lake Travis,  TX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Columbiafan said:

So who supposed to be good in AZ this year 

Nationally aside from Chandler it's hard to say. Shocked that Perry was included considering they're only major Arizona team without an OOS game (as well as an absolutely gutless in-state schedule). I've been very vocal that Centennial has a good deal coming back but ultimately their season will be defined by the Gorman game (as it pertains to national implications). Mountain Pointe replaced their coach with what amounts to an all-star coaching staff and has some good pieces back; apart from Chandler they again will have the best shot at national prominence since they'll likely get 2+ statement games  (OOS Bingham game, likely playoff match-up versus Chandler, some other random 6A squad that will inexplicably and illogically emerge in the national conversation a la 2017 Perry). Pinnacle has one of nation's best QBs and gets immediate shots at Perry, Mountain Pointe, and JSerra  (will go 2-1 in those games). 

Saguaro will likely run the table versus Arizona comp but even if they pull off 14-0 I don't think beating Gorman's favorite effeminate cell mate and the best team from the ugly sister of SoCal football sections deserves national acclaim.

IMO you learn a lot about how good these teams are going to be by their non-region schedule  (first five games)-coaches aren't scheduling games they don't expect their teams to compete in 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sportsnut said:

This is under assault. 

Really, it is down right impossible.

Without a playoff, the bet teams are everywhere.

In Georgia, your tier 1' are not.

In Texas, your tier 1's are not.

In South Carolina, your tier 1's are not.

Everyone is a team to watch.

They have not beat teams from other states with a say so, so you can't say so.

The audacity.

So why not help improve the product ?  Mr. Know it all. 

9 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Might want to bump SFA down a tier...

They just lost their senior QB Jalon Jones(Florida commit). He’s heading back home to Richmond, VA. I believe SFA has a highly touted freshman as next in line, but still, not going to be the same. This won’t be the only movement in or out of SFA. 

Where did he transfer to, Varina or Hermitage? 

11 hours ago, NicholasMalibu said:

Might want to bump SFA down a tier...

They just lost their senior QB Jalon Jones(Florida commit). He’s heading back home to Richmond, VA. I believe SFA has a highly touted freshman as next in line, but still, not going to be the same. This won’t be the only movement in or out of SFA. 

Dang... Why... They had a chance to be --- hella good.

1 hour ago, ECHS05 said:

Dang... Why... They had a chance to be --- hella good.

I’m just guessing, but he’s already committed to Florida and SFA has been through a bunch of nonsense off the field. His father is a very well known pastor and city councilman in Richmond(not homeless), so why not be with your family and friends for your last year of high school? He will get the college experience in a few months. 

19 minutes ago, BUFORDGAWOLVES said:

What the actual heck is going on with SFA?

@NicholasMalibu

It’s complicated. The coaching staff is heavily funded at a school where they can control admissions. They are good guys who are really trying to help as many kids as possible. They are also highly competitive, so building a national powerhouse was natural.

The rest of the league(MIAA-Baltimore private) feels like SFA isn’t governed and felt like forfeiting was the only option to prove a point. Both sides were very emotional and made some bad moves. The real problem here is the league leadership. They have done nothing to make sure this never happened. There should of been some middle ground reached a year ago. In my honest opinion, I feel like MIAA leadership was terrified of a racial claim, so they froze, said a Hail Mary and did nothing. 

In the end, I feel bad for the kids at SFA. Hopefully they can figure this out. They have smart guys on that staff. I’m sure they will, but it sucks right now. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NicholasMalibu said:

It’s complicated. The coaching staff is heavily funded at a school where they can control admissions. They are good guys who are really trying to help as many kids as possible. They are also highly competitive, so building a national powerhouse was natural.

The rest of the league(MIAA-Baltimore private) feels like SFA isn’t governed and felt like forfeiting was the only option to prove a point. Both sides were very emotional and made some bad moves. The real problem here is the league leadership. They have done nothing to make sure this never happened. There should of been some middle ground reached a year ago. In my honest opinion, I feel like MIAA leadership was terrified of a racial claim, so they froze, said a Hail Mary and did nothing. 

In the end, I feel bad for the kids at SFA. Hopefully they can figure this out. They have smart guys on that staff. I’m sure they will, but it sucks right now. 

It really did sound like to me, that the mission for SFA is/has become totally different than that of the reat of the MIAA schools. 

Not saying that is wrong headed, because the coach went far to convincing that the intentions are good, but, this is and will be an ongoing issue in more and more places as we see more and more of these types of transfer favorite schools emerge, seemingly unfettered. 

If the associations won't/can't do anything to keep the playing field level, then it will be left up to the schools to rebuke what they see as unfair or unbalanced. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HawgGoneIt said:

It really did sound like to me, that the mission for SFA is/has become totally different than that of the reat of the MIAA schools. 

Not saying that is wrong headed, because the coach went far to convincing that the intentions are good, but, this is and will be an ongoing issue in more and more places as we see more and more of these types of transfer favorite schools emerge, seemingly unfettered. 

If the associations won't/can't do anything to keep the playing field level, then it will be left up to the schools to rebuke what they see as unfair or unbalanced. 

I completely agree. The forfeiting schools should of said publicly, we don’t want to invest that much money into football. Hiding behind a fear of injury or whatever was for shock value just like SFA claiming race or cowardice. It’s became a war of public opinion. 

This has happened in leagues very close to the MIAA. The DC catholic league(WCAC) with St. John’s, DeMatha, Good Counsel, Gonzaga, etc... had to define itself last year. They split into two divisions based on competitiveness($$$). In that situation, the Washington Post released an over dramatic article detailing the difference in play across the league. The WCAC brought in new leadership and fixed the problem. Problem solved, for now. The MIAA should of done the same thing. Even if that meant SFA leaving the league, they would of had enough time to schedule properly. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NicholasMalibu said:

The forfeiting schools should of said publicly, we don’t want to invest that much money into football. Hiding behind a fear of injury or whatever was for shock value...

I'm not completely aware of the situation with SFA, but in other somewhat similar instances, I've seen where fear of injury was a legitimate concern.

When Valor Christian was in the midst of their 10-year run after the school opened of winning 7 championships in a row while climbing classifications, a public school forfeited their game with Valor on the day of the game. Here's the situation:

Valor at the time was playing in the 2nd highest classification, and was placed in a random league for athletics that was made up of them and a group of public schools. Valor had a team that consisted of 4 D1 offensive lineman, 3 D1 QBs, and 2 D1 RBs (including a future Heisman runner up). Their defense was not as loaded, but had much more talent than any other team in Colorado that year.

Toward the end of the year, their JV played one of the last place teams in their league, and won by a score of 77-0. The next day the Varsity teams were scheduled to play, and 7 of the varsity starters from the Valor opponent did not show up to school that day. So, 7 of the kids who were thumped 77-0 against the JV were now in line to start against the Valor varsity. That school decided to forfeit the game to prevent potential injury.

Agree with the decision or not, fear of injury was a real consideration.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, maxchoboian said:

I'm not completely aware of the situation with SFA, but in other somewhat similar instances, I've seen where fear of injury was a legitimate concern.

When Valor Christian was in the midst of their 10-year run after the school opened of winning 7 championships in a row while climbing classifications, a public school forfeited their game with Valor on the day of the game. Here's the situation:

Valor at the time was playing in the 2nd highest classification, and was placed in a random league for athletics that was made up of them and a group of public schools. Valor had a team that consisted of 4 D1 offensive lineman, 3 D1 QBs, and 2 D1 RBs (including a future Heisman runner up). Their defense was not as loaded, but had much more talent than any other team in Colorado that year.

Toward the end of the year, their JV played one of the last place teams in their league, and won by a score of 77-0. The next day the Varsity teams were scheduled to play, and 7 of the varsity starters from the Valor opponent did not show up to school that day. So, 7 of the kids who were thumped 77-0 against the JV were now in line to start against the Valor varsity. That school decided to forfeit the game to prevent potential injury.

Agree with the decision or not, fear of injury was a real consideration.

That makes sense in that situation. Concerning the MIAA/SFA deal, I don’t think injury had much to do with the decision other than using sympathy to distract. I mean, we’re talking about teams like McDonogh with 8+FBS Power 5 starters who are forfeiting. Most of these schools like Mt. St. Joe’s and Calvert Hall average OL’s around 6’2 280lbs. All of them recruit the 8th grade all star leagues.They didn’t want to invest in the arms race like SFA, who has been taking in double digit D1 bound transfers. There were problems when this staff was at Gilman, but they were controlled(protected) there because the school would only allow so much. There are no boundaries at SFA and it’s reached a boiling point.

The forfeiting teams acted bratty and SFA was naive. The actual blame goes on league leadership. They get paid so situations like this never happen. They didn’t do their job. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2018 at 10:29 AM, Sammyswordsman said:

The National Elites (Tier 1 preliminary) for Summer 2018 season

SJB, Mater Dei, IMG, St. John's, Bishop Gorman, Allen, STA

Others to watch

Chandler, Perry, AHP, Grayson,  De Matha, Colerain, Pickerington Central, Katy, Cy-Fair, DLS, Northwestern, Miami Central, Hoover, Lake Travis, SFA

Fringe teams

UHigh, Ben Davis, Pine Richland, North Gwinett, Bingham, OLU, Colquitt, JSerra, Cen10, MV, Bergen Catholic, SJR, Arch Bishop Wood, Iggy, Manvel, Trinity, Saguro, Narbonne, Serra Gardena, devil, St. Louis, Mountain Pointe, SJR,  Bergen Catholic, Rome, St. Edwards, St. Xavier, Lowndes, Carol City, Cardinal Gibbons, Dwyer, Marietta, Centennial AZ, Pinnacle AZ

Sammy doesn't even begin devil with a capital. Love it. 😄

Rodney.jpg.5c2e2c1d3f39aba9f14167bccf64bf7a.jpg

• Haha 1